• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Your ranking is based on whatever country you're registered as being from on the WCA. Don't remember the guy's name, but there's a fella who lives in Canada, but was able to change the country on his profile to Mauritius to get tons of national records

That's correct. Also the guy you're thinking of is Ryan Pin Harry, @DSR cuber

xyzzy

No, DNF for not using their OBTM notation.
"OBTM" is the name of the turn metric; the notation itself is just the "WCA notation".

In FMC, are you allowed to write M and it counts as two moves or do you have to write Lw L' ?
> E2c4) The competitor's solution must only use moves that are exactly defined as notation for the 3x3x3 Cube in Regulation 12a, and must not use any symbols or combinations of symbols that are not specifically defined there. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

Emphasis mine; note that the allowed notation does not include slice moves. (Your question has already been answered, but it's good to know how to look it up for yourself, and ask only if you're still in doubt.)

EvanTheCuber

Can you twist corners in OLL? Like sometimes I twist 2 corners during OLL and I don't have to twist them back? Is this legal in competitions?

I'm A Cuber

@EvanTheCuber Next time when you want to ask a question, instead of creating a new thread post your question in a One Answer Question thread

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
@TwistKid got in trouble a few years back for twisting corners to solve OLL in comp. Everybody got really mad at him for it, but he genuinely thought that's how you solve OLL. He came back to cubing, but has only put one message on the forums. Here is his member intro if you're interested:

If a there was a regulation of when the cube is damaged, it would be disqualified, almost everyone would buy new cubes by now because I could speculate, once in a while someone's cube has been dropped.
but I think, yes maybe? search the WCA regulations page : https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/
The cube is only disqualified if it has some different types of plastic all around the cube for example : in the edge there was this type of plastic and in the corner it has a different type of plastic when compared to the edge and something like that or if it was modded. Cube solve hero's Mei GC Yeet is an example of a cube that may be disqualified.

Last edited:

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there,
I got a new 4x4 and being the clumsy cuber that I am, I’ve already dropped it. Twice.

Unfortunately my cube has taken quite a beating from both of these drops and has some drop and damage marks.

I’ve attached some pictures of the 4x4 below. Can someone tell if my cube is still comp legal?
I would also appreciate it if you left your response in the poll and also gave me an explanation as to why my cube is/isn’t comp legal.
Thanks!
There are delegates who are super anal about that stuff, but I don't think there's any way your cube would be disallowed.

brododragon

Bump. I know this is more of a discussion thing than question, but this is the best thread I can find. Doesn’t the DNF corner twist rule seem a bit dumb? I mean, you get punished more for something tot have almost no control over (corner twisting) than making a mistake (1 move off is +2).

@ProStar

Last edited: