• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am just finishing up full oll, and I want to learn coll after that, but beyond that can somebody tell me what cfop subsets there are, what they do, and what order I should learn them in. I have lots of time to learn algs this summer so any help recommending what to learn is appreciated. Thanks!
This is totally bias bc I created this subset, but I suggest you learn KALL. If you want to learn it you can read about it on the wiki.

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
I'm also averaging 15 with full OLL and PLL, and I am pretty sure Cross+F2L improvement is key to progress from there.

Thank you.;) Also, ELL could be a useful subset to learn. I am planning on learning it in the near future along with winter variation.
Winter variation doesn't guarentee ELL because the corners aren't permuted.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am just finishing up full oll, and I want to learn coll after that, but beyond that can somebody tell me what cfop subsets there are, what they do, and what order I should learn them in. I have lots of time to learn algs this summer so any help recommending what to learn is appreciated. Thanks!
If you know full OLL and PLL. FOCUS ON F2L FIRST before learning other alg sets. That is where you will improve the most. Also make sure your OLL and PLL are optimised beofre learning more LL algs. Also COLL EPLL is slower than OLL PLL. Really ZBLL or VLS is what you should learn after OLL and PLL but those should wait till you average sub 9.

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
If you know full OLL and PLL. FOCUS ON F2L FIRST before learning other alg sets. That is where you will improve the most. Also make sure your OLL and PLL are optimised beofre learning more LL algs. Also COLL EPLL is slower than OLL PLL. Really ZBLL or VLS is what you should learn after OLL and PLL but those should wait till you average sub 9.

I agree that focussing on F2L is important, but you should ALWAYS focus on F2L as a CFOP solver.
There's no need to wait with any subset, just know that benefits from ZBLL are minimal and focussing on other stuff will get you faster sooner.
ZBLL takes a long time to get proficient with, if you wanna learn it go ahead because it takes a lot of time to get good with.

LL skip

Yesterday I finally learned all PLLs, and I have a doubt: OLL or VHLS? I know VHLS is slower, but it's very easier. Anyone help me?

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
VHLS is not that interesting (unless you use ZBLL or something) learn some basic edge control to avoid dot cases if you want to, but learning OLL is definetly better. T-cases are better than the cases where the edges are oriented with the exception of sune and anti-sune. so EO isn't that imortant unless you use other things as well.

LL skip

I recently learned all PLLs. Now I'm in doubt: Do I train my F2L or learn full OLL? And, if I should train F2L, would it be good if I already learn look ahead?
Note: I learned things in this order:
1. Layer method;
2. (after arriving in a minute and ten) Intuitive F2L;
3. 2LOLL;
4. PLL.
My average is 32 seconds.

I recently learned all PLLs. Now I'm in doubt: Do I train my F2L or learn full OLL? And, if I should train F2L, would it be good if I already learn to look ahead?
Note: I learned things in this order:
1. Layer method;
2. (after arriving in a minute and ten) Intuitive F2L;
3. 2LOLL;
4. PLL.
My average is 32 seconds.
That's not a problem but you need to learn how to become color neutral and after trying to learn the OLL full keep yourself on the sub 25.
Remember that OLL is for reducing time to 2 -5 seconds only. Keep doing the Cubing! If you have any doubt ask me or reply to this.

CFOPBeginner

I ao5 1:55 ish I use later by later an intuitive f2l cube is gans 356x. PB 1:17.?? How should I go about learning 4lll

BMcD308

You are about where I am, so when someone with more experience chimes in, take their advice, not mine.
Learn any simple OLL/PLL system first, like badmephisto. That way as you learn new algs you can still complete the solve using your old method.
4 look last layer is 1 EOLL, 2 COLL, 3 CPLL, 4 EPLL.

You likely already know EOLL (yellow cross). So you are 25% of the way there, and you haven't even started.

For COLL you have to learn the 7 Corner Orientation algs, and you will have 2-Look OLL done. You probably already know at least one of these, since whatever method you are using to solve the cube now results in all the yellow stickers facing the same direction.

For CPLL, if you know any alg to permute the last layer corners, you can learn more of those, and just use the one you know already if you don't happen to get one of the new cases you have learned. Eventually you will know clockwise 3 cycle, counterclockwise 3 cycle, and E-Perm.

Now all you have to do is EPLL. Again, you likely already know some type of 3 cycle alg. So 3 more algs will give you 3-cycles each direction, H perm, and Z perm.

Also watch

Last edited: