• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 3x3 Roux Question Thread

Sion

In PCMS ( I come to the roux one anseer because the methods are very similar), for the first step (f2b minus DR and DL edges) how do you work on decreasing move count?

Teoidus

Try to pair up two pairs at the same time, or build pseudopairs and then ADF later in the solve

Use PORT or PEG

Teoidus

That sounds pretty inefficient.

If you build it kinda like roux:

FB - DL should take like 5-6 moves max

SB - DR if you just build it like F2L pairs with M and S moves it should take like 10 moves

-> 16 max moves for pairs

-> 25 STM columns

Sion

Wow... sounds like a great plan. IF I have a good system for after the colums, I can possibly rank some stms around the 45-55 range, meaning some rather serious solve times, since the second half of the solve has many skips between l5eop and epll.

Last edited:

Teoidus

It you're committed columns, go for:

2pairs (6)

2pairs (10)

CMLL (9)

2 opposite edges (6)

LSE (15)

46 STM

Sion

I use the l5eop-epll combo. It seems long, but 1/3 solvs usually has a skip on either of those stps from how I attack it.

LegionGhost

In the CFOP they say the 'white cross' can always be done in 8 moves or less, is there the same thing for Roux for each block?

Zachary Palan

wow, just intuitively learned roux style f2l, and I like it, you can solve half cross and f2l and finish cross, then easily move straight to oll :D

Sion

Can I do 2 Look OLL instead of memorizing new algs for 2 Look CMLL?

Not sure why. they are very similar. 2 look cmll is the same as doing oll/pll minus edges, so I'm confused at what you exactly mean

Geneva

WCA
2016DANI14
Not sure why. they are very similar. 2 look cmll is the same as doing oll/pll minus edges, so I'm confused at what you exactly mean
I was thinking that since I'm using CFOP algs for CMLL, when I start learning full CMLL, it'll not be as beneficial since it is Roux. (I feel like I'm doing a CFOP variation on Roux)

Sion

I was thinking that since I'm using CFOP algs for CMLL, when I start learning full CMLL, it'll not be as beneficial since it is Roux. (I feel like I'm doing a CFOP variation on Roux)

Yeah. I suggest this tutorial if you're beginning roux, for cmll:

AreRouxAmused

Who thinks it would be a good idea or a possible idea to while maybe putting in a last pair when convenient to orient and permute the corners or is it impractical and outlandish?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Who thinks it would be a good idea or a possible idea to while maybe putting in a last pair when convenient to orient and permute the corners or is it impractical and outlandish?
Not outlandish but impractical and slower than inserting the pair normally and just doing normal CMLL which is sort of counter to the whole foundation of Roux (ie minimising all pauses by making as much as possible intuitive and without algs)

AreRouxAmused

Not outlandish but impractical and slower than inserting the pair normally and just doing normal CMLL which is sort of counter to the whole foundation of Roux (ie minimising all pauses by making as much as possible intuitive and without algs)
Thank you I now realize that roux is at such point of intuitiveness where subsets with algs do not make much sense