• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best beginner method for solving 3 cubes while juggling them?

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
Hi

A friend of mine who is a professional magician and juggler saw the video of that guy solving three cubes while juggling them.

He is willing to learn that too, as he's always searching for new juggling tricks.
The thing is, hat he's not a cuber at all, so he can't solve a cube yet. But that shouldn't stop him i guess. So I taught him basic OH moves and now the question is, which method he should learn for that trick.
As i said, he's not a cuber at all, and he doesn't want to become a speed cuber, he just wants to get that trick done, so the method doesn't need to prepare his speedcubing career or something. I thought it should be a method on which serves four main things:

1. convenient move sequences for OH turning

2. Easy to look ahead

3. Efficiency (as he wants to go on stage which it, so it shouldn't take too long)

4. Kinda easy to learn

So the question is, which method would be best for him.

Side note: He is a kinda intelligent guy, so he will be able to learn techniques like f2l kinda fast, so the method may have big intuitive parts in it. But the problem with intuitive parts on the other hand might be, that its kind hard to look ahead especially while juggling...

What do you think?

Last edited:

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure but methods that rely much on inspection are probably not good in this case (in a fast stage performance) and he doesn't want to invest the time to learn planning an EOline in 3 seconds?
Roux OH is only convenient with table abuse.
CFOP is mostly 2-gen and rotations don't matter because the cubes are juggled anyway. However, to make CFOP efficient, a huge number of algs is required.

I guess it comes down to Petrus.

efattah

Tell your friend to give up. There are only 2 or 3 people in the world who can solve cubes while juggling them (like Anthony Brooks) and this is WAY harder than speedsolving and indeed you would need to first spend a few years learning speedsolving to become familiar enough with the cube to even try it.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Tell your friend to give up. There are only 2 or 3 people in the world who can solve cubes while juggling them (like Anthony Brooks) and this is WAY harder than speedsolving and indeed you would need to first spend a few years learning speedsolving to become familiar enough with the cube to even try it.

I say, you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

efattah

Nothing is impossible. I'm just saying that the juggler in question has unrealistic expectations of how long it would take to learn this skill. If he's willing to put in 2-3 hours per day for 2-4 years, then for sure, go for it.

unirox13

He probably stands a better chance of trying to solve one cube while juggling it and two balls. He'd still have to dedicate some time to learning how to solve and understand the cube, but it would be much easier than solving three cubes. He'd start by juggling, keeping his eye on the cube. Then when the cube is about to reach his dominant hand, he does a high, two-ball flash, with the other two props. This allows him a few seconds to do a couple of quick, two handed moves with the cube. As the balls return to the pattern, he continues juggling for a couple of seconds. Repeat this process until the cube is solved. It would still be very tough, but certainly easier to do than solving three puzzles in the juggling pattern. Also very impressive to an audience member that can do neither.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01

Well, this is not very helpful :p

I say, you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

This.

He probably stands a better chance of trying to solve one cube while juggling it and two balls. He'd still have to dedicate some time to learning how to solve and understand the cube, but it would be much easier than solving three cubes. He'd start by juggling, keeping his eye on the cube. Then when the cube is about to reach his dominant hand, he does a high, two-ball flash, with the other two props. This allows him a few seconds to do a couple of quick, two handed moves with the cube. As the balls return to the pattern, he continues juggling for a couple of seconds. Repeat this process until the cube is solved. It would still be very tough, but certainly easier to do than solving three puzzles in the juggling pattern. Also very impressive to an audience member that can do neither.

Thats definitely one of the steps of learning the trick.

I have no help to offer but this may be the best thread title evar.

Why?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I'm guessing block building on the fly is probably quite useful. Efficiency is useful, but I think a low algorithm count is far more important. I imagine you can't really rely on muscle memory when doing one move at a time while juggling.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
I'm guessing block building on the fly is probably quite useful. Efficiency is useful, but I think a low algorithm count is far more important. I imagine you can't really rely on muscle memory when doing one move at a time while juggling.

Yes, blockbuliding will be the way to go. But whats the best ll method then? edge control with sunes and a-perm, u-perm? Any other ideas?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Yes, blockbuliding will be the way to go. But whats the best ll method then? edge control with sunes and a-perm, u-perm? Any other ideas?
You want shortish algs that aren't too hard to undo if you make a mistake. F R U R' U' F' is both short and easy to follow, so it's probably easier to teach that instead of edge control. Sune, A and U are probably fine. J may be easier than A, although it's longer. It's something your friend will have to try and see which they prefer.

I juggle, and I cube. I'm not sure I'll ever try to put them together.

If I did, I'd spend some time working on solving one handed, which I don't currently do. (I use Roux for speedsolving, OP for blind, and just recently learned a 5x5.) Neither of those, nor the beginner's method would help much.

I agree that one of the block building methods (not Roux though) would be the way to go.

Remind your friend of how he probably learned to juggle. You don't start with three balls. You start with one. Start with one cube. Learn to solve it. Learn to solve it one handed. Learn to toss it up from hand to hand, turning it as it lands in the dominant hand. Learn to catch and solve it with the non-dominant hand. Add a ball to this. Add a second ball.

He may not want to become a speedcuber. However, he's going to have to be fast to make this look good. Sure, it's impressive to add even one cube into the mix and solve it while juggling, but his audience will lose patience if the trick takes very long.

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
Remind your friend of how he probably learned to juggle. You don't start with three balls. You start with one. Start with one cube. Learn to solve it. Learn to solve it one handed. Learn to toss it up from hand to hand, turning it as it lands in the dominant hand. Learn to catch and solve it with the non-dominant hand. Add a ball to this. Add a second ball.

Yep, thats the way to go.
He learned other crazy stuff too, so i really think that its possible for him

i dont think this is possible how can you look ahead whilst juggling and how can you have the cubes land in the right spot for you to turn them?

also this video is faked like the last one soooooo.......

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
i dont think this is possible how can you look ahead whilst juggling and how can you have the cubes land in the right spot for you to turn them?

also this video is faked like the last one soooooo.......
Try it. Then you know if its possible for you.

And i don't think that its faked, is it?

is you pause the video at any point you cant see distortion and if you play it slowly i don't think you can see him turn the cubes