• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Nice! That actually gives me a lot to look over. I'm very impressed with the line of cubes that are coming out. My latest cube I purchased was about a year or two ago and it was the FangShi Shuang Ren II. I'm interested in purchasing some more to add to my collection.
That's funny, my newest cube for a while was also the Shuang Ren XP
I had a bit of a hiatus and got back into cubing shortly before the Gans Air came out, at which point I bought a Weilong GTS. They've changed so much recently~

Anyway, you might also want to check out Cubicle Premium cubes. Basically they sticker and set up the puzzle for you (either per your instructions or according to what they consider optimal), and sometimes modify them (their Squan is pretty heavily altered). All the cubes they've given the 'premium treatment' have been widely appreciated ones like the GTS, Air, and Valk 3, so they're all relevant.

efattah

It is astonishing how much progress has been made in cube technology in the last year. It was only around 8 (?) months ago that the Guoguan Yuexiao was released, which was widely accepted as a major breakthrough and the best cube ever. Now, 8 months later, that revolutionary cube (Yuexiao) is obsolete and totally superseded by the Weilong GTS, Valk 3 and Gans Air. The previously ubiquitous Aolong V2 feels like an ancient relic. You'll see some diehards using Thunderclap, Yuexiao and Aolong V2, but it is pretty clear that they are behind the times.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
The three biggest cubes right now are the Weilong GTS, Gans Air, and the Valk 3. They're at the top of the market in terms of performance and they're probably also popular in part because they're used by Lucas, Feliks, and Mats respectively.

One thing that's really gaining popularity right now is magnetic cubes, which (for 3x3) are really only available from TheCubicle.us right now. They're not exactly spreading like wildfire at the moment due to their high price, but I suspect a lot of people now will be getting Valk Ms because of Mats Valk's recent WR.
I totally missed those magnetic cubes. Can someone give me an overwiev?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
It is astonishing how much progress has been made in cube technology in the last year. It was only around 8 (?) months ago that the Guoguan Yuexiao was released, which was widely accepted as a major breakthrough and the best cube ever. Now, 8 months later, that revolutionary cube (Yuexiao) is obsolete and totally superseded by the Weilong GTS, Valk 3 and Gans Air. The previously ubiquitous Aolong V2 feels like an ancient relic. You'll see some diehards using Thunderclap, Yuexiao and Aolong V2, but it is pretty clear that they are behind the times.
I wouldn't say older cubes are obsolete. Often the feeling of newer cubes that are really good gets overstated by the community and everyone jumps on the hype train. I think every new cube since the Aolong has been at best a marginal improvement over previous cubes.

The Yuexiao is a perfect example. It was revolutionary in that it had so many new design features, and felt really smooth and fast out of the box. In terms of actual performance it was never that great, but because it felt like it had potential, it got a lot of hype. Lots of people bought it because of the great initial reviews, but it really wasn't that great of a cube even at the time when it was released.

I also don't think the Weilong GTS is as amazing as people say it is, and while it's far better than my Yuexiao it just doesn't compete with my Thunderclap, and in fact I think it's not even as good as my Tanglong was before it started slowing down. I have a 4 year old GuHong that actually had a similar feeling to the GTS, only difference being that the GTS doesn't pop every second solve.

The Valk on the other hand is absolutely amazing and it's now my main. But I wouldn't say it's faster than the Thunderclap, it just feels much better in a purely subjective sense.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
The best speedcubers could make a world record with any of this cubes from zanchi to valk3. They are using the new ones because they get sponsored, they would be stupid if they wouldn't. There is not much difference in cubes of last two years. Agree about yuexiao it is great cube ,but so are all above and moyu along v2 is as good as the others. It is just the matter of perspective. New iPhone is as good as 3GS. We are just being influenced by consumer madness. I like to buy new toys and so are most of other people.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I wouldn't call any cube from later than the guhong "completely" obsolete especially when there are still a fair few cubers that set world class times on them or still win various competitions with them.

efattah

There is little point to argue; if you have doubts as to the differences of recent cubes, the easiest thing to do is first train with each for a few days to get used to it. Then, run your own test. Do 20 solves with cube A, followed immediately by 20 solves of cube B, followed immediately by 20 solves of cube A, followed by 20 solves of cube B, and continue this as long as possible. At the end, look at the average of the 100 cube A solves and the 100 cube B solves. If the cubes really don't make any difference you will find almost no difference in those averages. If I run this test I see a significant difference between Aolong v2, thunderclap, Yuexiao, standard Weilong GTS, Valk 3, GTS-M. While the Valk-3 and GTS-M give me very close results (too close to call), I save a few percent in solve time vs. ordinary Weilong GTS, which itself saves a few percent over a Yuexiao, which saves a few percent over the thunderclap, which saves a few percent over Aolong V2. For me the difference between thunderclap and GTS-M/Valk 3 is about 2 seconds on a 17 second average (11.8%).

Of course for different solving methods and different turning styles, the results may be different. But for most people there will indeed be significant differences, debunking the delusion that cubes make no difference.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I totally missed those magnetic cubes. Can someone give me an overview?
I think most of the hoopla with them started with Moyu's magnetic Pyraminx, which used magnets in place of the ball bearings. People got very excited about it, and they showed off a magnetic Skewb (which is also now out) and clock (Something QiYi also showed off almost the same day, though purely coincidence). DIY magnetic 3x3s started becoming more popular, and then TheCubicle launched "Cubicle Labs," letting people buy a magnetic 3x3 rather than make them.
Just a quick overview~

The best speedcubers could make a world record with any of these cubes from the Zhanchi to Valk 3. They are using the new ones because they get sponsored, they would be stupid if they didn't. There is not much difference in cubes of last two years. Agree about Yuexiao, it is great cube, but so are all above and Moyu Along V2 as good as the others. It is just a matter of perspective.
They don't necessarily use the newer ones 'cause they're sponsored, nor do they use the newer cubes because they'll shave some significant amount of time off their average. Everyone, with few exception, just uses a cube they like.

And there actually are some very big, though very specific improvements to newer cubes, most notably with corner twisting and popping.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
There is little point to argue; if you have doubts as to the differences of recent cubes, the easiest thing to do is first train with each for a few days to get used to it. Then, run your own test. Do 20 solves with cube A, followed immediately by 20 solves of cube B, followed immediately by 20 solves of cube A, followed by 20 solves of cube B, and continue this as long as possible. At the end, look at the average of the 100 cube A solves and the 100 cube B solves. If the cubes really don't make any difference you will find almost no difference in those averages. If I run this test I see a significant difference between Aolong v2, thunderclap, Yuexiao, standard Weilong GTS, Valk 3, GTS-M. While the Valk-3 and GTS-M give me very close results (too close to call), I save a few percent in solve time vs. ordinary Weilong GTS, which itself saves a few percent over a Yuexiao, which saves a few percent over the thunderclap, which saves a few percent over Aolong V2. For me the difference between thunderclap and GTS-M/Valk 3 is about 2 seconds on a 17 second average (11.8%).

Of course for different solving methods and different turning styles, the results may be different. But for most people there will indeed be significant differences, debunking the delusion that cubes make no difference.
I have done this sort of thing on many occasions and generally see no statistically significant difference in times between most of my cubes (the differences between cubes are typically less than the standard deviations I typically see in similar sized sessions on a single cube). The results also aren't very reliable. One cube may be a second or two slower than the rest on one day, then a second faster than the rest a couple of weeks later.

I think a better way to test is to prepare a scramble by solving it over a over on all of the cubes. Once you're confident that you can perform the same solution consistently, scramble all of the cubes with that same scramble and time how long it takes to solve each of them. Repeat with new scrambles to get an average of 20 or more for each cube and then compare the times. I've done this a couple times recently to choose a new main.

D

Daniel Lin

how can i fix "center twists" on my aosu?

it's a really annoying problem.

Silverback

How do I disassemble a Guo Guan Yue Xiao? I want to clean it, but I don't want to mess up the tensions. So I don't want to loosen the screws.

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do I disassemble a Guo Guan Yue Xiao? I want to clean it, but I don't want to mess up the tensions. So I don't want to loosen the screws.
This one's easy. You can turn the upper layer 45 degrees then take the edge piece and twist and pull at the same time. Watch a cube video and they often take the cube apart. It's the same for all speed cubes.

But... The Yuexiao is the easiest cube to tension when the cube is completely assembled! Just take the center caps off and look at the screw heads. Notice that the rim of the screw head comes exactly to the same height as the rim of the plastic piece that the screw goes down into. (hard to explain. Just look and you'll see. )

Let me know how it goes.