• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
YouTube
Visit Channel
I devised a method for beginners to solve the 2x2 without having to learn many algs. The method consist in intuitive moves and just one trigger and one simple and finger-tricky EG alg.

My intention here is not to teach an advanced method to someone that can already solve the 3x3, but spread a simple way of solving the 2x2 for kids or people that have trouble memorizing complicated algs and methods and just want the cube solved without worrying about times. Obviously, it can be extended to an advanced method afterwards.

TL;DR Teach your kids, friends or anyone else you know this simplified 2x2 method and make them have the joy of solving their first puzzle!

-Tutorial-

Algs used:

EG alg: (R U' R') (L' U L) (R U' R')
Sexy move: R U R' U'

- Step 1: Make a side

Intuitive, choose a color that is almost solved if possible

- Step 2: Permute bottom side

| When you apply the EG alg you swap two corners in the bottom layer
2.1. Skip this step if the bottom layer is solid
2.2. If you have just one bar, put the bar in the back and apply the EG alg
2.3. If you have no bars apply the EG alg and go to step 2.2

(For step 2.3 you can alternatively apply this simple alg: R2 F2 R2)

- Step 3: Orient the opposite side

First things first, you have to know which color is the "opposite side". To find this, identify the color that appears 4 times in the opposite layer. That color is the one that must be oriented

Put the layer that must be oriented facing down, and use the sexy move to point down every wrong corner in the front/right position

How to:

| Every two sexy moves applied change the orientation of the front/right corner clockwise.
After you correct one, do D moves to place another bad corner in the front/right position
Do it until all bottom corners are facing down.

- Step 4: Permute the last layer

Having one layer and the opposite side done, you have to permute the last layer. To make this put the solid layer facing up
4.1. If you have just one bar, put it the bar in the left, apply the EG move, do a D turn, and apply EG move again
4.2. If you have no bars, apply EG move, do a D2 and apply EG move again.

- Step 5: Make the last move to align both layers if necessary and...

Congratulations, you're done!

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like how people have just started completely disregarding the New Method thread.
Well, I think perhaps this being a 2x2x2 beginner method, it may be better not in that thread. Because beginners are going to be totally confused reading that thread. (With all of the acronyms. Yeah, I can see that the OP used acroymns, so I get your point in that regard.)

Maybe mega "beginner method threads" should be created where the rules are to not assume that the readers know any subsets -- and where all algs are linked to alg.cubing.net so that the audience doesn't get confused with notation. And a beginner method thread for every cube size 2x2x2 through 7x7x7. (Yeah, I know after solving a 3x3x3 and 4x4x4, you can solve any nxnxn with the help of the Niklas for the last two centers, but a big percentage of young cubers don't think that way.)

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like this method. The EG alg is pretty easy to teach/learn, and sexy is also very short. I'll definitely keep this in mind if I happen to meet a small child or other simple creatures.

I didn’t say I didn’t like it (I’m guessing that was sarcasm, correct me if I’m wrong), I just said that you shouldn’t make a completely new thread for it.
I am 100% sure that was sarcastic.

This is the presentation of a complete method. The New Method Ideas thread is fantastic and I agree with you that at least 90% of people who most threads about methods deserve to just be merged into that thread. However, this isn't an idea for development and I feel does belong in this sub forum as a simple guide to teach people how to solve 2x2.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
Well, I think perhaps this being a 2x2x2 beginner method, it may be better not in that thread. Because beginners are going to be totally confused reading that thread. (With all of the acronyms. Yeah, I can see that the OP used acroymns, so I get your point in that regard.)

I'm pretty sure this is less of a tutorial and more of an outline of a method for people to teach to beginners. (this isn't for beginners, it's for cubers to teach to beginners)

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
I'm pretty sure this is less of a tutorial and more of an outline of a method for people to teach to beginners. (this isn't for beginners, it's for cubers to teach to beginners)
That’s what I was thinking, especially because of the TL;DR:
TL;DR Teach your kids, friends or anyone else you know this simplified 2x2 method and make them have the joy of solving their first puzzle!
I guarantee that at least 99.9% of people on the forums already know how to solve a cube, so there’s really no point to directly teach someone here how to solve it.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow guys let's calm down

I'd be happy if this wouldn't be merged with the "new method" thread... I think the "how-to and tutorials" section is here for a reason, I tought it would be easy to find my "how-to and tutorial" here and even if there is a new method thread, there are other method tutorials in this section that were not merged with the mega thread. So I don't se the fuss to merge the threads, I think I'm not doing any major harm to the forums by allocating memory on the database on a different thread.

And thanks for the support by who made compliments, I put my time an effort into writing this thread, and I'm glad you guys appreciated

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I guarantee that at least 99.9% of people on the forums already know how to solve a cube, so there’s really no point to directly teach someone here how to solve it.
[/QUOTE]
you can teach non cubers if they have a 2x2 lying around

YouTube
Visit Channel
Because this should be in the New Method thread. The OP said that this method is meant not for people on the forums, but for people on the forums to teach other people.
Would you please explain why aren't you posting how these threads should be merged with the new method thread?

and so on

if you can't explain please stop being a forum nazi ;)

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
Would you please explain why aren't you posting how these threads should be merged with the new method thread?

and so on
Because 2 of them are dead, one of them was dead then got revived a couple months ago, and one of them was posted before I was active on the forums.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
A large percentage of people who view these threads are not members. (FYI).

And last I checked, you are not a mod. And you have only been a member here for a little over a year. So don't act like you own the place. (I'm sorry, being a post whore and choosing to host the forum awards doesn't give you the right to be a bully.) You said your peace. Let the mods decide what to do. If they haven't moved this to that mega thread, maybe it's because they disagree with you?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree in general with moving new concepts like these into a megathread because I believe each method should have its own discussion thread to keep things organized. Also if it is popular then it gets bumped to the top. Megathreads should be for short posts and stuff that isn't new at all (ex. 100th variant of belt method)