• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Method Should I Learn in 2019?

Thread starter #21
Thanks Imam,

I perused those posts back when they were posted, but didn't dig into trying them.
HSC looks interesting, though, I think I'll check it out.

Thanks!

WCA
2016BAIR01
If you care about speed for a variety of events then cfop is great. It’s been proven to be very viable for attaining fast times for 3x3, OH, feet, and reduction on 4-7.

If you are a little more into intuition you can try out roux which has gotten a few good times but is a lot less developed. Only really good for 3x3 and OH (with lots of table abuse)

If you are just choosing a method to use for fun then the possibilities are pretty much endless :p lots of fun methods out there

Thread starter #24
For the past several months I've continued to test methods using combinations and different orders of simple substeps in order to find a method with simple steps, with <20 algs, and an avg move count around 55.

The below steps are similar to what I previously posted, but now the belt is made after corners are done.
This adds a few moves while doing the E-Layer, but prevents the 2 steps I disliked most: the possibility of parity and the permutation of E-Edges at the end of the solve.

EO - (5) Orient All 12 Edges
CO - (10) Orient All 8 Corners
CS - (3) Separate Corners to U and D by Matching Color
CP - (9) Permute Corners Both Layers
E-lyr - (11) Permute 4 E-Layer Edges
DL/DR - (7) Permute 2 L/R Edges on D + centers
UL/UR - (6) Permute 2 L/R Edges on U
EP(m) - (4) Permute Midges
------
55 ! (or fewer)

I'm sure a solver more advanced than me could consistently get solves of sub-50 moves with better corner solving and L8E efficiency.

My notes are here and I may continue to update this doc and then perhaps make a graphical version.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wpKVpj1nicXLwWCRuqhaUHAirhQ1c_u8mRwEPja-HDE

I know there aren't new breakthroughs here, but I’m satisfied with it and now just want to get faster using it.
I'm open to feedback if anyone wants to comment,

thanks,
-= Solvador Cubi

Thread starter #25
I converted the text descriptions of these 8 steps into graphical PDFs at this URL: http://tinyurl.com/solvexio
Look for the files named: "EoCol8"

There is a concise 1-page version with algs and examples
and a 2-page version with more details about: Edge Orientation, Corner Separation and E-Layer Permutation

The method on these sheets keeps the alg-count low, so some steps are longer than optimal.
But I'm still consistently getting a 55 move average using the steps shown in the doc.

Again, I think that someone using more algorithms and/or more advanced techniques, could have optimized solves averaging moves in the mid-40s if...
...for example...
All 8 corners can be oriented and permuted using 17-18 moves (instead of 22)
The 4 E-layer edges can be permuted using 8-9 moves (instead of 11)
Last 8 Edges (and centers) can be permuted using 14-15 moves (instead of 18)

or if any steps can be combined
EO + Orient 2 DL corners... then Sortega
or permute L6E at the same time
etc.

Let me know if the doc's diagrams and descriptions make sense or if I could explain any parts of it in a better way.

thanks!
-= Solvador Cubi

(and thanks again to @WoowyBaby for triggering in me the inspiration to work on a method with steps like these)

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzgIKWl
I converted the text descriptions of these 8 steps into graphical PDFs at this URL: http://tinyurl.com/solvexio
Look for the files named: "EoCol8"

There is a concise 1-page version with algs and examples
and a 2-page version with more details about: Edge Orientation, Corner Separation and E-Layer Permutation

The method on these sheets keeps the alg-count low, so some steps are longer than optimal.
But I'm still consistently getting a 55 move average using the steps shown in the doc.

Again, I think that someone using more algorithms and/or more advanced techniques, could have optimized solves averaging moves in the mid-40s if...
...for example...
All 8 corners can be oriented and permuted using 17-18 moves (instead of 22)
The 4 E-layer edges can be permuted using 8-9 moves (instead of 11)
Last 8 Edges (and centers) can be permuted using 14-15 moves (instead of 18)

or if any steps can be combined
EO + Orient 2 DL corners... then Sortega
or permute L6E at the same time
etc.

Let me know if the doc's diagrams and descriptions make sense or if I could explain any parts of it in a better way.

thanks!
-= Solvador Cubi

(and thanks again to @WoowyBaby for triggering in me the inspiration to work on a method with steps like these)
Wow, I looked at your documents and it looked like it took a lot of work, good job! And I'm glad I'm inspirational for you :D

Last edited: