• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Help needed for a Beginner's Customised LBL Method (DBM).

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Hi, I have made my own customised method, an improvement on the basic Beginner LBL method which should be more enjoyable to use, and I would be very grateful to have your help to check it out. Please let me know how I can attach a document. What file format is accepted here (Word doc, pdf and even plain text did not seem to work.)

Update. The method is now pasted in. See below. It has been updated a few times due to typing errors.

Update 2. A very rough demo video is now available.

Update 3. I have added more explanation and corrected a couple of typos, to make the method clearer for beginners. The steps are unchanged.

***I have just discovered that the same OLL and PLL steps described here can be used also for Roux (replacing CMLL and LSE), to make it very easier for beginners who have learned the basics of LBL to have a bit of fun with Roux with very little relearning effort, as they continue to learn (and struggle with the harder latter part of Roux, like me). After building Block 1 and 2 in Roux, the only steps necessary is to get the bottom layer all White (or all with the same colour) and also to get the right colour centre pieces on the front and back. These two steps do what's necessary to finish solving the first 2 layers solved. I worked out both those steps and they are very easy and intuitive, requiring no algorithms. In fact, there are no algorithms to learn from start to 2 layers solved with this altered Roux method, and, no complicated examinations for corner twisting and edge orientation examinations. Speed however is like this DBM method, not good, but the emphasis is on ease of learning, remembering (intuitive steps) and enjoyable solving. I will be starting a new thread soon about thTis way of solving (half Roux and half 3+1 LL). :)

I have posted the simpler Beginner Roux method here -- https://www.speedsolving.com/thread...sed-and-easy-roux-like-beginner-method.84916/

"Flip Flop and Feed the Fish" :D

This may help you remember the special OLL steps. Flip Flop is what I call the corner swapping algorithm. Feed the fish refers to what is done after the corner swapping,or the use of Sune in all the cases after the Flip Flop.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I have made my own customised method, an improvement on the basic Beginner LBL method which should be more enjoyable to use, and I would be very grateful to have your help to check it out. Please let me know how I can attach a document. What file format is accepted here (Word doc, pdf and even plain text did not seem to work.)
You should just be able to copy paste it.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
OK, here it is. I would really like to have your critique and find out whether it is possible to solve in under 1 minute using this method. Sorry if the piece below is too wordy. It's written for beginners, and by a very new beginner. Also sorry, as all the formatting has been lost after cutting and pasting. I have tried to put some bolded text back below.

Your comments, suggestions and criticisms will be greatly appreciated. Please understand that this is still a basic method. It started life as just notes for myself, until they get too unwieldy and someone else also wanted to learn. The exercise has been very helpful for my own learning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan's Beginner Method (DBM) :D:D:D
Last updated - July 4, 2021

INTRODUCTION
I first solved the Rubik's cube 2 months ago, using the most basic Beginner Layer-By-Layer (LBL) method. After grasping the basics, I have now started learning the 4LLL, the logical next step, but it seems a fairly high hurdle requiring a lot of time and practise. So I hesitated, as I want to be sure I am on the right path. I am at the crossroads, since I am also looking into the Roux method, an alternative to the CFOP method that the LBL and 4LLL are based on, before investing in what would be an enormous amount of time and more importantly developing habits that may take time to correct later if things do not work well with the chosen method.

As I continue exploring the methods, I decided to standardise and enhance the Beginner method I have been using, as it has become tedious, especially the part that requires twisting the corners repeatedly using an algorithm so over-used that it is not so sexy now. I thought there should be a more gradual path forward and it would be nice to have a slightly more advanced but also more enjoyable beginner method before 4LLL. And this is the result. I built my own customised Beginner method! - Dan

IMPORTANT
This description assumes you have basic cube knowledge and already know the basic Beginner Layer-By-Layer (LBL) method. It is written for beginners by a beginner. So, please excuse me if the explanations too detailed or superfluous. The customised, changed or non-standard parts are highlighted below in purple and underlined. Experienced cubers can just watch these parts. Tips that are not essential for solving but can be very helpful to speed up the solve are highlighted in blue. Unless otherwise stated, the standard LBL steps are used and there should be plenty of excellent material online if needed.

3+1 LLL?
The main difference between this method, which will be referred to as just DBM from now on, from other LBL beginner methods is that it orientates the corner pieces of the last layer earlier, during the OLL stage (and not PLL), to cut down the number of later cases and algorithms. So it is a like 3+1LLL (3+1 Look Last Layer) method. DBM is easier because it is more intuitive. It also avoids the harder to remember algorithms and it always finishes the solve using an algorithm with the M-Move (the fun bit).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for Dan's Beginner Method (DGM)

FIRST LAYER

Step 1 - Making a White Cross

I skip the yellow-centre daisy but still make my white cross holding it up. There's less chance of bad errors for beginners this way. Another reason for this decision is to allow use of an algorithm called Sune (R U R' U R U2 R') as a tool for fixing problems or mistakes made in matching up colours of the cross with the sides.

I also use Sune during times when I feel lazy or when I am not sure how to get the cross made efficiently and to avoid losing time when stuck, I would make the cross the simplest or most obvious way, i.e. without matching the colours on the sides. Sune can match up colours of the cross with those on the sides of the cube. See next step.

Step 2 - Matching Side Colours of the Cross (if necessary)

Choose either Sune or its left hand version (called Left Sune from now on) to do this by checking the colours of the edge pieces on the right and left sides. This can be very quick after enough practice and familiarisation. Always check and then use the algorithm when you have a side already matched facing you. Right Sune will result in the top edges pieces, except the one in front, rotating clockwise. And vice versa. If you see that that the left or right side are also colours matched already, then spin the cube to the left until you find a side that is not matched up, then do a U (to match up the colour in front) before Sune, thus:

⦁ U (R U R' U R U2 R')

TIP. Using the left hand for the U2 in the two algorithms above should make the turning easier.​

After this, turn the cube up towards up slightly to check the back to see if it's also matched, If so, continue turning the cube till it is “up side down” and the white cross is facing down, ready for the next step. Occasionally, the back side is still not match up after Sune, then you will have to repeat what's done before, i.e. Spinning the cube to the left until you find an unmatched side and then again do a U and then Sune. That happens if the front and back are already matched before you start Sune.

TIP. If you have been more careful and noticed it (front and back have colours matched up already) before doing the Sune, here is a fun way to match all colours without using Sune at all :

⦁ M2 U2 M2

Step 3 - Solving the Rest of the First Layer

Turn the cube down so the White cross is facing down, if not done already, and put the corner pieces in one by one. Find a corner piece with White corner from the top layer and turn the top layer to position above where it needs to go. Use either the Right or Left hand version of the algorithm (R U R' U'). Refer to online material for instructions for this step.

TIP. This is not necessary, but will be nice if you want to make the solve smoother and faster. When the white coloured corner piece is correctly aligned on top of where it should go, and if the White colour is facing you, then you can avoid rotating the whole cube to the side to do (R U R' U') or its left hand version, by using the algorithm below instead. It's very easy, just remember to relax the fingers for this and try not to push the thumb forward when doing F' or F. Push up, not forward. This change also avoids over-doing the R U R' U' algorithm during a solve to make it more interesting. Learning this will also help to make it more efficient when fixing the Second Layer.

⦁ F' U' F (when the white colour is on the right), or
⦁ F U' F' (when the white colour is on the left)

For corner pieces with White facing up, use the most convenient move out of these - (R U2 R' U' F' U' F) or its left-hand version (L' U'2, L U F U F'), depending again on the rotation of the cube or your grip.

SECOND LAYER

Use the standard second layer method for Beginners, i.e. select the correct edge pieces from the top (with no Yellow colour) one by one and put them in the right place on the second layer. To avoid having to regrip, as required in the most basic LBL method (using both versions of the basic sexy move but having to change hands), I recommend using this instead:

⦁ (R U R' U' F' U' F) or its Left hand version (L' U' L U F U F') as appropriate.

Special Case. Any required edge piece that is stuck in the wrong position in the second layer can be taken out and put on top with same move - (R U R' U' F' U' F).

TIP. If this stuck edge piece has the two same colours as those on the two sides of the cube, then you can save time with the following step, avoiding looking for the piece and aligning it. Immediately after taking it out, do this to put it in its correct final position - U' and another (R U R' U' F' U' F). In this case, the whole algorithm for putting a stuck edge piece in its correct position will become:

⦁ (R U R' U' F' U' F) U' (R U R' U' F' U' F)

LAST LAYER

OLL (3 LOOKS)

OLL Look #1 - Make a Yellow Cross

(This part should be similar to many standard LBL method.)

Look at the shape of the edge pieces on the top layer. If you see:

Case 1. Yellow Line.

Turn the top layer if necessary to make the line horizontal and then use this to get the Yellow Cross.
⦁ F (R U R' U') F'

Case 2. Yellow Angle.
Turn the top layer if necessary to make the angle look like "3:30" on the clock face, then use this algorithm to get the cross.
⦁ f (R U R' U') f'

Case 3. Yellow Dot (= Case 1 + Case 2)
Combine the above two algorithms above for this case.
⦁ F (R U R' U') F' f (R U R' U') f

OLL Look #2 - Matching UP or Orientating the Corner Pieces

*** This part (the rest of OLL) is the main change from other similar LBL methods ***

"Flip Flop and Feed the Fish" ;)

As soon as you have a Yellow Cross on top, check the corners pieces to see if they are correctly positioned for the final solved position (relative to each other). Do this by turning the top layer and comparing the colours of the corner pieces to those on the sides of the cube, and find the two corner pieces that are correct. They are usually next to each other (adjacent corners), but sometimes they are diagonally opposite each other. Don't worry about the top edge pieces.

We want to fix the orientation of these corners now, right away. Even if all pieces are orientated, ie all facing up, it is still necessary to do this, with the steps/s below. This together with the more use of the Sune greatly simplies the final steps of 4LLL method, and also make the solve more intuitive, as well as more interesting by always finishing with an algorithm with the interesting M-move.

Case 1. Swap Adjacent Corners

Put the two corners that need to be fixed in front (correct ones at the back). Use this algorithm to correct.
  • (U R U' L') ( U R' U' L) U
(The last U is not necessary and you can save a little time by skipping it, but it is very helpful as it will line up all the corner pieces in their proper positions so that you can check easily It also helps to set up the cube for a more consistent or predictable position for the next step.)

(I call this simple but useful swapping algorithm the "Flip Flop", due to the back and forth movements involved. ) :D

Case 2. Swapping two diagonally opposite corner pieces

When 2 diagonally opposite corner pieces need to be swapped, turn the cube so that one of them is at the front and on your left, i.e. the two good corner pieces are in the front right corner and back left corner. Then use the same algorithm as in Case 1 and the result is – instead of the diagonally opposite corners being in the wrong positions, you will have two adjacent corner pieces in the wrong position and both of them are on the left side, i.e. the same case as in Case 1. Yu don't have to look or check this result because both the two incorrect corner pieces will always be on the left . Just spin the cube right to put both wrong corners at the front and do the same as in Case 1. The two steps (for Diagonal Swap to Adjacent Swap to fixing all corners) can be combined and performed in one go.
  • (U R U' L') ( U R' U' L) Spin cube to Right (U R U' L') ( U R' U' L)
Do a U after this long sequence of steps, to align all the corners in the correct positions for easier checking. This also helps to get consistent resultant positions for the next step. If on checking there is a mistake, then just re-do to get all corners fixed.

OLL Look #3 - Getting all pieces on top oriented.

Once all the corners are fixed, use the following steps to get all Yellow pieces to face up, depending on which shape the Yellow colours form. The Sune algorithm is used extensively here because it does not change the relative positions of the four corner pieces.

Case 1. Fish - Only one corner oriented and there is a Yellow "Fish" shape on top (3 non-Yellow colours facing up)

Always "feed" the Fish and do it from the correct side. When using Sune in OLL, it is important to remember to position the “Fish” so that its head is in front on one side and there is a piece with Yellow colour facing you on the other. If this Yellow colour is on the Right then do a Right Sune. If it is on the left, then do the left hand version. Big thanks to all those great works by all the teacher and content creators, but especially I think this algorithm by Sune is amazing! It can be used for rotation of edge colours, completing the top Yellow face, and orientation of corner pieces without messing up their relative positions.
  • (R U R' U R U2 R'), U2
  • or the left hand version - (L' U' L U' L' U'2 L) U2

The u2 at the end will line up all the corner pieces to match their colours with the sides of the cube. Go to PLL.

Case 2 - Yellow Cross Only.

Case 2a. Pi (2 Headlights at the front and 2 Yellow facing the sides at the back)
Turn the top layer to have the back of the PI facing you (no Yellow colour facing you, headlights facing back). Do the Right Sune, and you should get a "Fish". Then do a U, and you should have another Fish turned to the correction position (with Yellow colour facing you), then do the Right Sune again.

⦁ (R U R' U R U2 R') U (R U R' U R U2 R') U'

(The last U' is to line up all the corners with the sides, to get ready for the next step in PLL.) Go to PLL.

Case 2b. Two pairs of headlights shining in opposite directions.
Start with the headlights face left and right (and not shining towards you), and then do Sune x2.
⦁ (R U R' U R U2 R') x2
This double Sune can be shortened to just
⦁ (R U R' U R U2 R') U' (R U R' U R U2 R')
Go to PLL.

Case 3. Hammerhead

If you have a Hammerhead (AKA Shark), turn the shark's head to face left (Yellow colour in front and on the left facing you) and do the Right Sune to get a "Fish". If necessary, do another (Left) Sune.
⦁ (R U R' U R U2 R') (L' U' L U' L' U'2 L)

Go to PLL.

Case 4. Headlights Only (all Yellow facing up except the 2 front headlights)
Make sure the headlights are facing you, then do a Sune, U2, and then do a left-hand Sune.
  • (R U R' U R U2 R') U2 (L' U' L U' L' U'2 L)
The next move is always U2. It lines up all the corners properly, getting ready for the next step in PLL.

Case 5. Diamond (AKA Bow Tie). All Yellow on top except for 2 diagonally opposite corner pieces.

Turn the top layer if necessary so that you can see a piece with Yellow facing you***. If this piece is on the Left side, then do a Right Sune, or vice versa. You will then get a Fish. Turn the top layer so as to have Yellow facing you and do another Sune, this time with the other hand.

***Lets assume you put the Yellow facing on the Left side, the whole algorithm then becomes:
⦁ (R U R' U R U2 R') U' (L' U' L U' L' U'2 L) (i.e. Right Sune U' Left Sune)

If the have Yellow facing you on the Right side, then use the mirror algorithms - Left Sune U Right Sune.
(TIP. It's possible to streamline this. I always try to choose and do Right Sune first (by turning and having Yellow colour facing me on the left), so that it is more consistent and I can do a U afterwards (without any more checking) to go directly to the next step).​

PLL (1 LOOK)

The top face should be all Yellow now. All the corners on top should also be correct. Turn the top layer if necessary to make sure the corners are all aligned properly, with their colours matching those of the 3 sides of the cube.. Only the edge pieces on top still need to be fixed up to complete the solve. And if so, use one of the following steps to finish the solve. If the corners are not all lined up, then you have made a mistake somewhere, and most likely need to go back to the OLL step above (OLL Look #2) to swap and fix the corners.

Except for Case 1, there should be plenty of video and instructions online that will teach the steps listed here.

Case 1 - One of the sides of the cube is solved

Make sure the solved side is at the back. Check the edge piece in front and also those on the two sides of the cube to determine the direction in which they should rotate. Choose one of the following algorithms to do the rotation and finish the solve.

1a. Anti-clockwise rotation of edge pieces.

Hold the cube with the solved side at the back. Then use this algorithm to finish.

⦁ F2 U' M' U2 M U' F2
(TIP. This may help if you also have small hands. I use my right little finger to do M', my left hand to do U2, and my right thumb to do M.)​
1b. Back side solved, rotate top edge pieces clockwise

⦁ F2 U M' U2 M U F2
Case 2. Swap opposite edge pieces (H-Perm).

Check the colours of the the edge piece in front and back to make sure they are directly opposite, i.e. Red and Orange, Blue and Green, etc.
⦁ M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2

Case 3. Swap adjacent edge pieces. (Z-Perm).

For this algorithm, make sure the cube is held so that the edge pieces on the right side and the one at the front are swapped. Otherwise spin it once to the right or to the left.

⦁ M' U M2 U M2 U M' U2 M2 U

And voila! It's so satisfying to see a cube's middle layer turning fast and then stopping suddenly. Solved! :D

Thanks

Last edited:

brododragon

The difference between this method and standard 4LLL seems like just positioning the corners (to there correct position) before orienting them, instead of after. Seems like this just uses lots of sunes, which I guess saves on memorization of algorithms, but you can just do sunes to replace algorithms with normal LBL, no?

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Thank you very much for your feedback. It's true Sune is very important for my method. In the OLL, it has to be used twice for each case (for all cases- Pi, Hammerhead, Headlights and Diamond) and that is the trade-off - repeating this algorithm vs memorising more algorithms for speed. If it is also used in matching up the colours of the White Cross, then that's 3 times it will be used in that solve. The other main difference is the way corners are swapped (diagonal and adjacent corners). The single algorithm used for both cases, (U R' U' L') (U R U' L), has 2 symmetrical parts for the 2 hands and I find it very simple and easier to remember than the two algorithms for swapping corners in 4LLL. The results of this algorithm, and also those of Sune, are also very consistent. For example, the 4 corners are always in the same positions each time after they are have been fixed. That's where more optimising should be possible, like doing a U or U2 afterwards to move the Fish to the right position for Sune. It is however still a very basic method.

The difference between this method and standard 4LLL seems like just positioning the corners (to there correct position) before orienting them, instead of after. Seems like this just uses lots of sunes, which I guess saves on memorization of algorithms, but you can just do sunes to replace algorithms with normal LBL, no?

Regarding your last question, I just checked the normal LBL. With the absolute beginner LBL, you have to use R U R' U' repeatedly at the end to twist the corners to orientate them (after solving the edge pieces of the last layer first). I believe there are LBL methods that also use Sune to do this orientation, but I think they all do this before any corner swapping. That means a more complicated swapping algorithm. If you are talking about 4LLL, then Sune is used but only for cases when one corner was solved (Fish). There are many other cases when other algorithms than Sune have to be used and therefore memorised in 4LLL, e.g. Headlights, Pi (no corners solved), and for the 3 cases when 2 corners are solved. In my method, Sune is used for all the cases, making things much simpler, and this is possible only because the corners have already been positioned correctly before the full orientation of this layer is performed. I think that's true, but I am still to learn 4LLL. In fact, you are still correct, what I am doing with my method is exactly that - "just do sunes to replace algorithms with normal LBL", or rather in a customised version of the basic LBL.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Last layer seems quite similar to the original Petrus last layer at https://lar5.com/cube/index.html
And ‘beginner’s method’ is a very flexible terms, so I can’t really compare. Seems fine though, but obviously, eventually you’ll eant to upgrade. Sub 1 min is definitely possible, standard beginner’s method can go to sub 12 consistently (but TPS and previous experience obviously carry across )

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I don't know anything about Petrus, but thanks for pointing it out. I checked your link just now and found that "Page 6" about Corner Twisting using Sune and I can see the similiarity you mentioned. Very interesting. Yes, Sune is also used in my method for the same reason, making the usual method of corner twisting in the basic LBL method (using sexy move) unnecessary.

It's great to hear that I should be able to break 1 min with it. :D That's my next goal, but I am still struggling with a PB of around 1:20 at this time, while learning finger tricks and looking ahead. I know i'm the analytical type, too much thinking and procrastinating and not enough practise. :rolleyes:

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
May I ask someone to demonstrate the finger tricks for the swapping algorithm used, please?

(U R' U' L') (U R U' L)
(U R U' L') ( U R' U' L)

Though very simple, I find it a little awkward and hard to turn fast. I could not find any video of anyone doing this.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
May I ask someone to demonstrate the finger tricks for the swapping algorithm used, please?

(U R' U' L') (U R U' L)

Though very simple, I find it a little awkward and hard to turn fast. I could not find any video of anyone doing this.
From normal home grip.
Normal U, R’ as usual but don’t move hand, U’ as usual, L’ as usual but don’t move hand, then the rest is simple.
It’s basically not shifting grip.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
From normal home grip.
Normal U, R’ as usual but don’t move hand, U’ as usual, L’ as usual but don’t move hand, then the rest is simple.
It’s basically not shifting grip.

I think you mean - Don't turn the wrist for R, R', L and L' moves, and just flick to turn and continue to hold the cube with the usual grip, i.e. thumb still on the front of the cube after flicking. Thank you.

xyzzy

(U R' U' L') (U R U' L)

Do you mean Niklas: R' U L U' R U L'?

There are four variants of Niklas:
L' U R U' L U R'
R U' L' U R' U' L
L U' R' U L' U' R
R' U L U' R U L'

The first one can be executed like r' F R F' r U R' and the second one like R U' r' F R F' r to make them regripless, but personally, for all four of these I just do the regrips.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member

L' U R U' L U R'
R U' L' U R' U' L
L U' R' U L' U' R
R' U L U' R U L'

The first one can be executed like r' F R F' r U R' and the second one like R U' r' F R F' r to make them regripless, but personally, for all four of these I just do the regrips.

I don't think it's Niklas but thanks.

moh_33

(U R' U' L') (U R U' L)

I never seen this alg before so this may be not effective but I came up with this (<click it)

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
:oops:
Wow! You have amazing speed. I could not see your fingers turning it until I play it with slooow motion. Thank you very much moh 33. Just what I needed. So, I see it can be very fast.

It is a simple and easy Beginner's algorithm for swapping adjacent corner pieces or swapping diagonally opposite corner pieces on the top layer. To swap adjacent corners, put the 2 good corners at the back. and it will make all corners good, i.e. all aligned properly in the right positions. For diagonal swaps, it has to be used twice. First, put one of the good diagonal corners at the front on the right side, then the algorithm will do the swapping. You will end up with 2 good corners that are adjacent to each other. After that, you can do what is normally done for swapping adjacent corners - put these good ones at the back and repeat the same algorithm, to get all 4 corners fixed. Simple and easy to learn, just right for beginners, but it has to be repeated for diagonal swaps. However, it does not require another "look", or stopping, when repeating the algorithm when necessary for diagonal swaps, as explained in my method document above.

Thank you. This is great.

I mean, the alg you wrote affects more than one layer's corners. (virtual cube)

Are you sure you're turning all the Ls and Rs in the correct directions?

Yes, I think so. See my reply to moh 33. Just try and see for yourself. It works every time for me, to sort the corners so that they are all perfectly aligned (although they may rotate but still retain the relative position to each other).

Hey, this virtual cube thing is so cute!! However you had the wrong algorithm there. It should be U R U' L' U R' U' L.

Like this: Click this.

Important Update. I just discovered that it was my fault, there was a typing mistake in the algorithm and I have misled you, and everybody else I think. OK. Thanks. I will make the corrections in the earlier messages. Apologies to all those who I have confused.

Second Update. Corrections made.

xyzzy

However you had the wrong algorithm there. It should be U R U' L' U R' U' L.
That's exactly what I was trying to say, lol. The one you originally wrote (which started with R') was incorrect. The one you just wrote is one of the Niklas variants I listed above (the second one).

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member

L' U R U' L U R'
R U' L' U R' U' L
L U' R' U L' U' R
R' U L U' R U L'

I am sorry. There was a typing mistake, in my earlier messages. The algorithm should be:

(U R U' L') ( U R' U' L)

and it does work to swap corners.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, lol. The one you originally wrote (which started with R') was incorrect. The one you just wrote is one of the Niklas variants I listed above (the second one).

The correct corner swapping algorithm should be (U R U' L') ( U R' U' L). It starts with U. The Niklas algorithms you listed all start with R or L.