• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Is it illegal for the cube to fall on the timer/timer then lap after releasing it?

• A6e) After releasing the puzzle, the competitor must not touch or move the puzzle until the judge has inspected the puzzle. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF). Exception: If no moves have been applied, a time penalty (+2 seconds) may be assigned instead, at the discretion of the judge
Looks like the lap could possibly be argued to be a +2. I thought I had seen something in the rules before about puzzles on timers but I am either mistaken or just missed it.
(Disclaimer: I am not a delegate)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
  • A6e) After releasing the puzzle, the competitor must not touch or move the puzzle until the judge has inspected the puzzle. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF). Exception: If no moves have been applied, a time penalty (+2 seconds) may be assigned instead, at the discretion of the judge
Looks like the lap could possibly be argued to be a +2. I thought I had seen something in the rules before about puzzles on timers but I am either mistaken or just missed it.
(Disclaimer: I am not a delegate)
It doesn't have to be argued. It's written clearly in the guidelines:
  • A6e+) CLARIFICATION If the puzzle falls into the lap of the competitor after stopping the timer, this is considered touching the puzzle.

if it's touching the timer after it stops that's a plus 2, but if it hits the timer on the way down it's too hard to tell if it hit it or not, so that's fine.
The penalty for the cube touching the timer isn't in the regulations any more, anyway if I recall correctly, that was only for starting the solve, not stopping it.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't have to be argued. It's written clearly in the guidelines:
  • A6e+) CLARIFICATION If the puzzle falls into the lap of the competitor after stopping the timer, this is considered touching the puzzle.

The penalty for the cube touching the timer isn't in the regulations any more, anyway if I recall correctly, that was only for starting the solve, not stopping it.
hmmm. I know there was a penalty for it touching the timer after the solve, but I'll check for this year.

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
Is it cheating when you corner twist when unsolvable
WCA regulations says it is not cheating - excerpt from there:

5b3c) If the puzzle is unsolvable, and can be made solvable by rotating a single corner piece, the competitor may correct the corner piece by twisting it in place without disassembling the puzzle.

Kumato

If I am a judge, should I say the 8/12 seconds alert? Or is it considered rude because the competitor is trying to concentrate?

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I am a judge, should I say the 8/12 seconds alert? Or is it considered rude because the competitor is trying to concentrate?
What the others have said is right, but keep in mind you call have to the times out until the solver has started, after that, you don't call them anymore. And if they have their hands on the stackmat, you still call it

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01

The strict by-the-book answer has been given previously. For more insight into why, think of it this way: I can totally understand that you might be worried about breaking the competitor's concentration. But the competitor is not able to track how much time has passed. It would be much worse, from their end, to just suddenly be told their result must be DNF because they overinspected accidentally. That's the reason behind why you give them those time announcements.