• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 3x3 Roux Question Thread

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it involves OLLCP and other stuff...
He probably means 2 alg sets: CMLLS, and OLLCP. they are 2 separate sets, and me personally do not use the CMLL's, but I know some OLLCP's just by playing with algs I already know, mostly by trying to make then COLL's. easiest way to try to force certain edge cases is trying to make strategic moves wide moves.
Here's an easy example:
let's take the standard CMLL for T, bar on left: (R U R' U')(R' F R F')
That alg, when done, flips UF and UB.
but if you make the first move of both triggers wide, then it becomes a common COLL: (r U R' U')(r' F R F')
You can also use things like if you don't want to disturb edges, then in an alg instead of doing Sledge you can do L' (inverse sexy) L. I use those for all the Sune cases that are basically the same thing but like solves 6 cases.

dboeren

I had the idea to take a spare cube and turn it into a "block trainer" cube with only the two opposing blocks stickered and the rest of the cube blank. Is this a useful training tool or would it cause bad recognition habits?

Geneva

WCA
2016DANI14
I have a hard time with 4c cases and I dont know why. I've been watching youtube videos on it, but still I always mess up the 3-cycle case. And yes I already watched Kian's video on this.

Robert Marik

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not speedsolver and I am not sub-xx, but if it helps, I can share my strategy

1. Use alg to solve dots if this case appears (easy to spot)
2. In the other cases use M and U2 moves and check that you never break the pair or a line usin U2 move.

nrstauie

Thanks for the links, they are nice apps.
What would you recommend to become "fluent" in block building:
- solving on block trainer (going from 3/4, then level up when doing perfect)
- learning from others? (watching examples on youtube, on this site, etc.)
- doing random scramble and trying to figure what's the better solve

Also, do you have examples when fewest move isn't necessarily the fastest way to solve (not speaking with looking ahead for the next step)?

And a huge thanks to all of you with the links and help. You are a great community!

Sue Doenim

I'd like to explore Roux OH more extensively. I learned to table abuse with FR on the table, and this kind of hinders the view. Should I switch to DR? And any other particular tips? Thanks!

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to explore Roux OH more extensively. I learned to table abuse with FR on the table, and this kind of hinders the view. Should I switch to DR? And any other particular tips? Thanks!
Yep, most people use DR nowadays. It keeps lookahead and fingertricks easier and closer to 2H.

Other tips:
  • Doubleflick your M2s. During LSE, hold the cube with your thumb and middle, so both your pinky and ring fingers are available to do M moves.
  • Do Eido U2s during CMLL. Eventually you'll want to use them during LSE too, but it's a bit more awkward to do them in LSE to begin with. CMLL is a good way to practise them because the algs are the same every time.
  • Keep the cube close-ish to the table during SB, so you can use the M slice whenever you need to.
  • Learn different CMLL algorithms for OH. You don't need to do this straight away; you can gradually replace the ones you don't like, one at a time.
  • Do lots of solves. The turning is different to most other methods, so getting yourself familiar with everything will help a lot.

The first two and the last of these points are the most important; the earlier you start using good fingertricks, the easier it'll be for you.

Hazel

Premium Member
Corners of the Last Layer without regards to the M slice, the third step of the Roux method.
It's just solving the Last Layer corners without worrying about preserving any of the last layer edges or any of the pieces in the M layer.

Mr.Roux86

YouTube
Visit Channel
Corners of the Last Layer without regards to the M slice, the third step of the Roux method.
It's just solving the Last Layer corners without worrying about preserving any of the last layer edges or any of the pieces in the M layer.
But wouldn't that make it CLLM? Maybe Corners (without use of Middle layer) of Last Layer