• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, so I have a competition in a week. I've done an AO100 on 2x2 to simulate the competition, but does anyone have any tips to help prep more?

If you've been doing the solves on a computer,starting the timer with one hand and holding the cube the cube with the other, then practice without holding the cube. If you have a stackmat, definitely practice a bunch on that.

Some people like to do practice solves with crowd noises playing in the background to simulate competition ambiance.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Are you allowed to use a 4x4 as a 3x3 and 2x2 main? (Assuming you don't have a 3x3 and 2x2.)
Already answered, but here is the relevant regulation:
  • 3a3) Polyhedral puzzles must use a color scheme with one unique color per face in the solved state. Each puzzle variation must have moves, states, and solutions functionally identical to the original puzzle.
A 4x4 has different moves, solutions and states to a 2x2 and 3x3.

Reactions: TDM

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Already answered, but here is the relevant regulation:
  • 3a3) Polyhedral puzzles must use a color scheme with one unique color per face in the solved state. Each puzzle variation must have moves, states, and solutions functionally identical to the original puzzle.
A 4x4 has different moves, solutions and states to a 2x2 and 3x3.

Could you sticker mod + bandage the 4x4 into a 2x2 or 3x3 in between rounds and use it for each event?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I ran into this when trying to duplicate the behavior of the WCA website for our Speedsolving.com competition website:

Does anyone else agree with me that it seems odd that we consider an average to be tied if it is the same after rounding? I think it's strange that, for instance, a 12.333 average and a 12.327 average are considered identical (both round to 12.33), and therefore the tie is broken based on the lowest single, but in the case of comparing a 12.327 average (rounds to 12.33) and a 12.323 average (rounds to 12.32), the 12.323 average would be considered better without considering the single. I suppose all of this is somewhat arbitrary, but to me this seems particularly so. Anyone else agree?

Please let me know if I'm wrong about this. I ran through the calculations for several cases both in the event ranking pages and in the individual competition ranking pages, and it really seemed to me like this is how it is handled in both cases. I just found it surprising.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I ran into this when trying to duplicate the behavior of the WCA website for our Speedsolving.com competition website:

Does anyone else agree with me that it seems odd that we consider an average to be tied if it is the same after rounding? I think it's strange that, for instance, a 12.333 average and a 12.327 average are considered identical (both round to 12.33), and therefore the tie is broken based on the lowest single, but in the case of comparing a 12.327 average (rounds to 12.33) and a 12.323 average (rounds to 12.32), the 12.323 average would be considered better without considering the single. I suppose all of this is somewhat arbitrary, but to me this seems particularly so. Anyone else agree?

Please let me know if I'm wrong about this. I ran through the calculations for several cases both in the event ranking pages and in the individual competition ranking pages, and it really seemed to me like this is how it is handled in both cases. I just found it surprising.
I agree, it would be better to not have them tied. It might cause a bit of confusion for some people when they wonder why they've been ranked below someone else despite having a better single, but it's relatively simple to explain. Also imo, it's better than the alternatives of (a) untied averages actually counting as tied (like the WCA does it), or (b) displaying averages to a higher level of precision than singles (which would look odd).
Sure, you're storing the data and displaying it at different levels of precision, but imo your suggestion does make a bit more sense.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree, it would be better to not have them tied. It might cause a bit of confusion for some people when they wonder why they've been ranked below someone else despite having a better single, but it's relatively simple to explain. Also imo, it's better than the alternatives of (a) untied averages actually counting as tied (like the WCA does it), or (b) displaying averages to a higher level of precision than singles (which would look odd).
Sure, you're storing the data and displaying it at different levels of precision, but imo your suggestion does make a bit more sense.
Maybe if the average only looks tied after rounding, it could display next to it the sum of the counting solves? Same level of precision, clarifies which average is faster, and should be clear without additional explanations.

dnguyen2204

Wait, I thought averages were truncated?

Megaminxer

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello!
I haven't ever had the opportunity to compete, although I did go to a competition just for fun. Even months in advance, whenever I try to register for a competition, it's always full! :(

How do I get in?
Thanks!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hello!
I haven't ever had the opportunity to compete, although I did go to a competition just for fun. Even months in advance, whenever I try to register for a competition, it's always full! :(

How do I get in?
Thanks!
The WCA has all upcoming competitions listed on there website under competitions https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions
For finding competitions easier just search through different regions. Almost all competitions are listed at least 2-3 month before the competition date, and the registration will open usually a few days/weeks after the competition is announced on the WCA website.