• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

Iwannaganx

This is part of the email i got for my first comp

If this is your first competition please remember:
Bring some form of ID for registration. If you are not competing under Australia, please also bring your passport or proof of citizenship.

please tell me, is a school card ok to bring as "ID for registration?" i am aussie, is that "competing under australia?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01

Bring some form of ID for registration. If you are not competing under Australia, please also bring your passport or proof of citizenship.

please tell me, is a school card ok to bring as "ID for registration?" i am aussie, is that "competing under australia?
If you live in the same country that the comps is taking place you should be just fine with a school ID. You could always bring your school ID and another form of ID jut in case, but again a school ID should be fine. Additionally, you can email the comp organizer or delegate to be double sure.

Does everyone in the same round get the same scramble?
Each round will have at least 2 heats (Unless there are not enough people to make 2 heats) and each heat in a round will have the same scrambles. For instance if you are in 3x3 Round 1 heat 2 then everyone in your heat will have the same scrambles, but people in heat 1, 3-6 etc. will have different scrambles then your heat.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

So, some reasons that you're not getting the best responses:
Those answering haven't had to deal with your issue. Personally, I didn't bring verification to my first competition and as far as I'm aware, most people in the US don't.

A school ID sounds like it should be good enough to me, but as cubeshepard said, double check with your delegate if you're really unsure.

And from what I can tell, yes, if you are Australian, then you are competing for or "under" Australia.

Iwannaganx

So, some reasons that you're not getting the best responses:
Those answering haven't had to deal with your issue. Personally, I didn't bring verification to my first competition and as far as I'm aware, most people in the US don't.

A school ID sounds like it should be good enough to me, but as cubeshepard said, double check with your delegate if you're really unsure.

And from what I can tell, yes, if you are Australian, then you are competing for or "under" Australia.
If you live in the same country that the comps is taking place you should be just fine with a school ID. You could always bring your school ID and another form of ID jut in case, but again a school ID should be fine. Additionally, you can email the comp organizer or delegate to be double sure.

Each round will have at least 2 heats (Unless there are not enough people to make 2 heats) and each heat in a round will have the same scrambles. For instance if you are in 3x3 Round 1 heat 2 then everyone in your heat will have the same scrambles, but people in heat 1, 3-6 etc. will have different scrambles then your heat.
Thanks to the both of you. I'll take my school id and see if I can find something else to take as well.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most people follow along on cubecomps to see the standings for their events at a competition. It's always announced ahead of time how many people will advance so you'll know just by checking standings. And quite often, results get printed and posted at the venue so you'll know that way, too. Trust me, you'll have no trouble knowing if you've advanced.

When you're done with a round, you take your cube with you and go back to the audience area.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Most people follow along on cubecomps to see the standings for their events at a competition. It's always announced ahead of time how many people will advance so you'll know just by checking standings. And quite often, results get printed and posted at the venue so you'll know that way, too. Trust me, you'll have no trouble knowing if you've advanced.

When you're done with a round, you take your cube with you and go back to the audience area.
Thanks!

MarkA64

How peeled is peeled enough to not be allowed in WCA comps?

I have an Air Sm I want to use but I am not sure if it will be allowed

theos

WCA
2017LAWR04
How peeled is peeled enough to not be allowed in WCA comps?

I have an Air Sm I want to use but I am not sure if it will be allowed

From the regulations:
WCA regulation 3j said:
Puzzles must ... not have any ... damage ... that significantly distinguish any piece from a similar piece.
This means regular, even wear should be okay. Best is to post a picture here so actual delegates can take a look. Otherwise make sure to take a backup cube to your competition so if it's decided that your cube can't be used then you can switch to the backup.

Would an extra attempt be given or does the solve done still count? If you were to sneeze during a solve, you basically instantly stop whatever you were doing during the sneeze and would disrupt your times by a few seconds as your look ahead and thought process were interrupted due to factors which you had no control over.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would an extra attempt be given or does the solve done still count? If you were to sneeze during a solve, you basically instantly stop whatever you were doing during the sneeze and would disrupt your times by a few seconds as your look ahead and thought process were interrupted due to factors which you had no control over.

Definitely no extra.