• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner to BLD needs help! :)

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey speedsolving! Im new here AND also new to BLD. So im wondering if any of you guys could post tips, about how to memo the CORNERS for old pochmann. For edges, im using his method, which is RB-spiderman, BW-fresh milk, etc etc and link them to form a funny/violent/sexual/weird story. Buttt.... for corners i cant seem to do that. Anyone with tips? Or better methods? Because the method im currently using for corners is this: (ULB buffer) i use numbers. For eg, 1-RUB, 2-RDB, 3-RFB, 4-RFU.... and so on until i get to 21. I normally have like 8~10 numbers to memo. I memo the edges, then the corners, which basically means the story, then the numbers. So when i start execution, i recall the story and solve. Then the moment I need to solve corners, I forget the numbers == lol.:fp

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does that work? Then what about the parities and stuff? Normally after edges, if I counted an odd number of objects eg.13, I'd do T-perm to fix the corners, then U-ccw to permute the edges properly. What happens if I execute the corners first? Hmm, lets give a go. Thanks for the input :p

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Does that work? Then what about the parities and stuff? Normally after edges, if I counted an odd number of objects eg.13, I'd do T-perm to fix the corners, then U-ccw to permute the edges properly. What happens if I execute the corners first? Hmm, lets give a go. Thanks for the input :p

For parity, solve all the corners, then before starting edges, do an R-perm to swap the URB and URF corners and the UB and UL edges. (the UB and UL are the two edges that were swapped with the Y-perm corners, and the URB and URF corners are the ones that are swapped by the T-perm used to solve edges)

Litz

Try using letters for corners. One letter for each sticker. Memo edges with your story memo first. Once that's done, quickly memo corners (just repeat the letters in your head) and start solving them. You should be able to solve corners and still remember your story afterwards.

xdaragon

WCA
2010BANH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What you should do is find a way to relate the stickers on each corner and relate it to something. For me when I see the corner with the red white and blue I think USA or RED GREEN YELLOW I think of a stoplight. I hope that makes some sense.

Johan444

WCA
2010SLDJ01
I imagine a path over the cube for the permutation. For the orientation I memorize an A for white/yellow stickers, a B for blue/green, a C for red/orange and a dot (.) for breaking into a new cycle. Then just count the amount of dots and letters in the memorized string, odd = parity.

ColdFactor

Banned
I actually imagine a line connecting each corner to where it is going to go.
Might not be the fastest way, but it works for me.

Erzz

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do a different kind of story, every position a sticker can be on the cube has a letter. So if I saw it needed to go to UFL it would be D, then I continue like that. Then if I memorize say DRJSYM, I just put words to the letters. Dinosaurs randomly just seek yellow melons. I can make them up pretty quickly and they are easy to remember.