• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
A large percentage of people who view these threads are not members. (FYI).
That’s a fair point, I didn’t think of that at the time of writing.
And last I checked, you are not a mod. And you have only been a member here for a little over a year. So don't act like you own the place. (I'm sorry, being a post whore and choosing to host the forum awards doesn't give you the right to be a bully.)
Yes, I’m not a mod, yes I’ve only been here for a year, but why do you think that I act like I own anything? And the Forum Awards don’t have anything to do with this. I didn’t have to do it, but I helped ProStar because I wanted to do a good thing for the community.

Also, I’m not bullying anybody. From Dictionary.com:
a blustering, mean, or predatory person who, from a perceived position of relative power, intimidates, abuses, harasses, or coerces people, especially those considered unlikely to defend themselves
As far as I can see I’m have no power, I’m not trying to intimidate anybody, and I’m not abusing, harassing, or coercing anybody. I’m just a person giving my opinion.
You said your peace. Let the mods decide what to do. If they haven't moved this to that mega thread, maybe it's because they disagree with you?
Obviously, they do disagree, but I’m just saying my piece, and hoping that people see my point of view.

I am also going to add a snippet from the Forum Rules:
  • Posts that insult another member or his/her background, religion, etc.
I do feel slightly insulted by the fact that you said, and I quote, “So don't act like you own the place.” No matter what I do, whether it’s good or bad in your eyes, or anybody else’s, for that matter, is what I think is best for the community, so don’t try to make me look like the bad guy trying to dictate everybody else.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
The nice to fingertrick alg for swapping two bottom front corners is R' F R2 U' R2 F R. However that isn't relevant for beginners and I agree your alg is easier to remember.

My general purpose cuboid swap top front corners alg is A U A U2, where A is the PBL algorithm (R2 D' R2 D)2 R2. It's somewhat easy to remember but probably a lot more for me since I came up with it myself.

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is my beginner way of solving the 2x2. I taught it to my younger brother, and he can solve it in about 30-40 seconds or so. It requires eight moves consisting of two algorithms: (R U R' U') and (L’ U’ L U) which I call the right hand algorithm and the left hand algorithm. Here is how the method works.

1. Solve the first layer.

I usually teach this method starting with white, as it is what most solvers start on and is pretty easy to recognize. You first find any white piece. You hold that on the bottom. Then, you find another white corner than can go next to your bottom white corner. Hold the other white corner over the slot, and do the right hand algorithm until the white piece faces the bottom and creates a solved bar. Do this with the other two white pieces until you have a fully solved white layer. This is pretty easy to learn and I am not the first to invent it.

2. Align the top corners.

How this step works is you first find two yellow corners that are aligned. For example, a corner that is aligned would be a yellow corner that is between the blue and red "centers" (in this case to find the color of the center use the colors on the sides of the first white layers). The corner does not necessarily need to be solved (that is yellow facing up in the correct orientation) but rather can be in any twisted corner state (so three possible permutations). You may need to do U moves to find two yellow corners are in place next to their "centers." You will either have 2 or all 4 corners aligned. If you have all 4 corners aligned, this step is completed, but if you only have two corners aligned, you must align the next two. You may either have two opposite corners correct and two other opposite corners that need to swap, or you may have two adjacent corners correct, and two adjacent corners that need to swap. For more advanced solvers, you could easily solve the adjacent swap with the Y perm and the opposite swap with the T perm, but to keep this beginner friendly, this is what you do.

For opposite corners: hold the two correct corners in a bar on the left, and the corners that need to swap in a bar on the right. Then execute this algorithm 3(R U R' U') y 3(L' U' L U). (So do the right hand algorithm 3 times, rotate, and do the left hand algorithm 3 times on that same bar.) This aligns all the corners.

For adjacent corners: this is very similar to swapping opposite corners but includes one more step. First, just do the swapping algorithm from anywhere 3(R U R' U') y 3(L' U' L U). Then, after executing this, you will find that you have two opposite corners that need to be aligned. You know what to do from here, just follow the same procedure for aligning opposite corners.

Permutate Yellow Corners (Solve the Cube):

To finally solve the cube you rotate upside down so that white is on top (x2). Hold an unsolved yellow corner on your right (by unsolved I mean a corner that is not permutated correctly, e.g. without yellow facing the top/bottom. Do the right hand algorithm (R U R' U') as many times as it takes until the yellow corner goes into the bottom. This will mess up the rest of the cube, but do not worry, it will solve in the end. Then, do a D move (DO NOT ROTATE THE CUBE) to bring another unsolved yellow corner to the right. Do the right hand algorithm again until you solve the corner. Do this will all of your corners until your yellow face is solved. If you have completed this step correctly, your 2x2 cube should be solved. Do an AUF if necessary.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my beginner 2x2x2 solution (extracted from my 3x3x3 one from 2019.)

Notes:
  • If you have never solved a Rubik’s Cube (of any size) before, this solution is for you. (This solution can be even for the youngest of cubers!)
  • The purpose of this solution is to get you acquainted with following cube solving instructions and to gain confidence that you can use instructions to solve a 2x2x2.
  • If at any point the cube becomes solved, of course, STOP. But if some corner is solved which the solution did not aim to solve, ignore it. Follow the instructions, even if it messes it up!)
  • (Note to instructor: Notice that all move sequences DO NOT have any cube rotations or F and B moves. This is to allow the beginner to not get confused. Point being, when they get to the OCLL step, select algorithms which are of the same form (for consistency).)

Assuming the 2x2x2 has the Rubik's color scheme,

Top-Layer

1st Corner
Turn the cube around until the white-orange-blue corner is in the back-top-right.​
2nd Corner
Repeat L' R' D L2 R D' L' (6 times max) until the white-blue-red corner is in its solved location (whether it's twisted correctly OR NOT).​
If it is not twisted correctly,​
Repeat R' D R D' R' D R (2 times max) until it is twisted correctly.​
3rd Corner
Repeat L' D L2 D' L' D (5 times max) until the white-red-green corner is in its solved location (whether it's twisted correctly OR NOT).​
Repeat U' R' D R D' R' D R U (2 times max) until it is twisted correctly.​
4th Corner
Repeat L' D L D (4 times max) until the white-green-red corner is in its solved location (whether it's twisted correctly OR NOT).​
Repeat U2 R' D R D' R' D R U2 (2 times max) until it is twisted correctly.​

Bottom-Layer
  1. Turn the cube upside down so that it is now the bottom-half of the cube that's complete.
  2. Apply the appropriate OCLL algorithm to make the top face yellow.
  3. Turn the cube so that the red face is in front (and of course yellow is top).
5th Corner
Rotate the top (yellow) face until the yellow-green-red (top-right-front) corner is completely solved.​
6th Corner
Repeat the sequence R U' L D2 L' U L D2 L' R' (2 times max) until the yellow-red-blue (top-front-left) corner is completely solved.​
7th and 8th (Top-Back) Corners
If the cube isn't solved already, do the following sequence ONCE to complete the cube.​

Scollier

YouTube
Visit Channel

Notes:
  • If you have never solved a Rubik’s Cube (of any size) before, this solution is for you. (This solution can be even for the youngest of cubers!)
  • The purpose of this solution is to get you acquainted with following cube solving instructions and to gain confidence that you can use instructions to solve a 2x2x2.
  • If at any point the cube becomes solved, of course, STOP. But if some corner is solved which the solution did not aim to solve, ignore it. Follow the instructions, even if it messes it up!)
  • (Note to instructor: Notice that all move sequences DO NOT have any cube rotations or F and B moves. This is to allow the beginner to not get confused. Point being, when they get to the OCLL step, select algorithms which are of the same form (for consistency).)

Assuming the 2x2x2 has the Rubik's color scheme,

Top-Layer

1st Corner
Turn the cube around until the white-orange-blue corner is in the back-top-right.​
2nd Corner
Repeat L' R' D L2 R D' L' (6 times max) until the white-blue-red corner is in its solved location (whether it's twisted correctly OR NOT).​
Repeat R' D R D' R' D R (2 times max) until it is twisted correctly.​
3rd Corner
Repeat L' D L2 D' L' D (5 times max) until the white-red-green corner is in its solved location (whether it's twisted correctly OR NOT).​
Repeat U' R' D R D' R' D R U (2 times max) until it is twisted correctly.​
4th Corner
Repeat L' D L D (4 times max) until the white-green-red corner is in its solved location (whether it's twisted correctly OR NOT).​
Repeat U2 R' D R D' R' D R U2 (2 times max) until it is twisted correctly.​

Bottom-Layer
  1. Turn the cube upside down so that it is now the bottom-half of the cube that's complete.
  2. Apply the appropriate OCLL algorithm to make the top face yellow.
  3. Turn the cube so that the red face is in front (and of course yellow is top).
5th Corner
Rotate the top (yellow) face until the yellow-green-red (top-right-front) corner is completely solved.​
6th Corner
Repeat the sequence R U' L D2 L' U L D2 L' R' (2 times max) until the yellow-red-blue (top-front-left) corner is completely solved.​
7th and 8th (Top-Back) Corners
If the cube isn't solved already, do the following sequence ONCE to complete the cube.​

This is a good beginners method, and it would be easy to learn step by step by just executing that algs that are printed. But for memory, it would take a decent amount of time to memorize the algorithms, and so, with that being said, it would be difficult for a beginner to memorize all of those algs without having any past cubing experience and no triggers to help. But still, I really like your idea!

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a good beginners method, and it would be easy to learn step by step by just executing that algs that are printed. But for memory, it would take a decent amount of time to memorize the algorithms, and so, with that being said, it would be difficult for a beginner to memorize all of those algs without having any past cubing experience and no triggers to help. But still, I really like your idea!
Thanks!

Yes. The purpose of this solution is (as I've stated):

Basically, it's to just get them to solve the cube "without much commitment". As soon as they become annoyed (lose their fascination with) the solution and want to solve it by memory (and faster), then sure, other methods should be learned at that time.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last night I made a video tutorial of the method I was talking about in the post quoted from below.
I used symbolic (rather than letter) notation in the video, and I only used R, R', R2, L, L', L2, U, U', U2, and D, D', and D2 moves. (No cube rotations except for "solving the first top corner" and for turning the cube upside down when the first layer was complete.)

If anyone liked the idea of my method and would like to try it out with newcomers, well now you have a way to test its effectiveness with no expense from your end! (Or if you are a guest to this forum and don't know how to solve a cube, in my humble opinion, I think this is the video for you to get started!)

Last edited:

Scollier

YouTube
Visit Channel
Last night I made a video tutorial of the method I was talking about in the post quoted from below.
I used symbolic (rather than letter) notation in the video, and I only used R, R', R2, L, L', L2, U, U', U2, and D, D', and D2 moves. (No cube rotations except for "solving the first top corner" and for turning the cube upside down when the first layer was complete.)

If anyone liked the idea of my method and would like to try it out with newcomers, well now you have a way to test its effectiveness with no expense from your end! (Or if you are a guest to this forum and don't know how to solve a cube, in my humble opinion, I think this is the video for you to get started!)

I like how you used a virtual cube to teach. I never thought of doing that before, and now that I think of it, it's much easier to see, without lighting issues and your hands getting in the way, and it's much more hi-def. Nice video!