• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

Liam Wadek

WCA
2017WADE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It should be created once the competition you attended has the results up on the WCA.
If the results of the competition is on the WCA and you still don't have your WCA ID, contact the delegate(s) of the competition.

Update: I think this one is you, though?:

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
More questions...
What is the intro to competing about? I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to make it, especially at 9:15.

It's typically an introduction on how the competition flow works and how to be a judge for the competition. While Cyotheking has a good video that covers the competing side of things, it doesn't cover all of what a judge does and is not competition-specific. I'd recommend coming on time to this part of the schedule if it's your first time.

And lastly, what sort of ID do I need? Birth certificate, passport,etc?

This varies by region. Technically, by the regulations, you need something that proves your country of citizenship, such as a government ID or passport. However, in the US, this is often relaxed, as the typical 14 year old competitor likely has neither of these things. Thus, we typically just assume that everyone is from the US unless they pick a different citizenship, and in that case we verify since they would have to have a passport to be in the US under that circumstance. To contrast, I believe that in Europe they check identification of all new competitors since it's more common for all kids to have a passport.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's typically an introduction on how the competition flow works and how to be a judge for the competition. While Cyotheking has a good video that covers the competing side of things, it doesn't cover all of what a judge does and is not competition-specific. I'd recommend coming on time to this part of the schedule if it's your first time.

This varies by region. Technically, by the regulations, you need something that proves your country of citizenship, such as a government ID or passport. However, in the US, this is often relaxed, as the typical 14 year old competitor likely has neither of these things. Thus, we typically just assume that everyone is from the US unless they pick a different citizenship, and in that case we verify since they would have to have a passport to be in the US under that circumstance. To contrast, I believe that in Europe they check identification of all new competitors since it's more common for all kids to have a passport.
I don’t know if I can make it though... I’m relying on my parents to drive me there, and I don’t think they’d be too keen waking up early just to arrive for a introduction I don’t even need. So just asking if it’s like really necessary.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don’t know if I can make it though... I’m relying on my parents to drive me there, and I don’t think they’d be too keen waking up early just to arrive for a introduction I don’t even need. So just asking if it’s like really necessary.
If this is your first competition, yes, you need to go to it.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok then. I guess I’ll be waking up early on Sunday morning...
You're in the UK, right?

Bring your passport as ID, and don't worry about missing the intro to competing. They just explain how to do it. Watch some videos, like CyoTheKing's, practise with a stackmat to get used to it, and maybe ask someone to show you when you do arrive if you're still unsure or if you don't have a stackmat. It's not hard as long as you know what to expect. Make sure to arrive in plenty of time for your first event as if you're late, you're out.

My first time tip would be to start straight away when they call 8 seconds. The next 4 seconds pass in no time, and when they call 12 seconds you'll panic. Inspection goes much quicker than you'd expect: )

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
You're in the UK, right?

Bring your passport as ID, and don't worry about missing the intro to competing. They just explain how to do it. Watch some videos, like CyoTheKing's, practise with a stackmat to get used to it, and maybe ask someone to show you when you do arrive if you're still unsure or if you don't have a stackmat. It's not hard as long as you know what to expect. Make sure to arrive in plenty of time for your first event as if you're late, you're out.

My first time tip would be to start straight away when they call 8 seconds. The next 4 seconds pass in no time, and when they call 12 seconds you'll panic. Inspection goes much quicker than you'd expect: )
Thanks!

Blakers22

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I have some questions about my first comp. Do I have to bring my own timer and mat. And do I have to volunteer to judge and scramble. Please help!

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I have some questions about my first comp. Do I have to bring my own timer and mat. And do I have to volunteer to judge and scramble. Please help!
You do not have to bring a mat or timer. You will not be asked to scramble. However, you may be required to judge. It's easy and they'll teach you how to it.

GAN 356 X

You do not have to bring a mat or timer. You will not be asked to scramble. However, you may be required to judge. It's easy and they'll teach you how to it.
I judged on the second day of my first comp. Its really fun cos you can see really good cubers close up doing there thing! remember to say 8 and 12 at the right time, I messed that up a few times now

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Judging here is required only for people who aren't at their first comp, but I judged at my first comp. Judging isn't something you should avoid. I actually enjoy it and don't consider it a chore that must be done. You get to see many cubers solve their cube, from super fast ones to slower ones. So definitely try judging when you have a chance.