• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will I get to Sub 8 with Petrus?

• Yes

Votes: 149 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.9%

• Total voters

Etotheipi

I broke my average PB a couple days back, with a sub 20 times :). Nice lookahead and TPS combo, which lead to extremely good solves. I think there was a 16, counting 18, and the rest were 20s and 21s. Next two weeks will just be practising mindlessly because I’ve got a competition coming up and would like to be sub 20 solidly by then (which I’m sure is possible since I just got a sub 20 average). Plus, learning new things is not good for short term improvement.
Happy cubing! :)
Mindless practicing might not be the best, you should still analyze your solves and focus on weak points.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Mindless practicing might not be the best, you should still analyze your solves and focus on weak points.
Yeah I will do so to some extent, but not like practise new techniques, like e.g. trying to inspect part of 2x2x3, looking for better pairing methods in F2L, etc, unless it’s an obvious problem.
Dude you are improving so fast! I should start practicing 3x3 more because I don't want you beating me to a sub 20 average of 100 :) 20.91 avg of 100 with a 10.31 fullstep pb.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Found a cool Petrus solve:

Scramble: U2 L2 B2 D2 F R2 D2 B' U2 F2 L' D B' U2 R U R U' R

z2 // Inspection

F L2 F' L2 U L // 2x2x2

U2 R' U' (R U R' U')3 // 2x2x3

y2 U' F' R' F' R // EO

y' U2 R2 U2 R U2 R' U R' U R U2 R U R' // F2L

U' R U R' U R U2 R' // OLL/COLL

M2 U' M U2 M' U' M2 // PLL/EPLL

U' // AUF

F2L probably could've been more efficient, but it looks pretty cool lol

Also you can get 20 move XXCross for CFOP lol

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Found a cool Petrus solve:

Scramble: U2 L2 B2 D2 F R2 D2 B' U2 F2 L' D B' U2 R U R U' R

z2 // Inspection

F L2 F' L2 U L // 2x2x2

U2 R' U' (R U R' U')3 // 2x2x3

y2 U' F' R' F' R // EO

y' U2 R2 U2 R U2 R' U R' U R U2 R U R' // F2L

U' R U R' U R U2 R' // OLL/COLL

M2 U' M U2 M' U' M2 // PLL/EPLL

U' // AUF

F2L probably could've been more efficient, but it looks pretty cool lol

Also you can get 20 move XXCross for CFOP lol
Nice! Yeah, the CFOP like 2x2x3 kind of destroyed the efficiency, but oh well. Fast enough to execute.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm really impressed by your dedication to this, I feel like most people (including myself tbh) would kind of abandon this sort of project after just a week or two. Great job, and keep it up!
Long bump, just thought of a good reply, and couldn’t resist lol...
Well, I’m improving nice and steadily with Petrus, no roadblocks or anything so far, and I don’t see reason to switch method at the moment (Petrus is fun, has a lot of freedom, is unexplored, etc). Plus I am not anywhere near sub 8 yet, so I’m sure I can keep improving for quite a while. I also really want to get sub 15, and it looks like Petrus is going to take me there :). So to quit this would be to basicalily quit cubing, unless I switched method.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Well, I’m improving nice and steadily with Petrus, no roadblocks or anything so far, and I don’t see reason to switch method at the moment (Petrus is fun, has a lot of freedom, is unexplored, etc). Plus I am not anywhere near sub 8 yet, so I’m sure I can keep improving for quite a while. I also really want to get sub 15, and it looks like Petrus is going to take me there :). So to quit this would be to basicalily quit cubing, unless I switched method.

PetrusQueber has been sitting in his room in the dark, just thinking about what he should say to the brilliant and complimentary comment that Aerma posted for all this time lol

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can definitely get sub 10 Petrus and probably lower. Of course you're gonna get there! If you aren't concentrating on anything specific, I would recommend learning more algs (2GLL) or working on inspection. The earlier you work on both of them, the better it will be for you in the long run. Keep it up!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
My next focus will probably be trying to see the entire 2x2x2 in inspection and maybe a 2x2x3 piece :). I‘ll start learning ZBLL soon as well. What is 2GLL?
’PetrusQuber has been sitting in his room in the dark, just thinking about what he should say to the brilliant and complimentary comment that Aerma posted for all this time lol’
LOL. Nah, I’m just looking through the thread, and thinking, hmm, maybe I should get round to replying to some people... ;)

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
2GLL (2-gen LL) is every LL case that can be solved using <RU> only. EO and CP have to be solved. On the sheet here, it's every COLL set that has 2GLL next to it (rather conveniently). There are 12 algs per orientation (bar H, where there are 8) but, as with COLL, it's not worthwhile to learn the sunes and anti sunes. And definitely make sure you can see the 2x2x2 in inspection. That alone will drop maybe half a second off your times.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay. I'm Sub-15ish with Petrus (and a little Lazy CFOP-ish). At least with Petrus, I'm able to solve faster because I turn fast and solve it in quite fewer moves than CFOP. (Roux is just very confusing.) And the fact that I don't need lookahead is just way easier for me. (If you know me, I can't lookahead because it's just hard for me to do and takes a lot of thinking and focus, plus I'm impatient so I won't be training myself how to lookahead.)

Getting sub-10 on petrus is quite hard because that's where prediction and plain luck comes into play.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say that even if ZBLL is definitely non-essential to sub 15, it would be good to have at least a few sets down asap. It will spread the load out more.
Definitely, even it’s just a few algs. For example, T-32 is the first ZBLL I learned and it’s super easy to recognize and execute

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Dude you are improving so fast! I should start practicing 3x3 more because I don't want you beating me to a sub 20 average of 100 :) 20.91 avg of 100 with a 10.31 fullstep pb.
Ahaha @Deadloxz, I just got an 18 seconds ao5 :). Looks like that sub 20 ao100’s coming soon ;)

PS I practise quite a lot, at least one hour at my desk a day, doing a mix of slow solving and stackmat solves.

Last edited: