• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

Zarxrax

I don't like megaminx because it feels weird to hold and turn. I recently got a 5x5 and I'm really loving it. I enjoy it much more than 4x4, and it's a little easier to learn, in my opinion.

GAN 356 X

I don't like megaminx because it feels weird to hold and turn. I recently got a 5x5 and I'm really loving it. I enjoy it much more than 4x4, and it's a little easier to learn, in my opinion.
I like 4x4 more than 5x5, largely because my 5x5 is mediocre (Huanglong 5x5). If I invested in a better 5x5 I think the 2 events would be tied in how much I like them. Pyraminx is also very fun and can be solved intuitively. I also recommend getting into one handed solving which is also very fun, and is very rewarding if you are an efficient solver unlike myself :D

Zarxrax

I like 4x4 more than 5x5, largely because my 5x5 is mediocre (Huanglong 5x5). If I invested in a better 5x5 I think the 2 events would be tied in how much I like them. Pyraminx is also very fun and can be solved intuitively. I also recommend getting into one handed solving which is also very fun, and is very rewarding if you are an efficient solver unlike myself :D

Come to think of it, that's probably why I don't really like the 4x4. My only 4x4 cubes were from years ago (eastsheen and x-cube) and they don't turn well at all. My little magic 5x5 turns way better than those old cubes, so that's probably why I was finally able to start enjoying a larger cube. I should probably try buying a newer 4x4 and see how I like it now.

GAN 356 X

Come to think of it, that's probably why I don't really like the 4x4. My only 4x4 cubes were from years ago (eastsheen and x-cube) and they don't turn well at all. My little magic 5x5 turns way better than those old cubes, so that's probably why I was finally able to start enjoying a larger cube. I should probably try buying a newer 4x4 and see how I like it now.
I'm thinking of ordering an MGC 5x5 after hearing all the good reviews and thoroughly enjoying the MGC 6x6

Dc3032

I'm thinking of ordering an MGC 5x5 after hearing all the good reviews and thoroughly enjoying the MGC 6x6
What’s the best 5x5 cube regardless of price?
What’s the best “value” 5x5 (ie price vs performance)?

Magnetic is a must tho.

I’m willing to spend a little extra if it will get me a better cube. I made the mistake w 3x3 of buying a low-end speedcube because I didn’t want to spend a lot until I knew I’d stick with it. Ended up just caving and buying the GTS3M a week later so I ended up wasting $ on the cheap one. Don’t want to repeat that mistake now that I know I’ll stick with it.

icarneiro

Recently, I am practicing a lot of 4x4, I started 2 months ago, and my average is 1:05~1:12.
My 3x3 avarage is 16~17s, i guess i can beat sub-1 min avarage.

My method is Yau, with that order:

-> White/Yellow or Yellow/White centers.
-> First 3 edges cross (only white edges)
-> Last 4 centers (I don't do half centers)
-> Rotate to make the last white edge
-> 3-2-3 edge pairing
-> 3x3 CFOP.

In my perception, the step that I spend the most time on is the first 3 white edges, the rest I feel I do quickly.

I want to improve in the correct way, so...

What should I learn next to improve?
Keep practicing that way until I beat sub-1 min average?
Watch solves example videos?
Learn new ways to make the first 3 white edges?
Learn advanced algs for the last 2 edges in edge pairing?
Do I have to make the white last edge without rotating?
What is your advices?

Thank you.

GAN 356 X

Recently, I am practicing a lot of 4x4, I started 2 months ago, and my average is 1:05~1:12.
My 3x3 avarage is 16~17s, i guess i can beat sub-1 min avarage.

My method is Yau, with that order:

-> White/Yellow or Yellow/White centers.
-> First 3 edges cross (only white edges)
-> Last 4 centers (I don't do half centers)
-> Rotate to make the last white edge
-> 3-2-3 edge pairing
-> 3x3 CFOP.

In my perception, the step that I spend the most time on is the first 3 white edges, the rest I feel I do quickly.

I want to improve in the correct way, so...

What should I learn next to improve?
Keep practicing that way until I beat sub-1 min average?
Watch solves example videos?
Learn new ways to make the first 3 white edges?
Learn advanced algs for the last 2 edges in edge pairing?
Do I have to make the white last edge without rotating?
What is your advices?

Thank you.

I am at the same stage as you inn both 3x3 and 4x4, except that its my first edges that need improvement.

Sneakykicker

So I know full OLL and PLL, and I'm wondering specific things I can learn and practice with F2L. Thanks!

BobTaco

I was wondering what to learn after your beginner methods on blind 3, skewb, and square-1. I haven't really even attempted these events yet and have no clue where to head after the basics. Methods? Additional algs? Everything to continue improving to the intermediate and advanced levels in the respective events.

BobTaco

For 3BLD start with Old Pochman. J Perm has a great tutorial on it. After comfortable with Old Pochman, switch to M2 for edges. There's more after that, but a lot of people stop at M2.
What about things like orcozo or 3 style? Things like that. How do I choose what next?

BobTaco

After M2, if you want to you can switch to Orozco, then transition into 3-style. If you don't know BLD yet though, just start with Old Pochman.
Definitely will start with old pechman. I just like seeing everything in front of me and also looking at a lot of the theory into different things because I am am a giant nerd who likes puzzles and math.