• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
I watched your video.
Here are my recommendations for improving your times in just one day. I learned all of these in one hour and never forgot them. You can too.
Learn these 8 ZBF2L cases for inserting your final pair ( +8 for mirror cases ), and 7 OLLs where all of your top stickers are correctly oriented.

ZBF2L.jpg

You can just use combinations of Left Sune and Right Sune to solve all 7 cases, just let me know if you want advice on that.
Those can be learned in just one day, rather than learning full OLL which could take a week or more.
This would be the short-term solution to becoming faster in a shorter time, but you'll want to learn full OLL eventually to achieve the best results.
You could use 4LLL, but ZBF2L is a fun alternative that can yield better results due to it averaging less move count with similar recognition.

My next recommendation is to not watch yourself performing moves.
For example, if you're inserting a pair with R U' R', you should start looking for other pieces while you let your hands do the moves.
Think of it as a YouTube loading bar. Your eyes are the gray bar, and your hands are the red bar. If your hands catch up to your eyes, that's a pause.

Lastly, use a metronome app to practice look-ahead. Katsuyuki Konishi (Planet-Puzzle) introduced this idea in 2005 and it helped me to work on my look-ahead. Also, I'm sure you'll be tired of hearing this but plan your entire cross in inspection, and don't watch yourself do it, just do it while looking for your first pair. Take as much inspection time as you need, and use Cross solver tools to learn a few tricks here and there.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok I will try the method but can you please send me a link of a site that has a cross solver and a translated Version of puzzle planet

yes i agree, u shud learn 4 look ll, i know 4 look last layer and half of the pll's and i average 26, probable 30 or so if i used full 4 look ll

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
Ok I will try the method but can you please send me a link of a site that has a cross solver and a translated Version of puzzle planet

I use Block Keeper. It has a cross solver on the bottom right. When I first switched to CFOP, I would sometimes look up solutions to really difficult crosses and it helped me learn to be more efficient.

Don't worry about Puzzle Planet, I was just posting that to show you the source of the metronome video from 2005.
solving with a metronome on 60 tempo is a good way to practice.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you. I will use this.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Hmm but I have a problem. I don't really get this case in my solves. I'm not sure how to use it.

wait i dont understand when i do the alg in the case it doesntly really work, it just inserts the white corner and saves the edge, but the other edge and another white corner at the back gets broken and i have to reinsert it again. I had the 5th case hmm
Edit: nvm im not gonna use ZBF2L Im having a hard time learning since i really learn by videos and not in a picture, and there are rarely any vids of this case. Overall I dont think it fits me. I'll just use 4LLL

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
wait i dont understand when i do the alg in the case it doesntly really work, it just inserts the white corner and saves the edge, but the other edge and another white corner at the back gets broken and i have to reinsert it again. I had the 5th case hmm
Edit: nvm im not gonna use ZBF2L Im having a hard time learning since i really learn by videos and not in a picture, and there are rarely any vids of this case. Overall I dont think it fits me. I'll just use 4LLL

Use what works best for you, but I recommend always being in a state of learning. You may have executed the alg incorrectly or had a mirror case and not recognized it. I only posted the R cases, not the L ones.
How many OLLs do you currently know? I could advise you on some tricks for learning faster, but the trade-off is that your OLL would be a tiny bit slower once you hit your peak speed. What I mean there is that there are OLLs that are easier to remember, but slower to execute. Still way faster than 4LLL.

If you are still at all interested in ZBF2L, I can record some slow solves, or regular speed solves to show you that it is effective.
Don't forget that you can learn full ZBF2L insertion of a completed pair in 1-2 hours and not learn 50 OLLs, or at least save them for later.
Compare 16 short cases with nearly instant recognition to 57 cases with a few of the cases requiring most people to verify 2 or 3 sides before executing.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
its fine. Besides its a gateway to CFOP and full OLL and stuff like that, which is better than ZBF2L.
So its ok anyway.
I would be able to recognize some cases intuitively or see some cases in CFOP similar from 4LLL, so thats a good thing.

Im not even in my peak speed yet tho cause the funny thing is that the cube cant handle my speed and i have to go slower, im getting a better one on monday.
Edit: Hmm ok you could show a recording video, just for me to see how useful it is.

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
The bob burton website has bad algs and they're sorta outdated, and they're not gonna help you a lot, use the ones on JPerm.net and ditch these ones, do it now or it will be SUPER HARD to do it later.
And, tbh, I actually don't see you being motivated, I learned 4LLL in 25 mins, and taught my friend in 30 mins
Also, for swapping two corners, R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' is better and Y perm for diag swap

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
The bob burton website has bad algs and they're sorta outdated, and they're not gonna help you a lot, use the ones on JPerm.net and ditch these ones, do it now or it will be SUPER HARD to do it later.
And, tbh, I actually don't see you being motivated, I learned 4LLL in 25 mins, and taught my friend in 30 mins
Also, for swapping two corners, R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' is better and Y perm for diag swap
Thanks for being helpful. I will

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
Sorry about the wait, and sorry about my camera quality/angle.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
i have seen it, and its pretty useful, i think its worth a shot.

So... This is what should one of the cases look like?
WIN_20200906_09_25_27_Pro.jpg

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
What Spacey said, ZBF2L is only for the final pair insertion.
Have you had any luck learning some cases?
Sorry, i have a hard time learning cubing terms, so im supposed to finish f2l first then do that pair as the one i made?

What Spacey said, ZBF2L is only for the final pair insertion.
Have you had any luck learning some cases?
WIN_20200906_15_52_16_Pro.jpg
I learn the cases quicky when i understand them, so far i think this is one of the cases where i do the algs

ok. Thank you for telling me, Spacey
Edit: Nice, reply number at 69 pls dont mess it up
Oh come on. That number is really dumb and inappropriate. Do you even know what it means? (if you do, say "yes", don't reply what it means.)

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh come on. That number is really dumb and inappropriate. Do you even know what it means? (if you do, say "yes", don't reply what it means.)
k sorry about that
Edit: Deleted it, there.

btw kyle, one of the cases i had them and it worked with one of the algs, its sets up the cross and fixes the f2l as well! All i have to do is fix the edges and corners.

I watched your video.
Here are my recommendations for improving your times in just one day. I learned all of these in one hour and never forgot them. You can too.
Learn these 8 ZBF2L cases for inserting your final pair ( +8 for mirror cases ), and 7 OLLs where all of your top stickers are correctly oriented.

View attachment 13338

You can just use combinations of Left Sune and Right Sune to solve all 7 cases, just let me know if you want advice on that.
Those can be learned in just one day, rather than learning full OLL which could take a week or more.
This would be the short-term solution to becoming faster in a shorter time, but you'll want to learn full OLL eventually to achieve the best results.
You could use 4LLL, but ZBF2L is a fun alternative that can yield better results due to it averaging less move count with similar recognition.

My next recommendation is to not watch yourself performing moves.
For example, if you're inserting a pair with R U' R', you should start looking for other pieces while you let your hands do the moves.
Think of it as a YouTube loading bar. Your eyes are the gray bar, and your hands are the red bar. If your hands catch up to your eyes, that's a pause.

Lastly, use a metronome app to practice look-ahead. Katsuyuki Konishi (Planet-Puzzle) introduced this idea in 2005 and it helped me to work on my look-ahead. Also, I'm sure you'll be tired of hearing this but plan your entire cross in inspection, and don't watch yourself do it, just do it while looking for your first pair. Take as much inspection time as you need, and use Cross solver tools to learn a few tricks here and there.
Btw the cases for top stickers to be oriented using the combinations on Sune, can you give me any advice and more things about that, just curious.

Last edited: