• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What was your first competition like?

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
This is a thread for you to talk about your first competition experience.

At my first comp(Puzzling Pakenham 2019), I was extremely nervous. When I went up for my first solve I was shaking so much I think I got like 45 seconds or something. I got a DNF when I forgot to start the timer too. It was still heaps of fun though.

Today, I am much faster and looking forward to my second comp; Melbourne Summer 2020. I’m really excited cause I know 3 people going. Hopefully I might make second round for something.

Nathanael

WCA
2019ROBE21
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first competiton was also today (It was the Sydney Open). I really did love it! I got really down when I got bad solves ( I got a 17.56 and a 15.67 for 2x2 and a 34.87 for 3x3 which is nowhere near close to my regular times) but the one thing that did make my day was that Feliks Zemdegs was my judge for 3x3 and for him I got a 21.46!!! Obviously Feliks has magical cubing powers that he gives to the people he judges!!!

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On my first cube competition (Colorado Springs Open 2015), I was amazed on how many people could solve cubes like me and how many had amazing big cubes. I just competed in 2x2 and got an 18 second average, and I accidentally reset one of my solves, so it was a DNF. I’ve now been to 8 competitions and I average 4 on 2x2.

GAN 356 X

I averaged 3 seconds better, made 2 friends and judged Feliks and Jack a few times, and Feliks also judged me on my 2.98 2x2 single. He certainly does bring good luck
My first competiton was also today (It was the Sydney Open). I really did love it! I got really down when I got bad solves ( I got a 17.56 and a 15.67 for 2x2 and a 34.87 for 3x3 which is nowhere near close to my regular times) but the one thing that did make my day was that Feliks Zemdegs was my judge for 3x3 and for him I got a 21.46!!! Obviously Feliks has magical cubing powers that he gives to the people he judges!!!

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
Awesome! I hope I get to meet Feliks Zemdegs at Melbourne Summer.

Fredrick

My first comp was back in September (Swiss Science Open 2019). I went there with my best friend who was actually the one who got me into cubing. It was super fun though I only competed in two events. I managed to make it to second round barely. I don’t remember which solve but one of them midway I knew it would be a bad time so when I put the cube down I went for the timer but It didn’t stop. If it wasn’t for my friends it would’ve been a 40 second solve. Though I had fun and met some new people and. It was really worth it. The nerves aren’t worth it. So for my second competition I used them to help me get a near Pb average.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
My first comp was in June this year. It was Minnesota Qualifier 2019. It had about 110 competitiors. The top 60 made it to round 2 for 3x3. That was my main goal. I finished 3x3 round 1 with a 25 average. I was sitting in 59th place with 6 people's results left to put in. Then, all of them beat me. I ended in 65th place. I was disappointed, but I met a lot of amazing people at the comp. (Matt Moore/Luke Moore, let me know if you read this!) I definitely recommend going to as many comps as you can if you get the opportunity!!!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don’t we all? I did better than I thought at my first competition, I was expecting a high 21 average due to nerves, and all I expected out of OH was a sub 35 average. I got to judge a lot of people as well, like George Scholey and Chris Mills. The most notable experience there was probably during the first round of 3BLD, there was a brief explanation of how to judge for BLD events for first timers, but I didn’t go (I thought I knew what to do), along with some other people. Then the round started, and I was waiting to judge someone, so I settled to watch an attempt, which was judged by this kid. Apparently, the kid had never judged BLD before, and he was trying to do it the standard way, while the competitor was like ’Err, this is Blindfolded?’, following an awkward silence. Then one of the Delegates had to come over and explained to the kid how the judging system worked.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
My first comp was in June this year. It was Minnesota Qualifier 2019. It had about 110 competitiors. The top 60 made it to round 2 for 3x3. That was my main goal. I finished 3x3 round 1 with a 25 average. I was sitting in 59th place with 6 people's results left to put in. Then, all of them beat me. I ended in 65th place. I was disappointed, but I met a lot of amazing people at the comp. (Matt Moore/Luke Moore, let me know if you read this!) I definitely recommend going to as many comps as you can if you get the opportunity!!!
Also, I remember waiting for OH results to come out so I could see if I had made it to the finals. I literally missed it by 1 place, and I probably would’ve made it if it hadn’t been for a DNF on my last solve by using two hands. :/

I also recall judging this guy for BLD, and a few seconds into memo, I realised he hadn’t actually started the timer (an entire 1 second freeze for stackmat really gets on your nerves sometimes), and I felt really bad having to give him a DNF.