• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Puzzle Theory Question Thread

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
God's number for solving 1 side on the 3x3 Cube?

I have a feature request for my mosaicbuilding tool to output "scrambles" to apply to solved cubes and make mosaics even faster. I'm thinking of implementing a breadth first search to find shortest solutions for each cube. I've done this already in C++ but here we're talking about JS and a few hundreds of cubes so I'm trying to come up with the best approach atm in case I have free time for this stuff which I always happen to find because I love doing stupid things that literally only a few people on the planet may find useful

Sub1Hour

God's number for solving 1 side on the 3x3 Cube?

I have a feature request for my mosaicbuilding tool to output "scrambles" to apply to solved cubes and make mosaics even faster. I'm thinking of implementing a breadth first search to find shortest solutions for each cube. I've done this already in C++ but here we're talking about JS and a few hundreds of cubes so I'm trying to come up with the best approach atm in case I have free time for this stuff which I always happen to find because I love doing stupid things that literally only a few people on the planet may find useful
@pjk can we get a big brain react for stuff like this?

I want to nerd out on 3x3 and general puzzle theory and mechanics. What are some foundational elements, references, topics, and tutorials you can recommend? I've been on a non-WCA puzzle kick lately and have found myself reverting back to my old school big cube last 2 center commutators or making parallels to the 3x3 algs i know but don't intuitively understand to find solutions to these puzzles. While just struggling through these puzzles has been fun i know i would benefit from having more tools in the tool belt!

I want to gain the fundamental knowledge of how and why the puzzles behave the way the do. Where should i start?

Last edited: