• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Coronavirus With Cubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleeperOPMD

Heyaw,

Sorry for this to be one of my first posts here, but as a biology major, let me clear a few things up:

No, that's not possible. The virus can survive no longer than 20 minutes on products so you don't have to worry about that.

As someone mentioned, that's incorrect. The virus can persist for quite a while. However, exposure to UV light, alcohol, bleach, etc. will kill it, so just treat your cube with some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) when you get it and you'll be fine.

... so give your cube a vinegar bath lol.
The acetic acid in vinegar is probably not concentrated enough to do a good job. Use rubbing alcohol or bleach. Soap or leaving it disassembled in the sun (UV light) will work in a pinch, but alcohol and bleach are better choices.

Coronavirus is less deadly than the flu. Just a thought.

Not even close. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is WAY more deadly than the flu. The flu has killed more people because it's been around longer, but COVID-19 is significantly more deadly. It's also more contagious (R0 of 2.2 vs. 1.3).

Even if you get it and it goes away, you can still get it again.

You can only get it again if it mutates, which is definitely possible. However, as far as I know, there are no reported cases of a mutated version of COVID-19.

While most people here are young and healthy, if you catch it, you can transmit it to loved ones with weaker immune systems who may not be so lucky. Be smart and say safe.

-Sleepy

Nanite

So this might sound controversial, but I have a theory. All of the Chinese cube companies have cubes coming from China. Could these cubes possibly be affected by coronavirus? This is just a theory, and I'm not a super paranoid person about coronavirus, but I might hold off on ordering cubes until this blows over.
Yep.. Covid-19 Scrambled my cubes!
LOL. ;p
In truth, the virus has been found to have survived on objects for a lot longer than many other germ viruses.
Think of hand rails, electronic buttons, shopping carts, money!
Your apprehension is well supported by researchers. I've got a weakened immune system already and have been practicing certain precautions to avoid catching even a cold.
The best thing is wash...Really wash your hands with soap for 20seconds try reciting the SUNNE or any 20sec algorithm. Leave puzzles in quarantine. Wipe down with peroxide, it kills germs and won't harm the painted stickers. (I known from experience that hand sanitizer can remove paint..not all sanitizer does but I'm careful with all cubes)
Thanks for reading
Self isolate...*thinks of cube collection* ...Done

SleeperOPMD

Wipe down with peroxide, it kills germs and won't harm the painted stickers. (I known from experience that hand sanitizer can remove paint..not all sanitizer does but I'm careful with all cubes)

Hydrogen peroxide will kill viruses. Just confirming for anyone reading. Good to know that It won't kill stickers/paint!

Lux

Oof, living in Italy right now must be terrible. I heard that most people either are not allowed or too afraid to leave their homes. Is that true?
We're in quarantine right now, but if you act responsibly it is less dangerous. People are dying and the situation is severe. The government is telling us to stay at home not to infect each other, so I believe that people are being thoughtful, in the majority of the cases.
Wish you the best in this critical situation and if go under quarantine like us today, having a community like this could be very important.

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
We're in quarantine right now, but if you act responsibly it is less dangerous. People are dying and the situation is severe. The government is telling us to stay at home not to infect each other, so I believe that people are being thoughtful, in the majority of the cases.
Wish you the best in this critical situation and if go under quarantine like us today, having a community like this could be very important.
NY is going into lockdown on Sunday. I am stocked up on lube and cubes so I'm ready to break the boredom.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
NY is going into lockdown on Sunday. I am stocked up on lube and cubes so I'm ready to break the boredom.
Minnesota is probably the next state to go into lockdown. A lot of people here don't give a crap that they might be spreading it to others. Those are the people who are wrecking our schools and cubing competitions.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Funny thing about lockdown quarantine: essential jobs need to keep getting done. Hospitals, pharmacies, and grocery stores need to stay open, as well as infrastructure like roads, water, electricity, internet, etc. Also the entire supply chain for all of those things. In reality 100% lockdown quarantine means “don’t go to school, church, theaters, concerts, sporting events, or sit-down restaurants, and if your job can be done over the telephone or internet then do that.” At most 100% of people staying home means about 30% of people staying home.

WCA
2019WILK04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dunno if this has been asked as I dont have time to read every page, will Chinese companies be able to bring out new cubes? I'm in the market for a new cube, semi-owning my friends cube is kind of strange.
I take it so, GAN must have been planning to release the 356 M throughout the worst of the coronavirus in China, and now everything is begging to get back to normal there it was released, so as of now it’s a yes I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.