• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 7x7x7 Discussion

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now I am working my way to sub-10 on the 7x7 too. (My best is 10:09...) anyway, right now my centers are what makes me have a chance for the sub 10 and i orginally started off with making 1x5 lines and inserting them in. But I started to do more of a block building method where i get a 3x3 in the center and then expand that into a 3x5 and then add the last two lines on the side. It actually dropped my centers about 1-2 minutes.

So what I am trying to say is just figure out what method you think is best for you and practice and stick to it :) good luck

primecuber

WCA
2010HELM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On 5x5 i solve them either with making 3 1x1x2 blocks then making 1 1x1x3 and joining them. Or making 3 1x1x3 blocks and then joining them. but on 6x6 and 7x7 i just make the 1x1x4 and 1x1x5.
6x6 7x7

primecuber

WCA
2010HELM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On 5x5 i solve them either with making 3 1x1x2 blocks then making 1 1x1x3 and joining them. Or making 3 1x1x3 blocks and then joining them. but on 6x6 and 7x7 i just make the 1x1x4 and 1x1x5.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
I mostly make lines as well unless there's an easy block I can build. More often than not I build the block and then finish lines off of it. Sometimes I'll make an easy 2x5 on 7x7 but that's rare.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

So you first make a 1x1x5 line connecting to the middle piece of the centre colour that you intend to make, you then expand that by making other 1x1x5 blocks, is that correct? It is not clear to me that you actually immediately put the 1x1x5 block into place after you have made it. If not, then that is one thing that you will need to improve on.

If it is correct, then that is a perfectly good way of approaching the centres (I do it in most cases). In which case my tips for you would be:

1) Follow a colour order every time you solve. For example, I always start with black (or white, depending on your stickers), and then do yellow second obviously (opposite centres first is generally recommended). After that I don't have a set colour, however I would recommend that while you are still learning you pick the next colour that you will do every time. This will spare you looking around trying to decide what to do next; you can prepare immediately for the third centre, and then obviously the 4th and 5th/6th.

2) Lookahead. Yes this is obvious advice. Are you following it though?

3) Turn as fast as you can. This might make it harder to lookahead, but at least if you are turning fast with gaps between moves it is better than turning slow with gaps between moves.

4) I'm not sure about the state of your cube, but I suggest more lube (if you are practising a decent amount then you should lube at least every second week). I found this is the best way to break in a v-cube to perfection.

Just as I was typing this I noticed that your location is "Australia". I know who you are so you have no excuses :p . At the next competition in which we hold 7x7x7 you better be sub7!

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do the first 4 centers like a spiral: (colorneutral first center, then opposite center, then colorneutral third center, then 1 of the 2 adjacent centers)
- Inner centers: 1x1 (middle center) extend to 1x2, extend to 2x2, extend to 2x3, extend to 3x3 (SOMETIMES I uses lines for this part)
- Outer centers: 3x3 extend to 3x4, extend to 4x4, extend to 4x5, extend to 5x5
The spiraling can happen in any direction it doesn't follow the exact path of a normal spiral

The last 2 centers I use lines:
- middle vertical line (1x5)
- extend with an inner line on the left or right (2x5)
- extend with an outer line on the same side as the previous line (3x5)
- extend with another inner line (4x5)
- create the last line by focusing on lining up the last two "corners" with as many of the edge-center-edge in between as possible
- commutator (niklas) the last missing edge-center-edge depending on the situation

This is my general approach, but depending on the state of the cube I will choose to take advantage of lucky cases almost always to save lots of moves. Being flexible and having luck is the difference between an average solve and a great solve.

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't use lubix or Maru Lube, it'll take way too much. Use a spray silicone, like CRC. Personally, I use BSB Quiklube for my 7x7 but it's meant for things like wheel bearings, but it works good for me.
For smaller cubes I use Maru and Lubix

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't use lubix or Maru Lube, it'll take way too much. Use a spray silicone, like CRC.

How do you go about doing that, do you have to dismantle the whole thing and spray the pieces or is it good enough to pop a few pieces and try to skoosh it inside?

im strugling to get sub 10 on the 5x5 :p

How well does your cube turn? I'm a noob at 5x5 but my average went from 11mins to 7mins as soon as I did the corner mod.

Last edited: