• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best method for 2x2? (beginner)

What is the best method for me?

I can solve a 2x2 by solving the first layer, then using an algorithm (a-perm maybe) to put the corners in the right place, then I do r' d' r d to finish.

Any help is appreciated

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look at a OLL and PLL (orientate first). There are a few algorithms for orientating the last layer. I started with just learning R U R' U R U2 R' (and the reverse L' U' L U' L' U2 L') You can orientate all the corners with doing that just two times and can get pretty fast at it. You just need to know that if you have no corners orientated correctly have the Front/left corner side that should be facing up to point to the left and do the R U R' U R U2 R' algorithm. If you only have two corners not right have the front/left corner be a wrong one and facing you. (I hope that made sense). If you have 3 incorrect corners than you just have to do the algorithm once. I'm sure if you look up a tutorial you will see what I mean. It makes it a lot easier to find where the corners go once they are all facing up. Then you can just learn the PLL on swapping two corners.

You will soon get faster with that and can later learn more OLL and PLL to get even faster! I just started a few months ago. My record 2x2 a month ago was 30 seconds which I was super happy about. I timed myself today and was sub-10.

NotFastAtAll

I would also recommend Ortega over LBL. On 90% of solves it is much faster. It is easily capable of sub 4 and with enough practice sub 3.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
you can use R U R' U R U2 R' U2 to orient instead of R' D' R D, but ortega will be even faster than that. It's only 12 algs, and although that seems like a lot all but three or four of them are the same as 3x3 algs, so you don't need to actually learn them, just learn what they do.