• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Was your competition canceled because of the Coronavirus?

White KB

3141 Rubik's Cube Ave., Somewhere on E_rth
WCA
2019BRUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's a lot that's concerning about your post, and I highly encourage you to read through the other COVID-19 related thread here: https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/coronavirus-with-cubes.76630/

Additionally, this is one of the more informative videos I've seen about why this virus is scary, and may explain why even 13 people infected in your state (not counting unconfirmed cases) is highly concerning:
A lot has happened and my opinion has changed since then. Let me explain.
On Sunday, March 15, 2020 @ around 4:30 PM, I found out that school was going to be cancelled this week as an extension to Spring Break. I have done more research, and understand the situation a lot better now. I did not mean to offend anyone, as I said, I was stating my opinion at the time. Thank you for providing some feedback, as it is much appreciated.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A lot has happened and my opinion has changed since then. Let me explain.
On Sunday, March 15, 2020 @ around 4:30 PM, I found out that school was going to be cancelled this week as an extension to Spring Break. I have done more research, and understand the situation a lot better now. I did not mean to offend anyone, as I said, I was stating my opinion at the time. Thank you for providing some feedback, as it is much appreciated.
Glad to hear it! I'll admit I had very uninformed opinions about the virus a few weeks ago too, and my worldview was changing on a daily basis.

Last edited:

brododragon

I know it's late, but
I'm just saying that if people would just realize that they can't contain the virus at this point
The point is not to contain, but rather to slow it down so doctors can keep up
that it's going to be an annual thing
It almost certainly won't be annual. SARS, another coronavirus, was not annual along with the overwhelming majority of other viruses out there.

Edit:
Virginia banned all gatherings over 50 people, effectively cancelling all competitions in the state.
Wait what? I was not aware of this!

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Virginia banned all gatherings over 50 people, effectively cancelling all competitions in the state.
The WCA has requested that all competitions are cancelled. Most competitions indeed are. We expect at most 12 competitions worldwide in the next month, as opposed to ten times that in a normal month. And out of those 12 competitions, most likely more than half of those will be cancelled, if not all of them.

That being said, in Europe, more and more countries are going into complete lockdown. That includes not even being allowed to leave the house. Extreme measures for an exteme situation. Good luck everyone.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
All schools are closed in the Netherlands, as well as all restaurants, hotels, bars, coffeeshops, sports clubs, gyms, etc. I'm expecting clothing stores and other non essential stores will also close soon and we'll have only supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations and other essentials remaining open.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
I had a slight temperature and sore throat over the weekend, and as a precaution, the school says I need to stay at home for 7 days before returning to school :rolleyes:. At least 12 others have been sent home as well.
Yeah my little sister couldn't go to dance for a month when she had a one day stomach virus because of corona

Datspedcube

Was going to go to a comp, didn't end up getting to go for other reasons...
Anyway, in Nebraska, there are only 13 people with Coronavirus, and yet the school principal was considering shutting down school for the next week and us doing classes from home. It didn't end up happening, but it got close and we don't know if it's going be cancelled or when.
In any case, I don't see why everyone is making a big deal of Coronavirus. Shutting down a competition because of Coronavirus concerns makes sense near Wuhan or some place with a high concentration of patients, say, over 0.1%, but people postponing and/or shutting down everything because of one virus is kind of unwise in my opinion.
I'm just saying that if people would just realize that they can't contain the virus at this point and that it's going to be an annual thing, people would stop freaking out, and there should be no reason to worry.
Anyone who has read this is free to disagree, but I'm simply stating my opinion.
(Also, in case you're wondering, we have enough toilet paper to last us through August.)
I definitely agree with this.

I was going to that comp

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I definitely agree with this.
What a silly thing to say, with out giving any reason for your "agreement" and any thoughts or comments to it. Maybe you should start with reading the World news, CDC's thoughts, WHO's thoughts, any local health organizations recommendations, US laws being put in to affect for a month or two etc. before you say you agree with @White KB ...who to b clear and what I would like to point your attention to, changed his mind on what he said in light of recent news after his initial comment.

To repost what @White KB posted above:
"A lot has happened and my opinion has changed since then. Let me explain.
On Sunday, March 15, 2020 @ around 4:30 PM, I found out that school was going to be cancelled this week as an extension to Spring Break. I have done more research, and understand the situation a lot better now. I did not mean to offend anyone, as I said, I was stating my opinion at the time. Thank you for providing some feedback, as it is much appreciated."

GAN 356 X

None of the comps im going to are cancelled, but they were ones I was gonna go to but couldn't becuaue they were too far away. Also, @CornerCutter I think it would be interesting if you made an episode on cubing and Coronavirus, perhaps interviewing several cubers and their opinions etc. I think it would be very interesting, as it is what is all over the news right now

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
None of the comps im going to are cancelled, but they were ones I was gonna go to but couldn't becuaue they were too far away. Also, @CornerCutter I think it would be interesting if you made an episode on cubing and Coronavirus, perhaps interviewing several cubers and their opinions etc. I think it would be very interesting, as it is what is all over the news right now
It'd be a good topic for cuber chats, or even a debate where the opposing sides are whether or not we should be this worried about corona