• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Beginners Method Discussion thread

For the beginner method, after I have the yellow cross, I seem to spend a lot of time figuring out if the last layer corners are adjacent or diagonal. Any tips here?

xyzzy

For the beginner method, after I have the yellow cross, I seem to spend a lot of time figuring out if the last layer corners are adjacent or diagonal. Any tips here?

If you're still using something like the method from TheCubicle's video, it might be a good time to move to OLL and PLL. Doing corner permutation (CP) recognition quickly at this stage is not easy; far as I know, the only fast CP recognition system is to learn 40-something cases of all the ways the corners can be oriented and positioned in the last layer.

Regardless, this is the system I figured out on my own when I was using a similar method: Know your opposite colours (i.e. green is opposite blue, red is opposite orange). Look for two adjacent corners sharing a colour and bring them to the side of that colour. Say, for example, the shared colour is green, so you move the two adjacent corners to the green side. (This will automatically do the same thing to the opposite colour, which in this case is blue.) Check if the green corners need to be swapped and if the blue corners need to be swapped. If only one pair needs to be swapped… that's just the pair you need to swap. If both pairs need swapping, you can do a diagonal swap to finish it.

Alternative to the R’ D’ R D method? Is there any better way of doing this. I tried learning the Fredrich method but I started cubing 3 days ago. I’ve solved my cube in around 2-3 minutes per attempt. But I wanna get my yellow corners done quicker

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to improve your last layer, I'd recommend learning something called 4 look last layer (4lll). There are 15 algoroithms in total.
https://www.cubeskills.com/tutorials/4-look-last-layer
I'd recommend using these, and also making an account. Then once you feel like you're ready, learn CFOP, Petrus, ZZ and Roux and choose the one you enjoy the most. Don't worry about algorithms, because they all can be solved using the 15 algorithms that you'll learn with 4lll.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to improve your last layer, I'd recommend learning something called 4 look last layer (4lll). There are 15 algoroithms in total.
https://www.cubeskills.com/tutorials/4-look-last-layer
I'd recommend using these, and also making an account. Then once you feel like you're ready, learn CFOP, Petrus, ZZ and Roux and choose the one you enjoy the most. Don't worry about algorithms, because they all can be solved using the 15 algorithms that you'll learn with 4lll.

U can use this as a stepping stone before learning the 7 corner orientation
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ner-orientation-with-sune-and-antisune.47991/

draxterix

Hello,

Colleagues, help me - I'm laying the cube myself, I was able to "detect" the algorithm on the 2nd layer of corners, but sometimes I beat the pads vice versa. hint - how to improve the algorithm so that it works well?

My algorithm is like this - I set a block that I want to insert on the left edge. It's spinning like this:
RUR'U '- I blow it up
RUUR'U '- link with a 2 layer brick
RUR'U '- I put both back on again - the algorithm did not jump until it jumps properly.

It works sensational but sometimes puts a block incorrectly oriented. Tumescent. the colors are good but incorrectly oriented. Combines to improve this algorithm so that it also works on 2-way blocks. Do you have any idea?

I do not want to change the algorithm too much because it is fast and I would like to find something based on it.

darukh

recently faced this issue not able to resolve. in the second last step when you set all the yellow corners in the right spot am able to align only two in the right place. No matter how many times I follow the algorithm it's just different combinations of two yellow pieces. once the diagonal piece sets next time horizontal ones but can't get four of them to align. AM quite frustrated and fairly new to cubing( yes i have solved it before and am nt making a mistake in following the algorithm. have rechecked multiple times.
Any help is highly appreciated

darukh

here are how the corners look.

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_034340 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190929_034340 (1).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190929_034331 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190929_034331 (1).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190929_034321 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190929_034321 (1).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20190929_034352 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190929_034352 (1).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 12

GAN 356 X

Im pretty sure the cube is unsolvable in its current state, but I'm no expert. I think all you can do is take out the corners and put them back to where the should go.
Before you do this though, try this algorithm, holding the big bar on your right.
(r U R' U') (r' F R F')

the small letters mean wide turns btw

Once the yellow side is solved by doing this algorithm, use a PLL sheet to see if its a legitimate PLL, or just post an image of what it looks like. Again, I'm no expert :D

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Im pretty sure the cube is unsolvable in its current state, but I'm no expert. I think all you can do is take out the corners and put them back to where the should go.
Before you do this though, try this algorithm, holding the big bar on your right.
(r U R' U') (r' F R F')

the small letters mean wide turns btw

Once the yellow side is solved by doing this algorithm, use a PLL sheet to see if its a legitimate PLL, or just post an image of what it looks like. Again, I'm no expert :D
Couldn't it be a chameleon case though? If the second corner is facing outwards (opposite the corner we can see), turn the cube so that the yellow face is on the front, and the two wrong corners are on the down layer, and do R U R' D R U' R' D'. You should get a PLL cases, but it might not be solvable. Like Gan 356 X said, look at an alg sheet.
I don't know why you can't solve OLL though, corners being swapped shouldn't matter there. Oh well.

I have observed while making white face after white cross, if one of the white corner which is faced such that it's white face is towards the white cross, but the corner is corner is in wrong position, when I complete the white face it result in bad white face, what to do to remove the initial white corner due to which it is happening?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Pictures would help to grasp what you need help with. I think you mean if a white corner is stuck in the wrong slot, so you could have a Red Green White corner where the Red Blue White needs to go. Well, use the same algorithm you use to insert a corner to get it out. (When you use the algorithm to put in the corner, something has to go out of it as well...).

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I have observed while making white face after white cross, if one of the white corner which is faced such that it's white face is towards the white cross, but the corner is corner is in wrong position, when I complete the white face it result in bad white face, what to do to remove the initial white corner due to which it is happening?

As PetrusQueber said, you can just use the same algorithm you use to put it in

Pictures would help to grasp what you need help with. I think you mean if a white corner is stuck in the wrong slot, so you could have a Red Green White corner where the Red Blue White needs to go. Well, use the same algorithm you use to insert a corner to get it out. (When you use the algorithm to put in the corner, something has to go out of it as well...).

Thanks

Thanks
I am using these algorithm to move cubes to white cross RUR' and L'U'L
Each time when I try to move white cube towards white cross, the resultant white cube is in wrong position , do we have to keep seeing the white cube is going ro right position or not

I am using these algorithm to move cubes to white cross RUR' and L'U'L
Each time when I try to move white cube towards white cross, the resultant white cube is in wrong position , do we have to keep seeing the white cube is going ro right position or not