• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the best lubricant? [poll]

What is the best lubricant?

• Lubix

Votes: 121 36.7%
  • Maru

Votes: 47 14.2%
  • Z-Lube

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • Traxxas 50K

Votes: 71 21.5%
  • Traxxas 30K

Votes: 30 9.1%
  • Polish

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jig-a-Loo

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • CRC Silicone Spray

Votes: 32 9.7%

• Total voters

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you think is the best lubricant out there? Vote in the poll and/or post. If I've missed one, just post and I'll ask a mod to add it to the poll. I've left out Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly for obvious reasons.

Base your answer on:
  • Cost
  • Avalibility
  • How long it lasts
  • After effects

(I know about threads vaguely simular to this, but they don't have a poll.)

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I keep coming back to Maru Lube, it's cheap, and super easy to put in... unlike other lubes I never take a pieces out, I just pop a couple of drops in the U layer center piece corner gaps. I'll do that maybe once a week or so and never pay much attention to it. Easy and convenient.
I do still like Lubix in the core and on the screws though.

NOLAcuber

I have only tired diff oil and spray silicone but I have only had to lube once in 3 months with the diff oil and do well over 40 solves a day.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lubix, it is as expensive as hell but last a lifetime and is super fast.

Next would be shock oil because it is cheap. It is not as fast and it wares out fast.

Maru lube is after that because it is super fast but does not last any time.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ive only use Lubix so thats my answer.
Cost- Expensive for the little amount of lube that it brings.
Availablity- I have no idea. Seems like its always available.
Long it lasts- I lube my cube, maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks and I use very little. Ive had it since October(?) and still using it.
After effects- Gumy. So gumy. But once that goes away, its perfect.

Sarahjdes

I'm using Traxxas (I think it's the 50k one, but I'm not really sure) right now, and I love it. I feel like the bottle will last forever, plus it was really cheap. I think that I paid about 10$ overall (including shipping), and some silicone spray like Jig-a-loo was like 8$ at Canadian Tire...

d4m4s74

WCA
2009ZALI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just use lubix. Before that I used Griffon Silicon Spray which kind of sucked. Had to relube like every day.
Tried maru lube in my 4x4x4, but it didn't seem to do much. I might have used too little though.

TheSixSquares

Defiantly Traxxas! even though its only available on speedcubeshop.com, its the same thing as lubix buy soooooooooo cheap, 7.99 for 30k!!!!!

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I find a combination of Traxxas 50K and CRC Food Grade Silicone spray work best. I only use Traxxas for my 3×3×3s, and that too just a little in the core. But it makes a huge difference. Then I lube the pieces with the CRC. What I usually do is remove three pieces and spray all three, then work the lube in. It's a bit sticky at first, but then it becomes amazing. I've tried the "quick method" – removing 1 piece, spraying inside and working it in, but it just didn't get enough lubricant on all the pieces. One face would turn a lot easier than another.

My 4×4×4, 5×5×5, and 2×2×2, all are lubed with CRC Food Grade. Please note, I use CRC Food Grade Silicone! I've tried CRC Heavy Duty and had nothing but trouble. It ruined my AV.

As for Lubix, I can't really judge because I don't own any. I did try out a friend's GuHong and it felt pretty good, to be honest. Maybe not as good as my lubrication method, but still, it felt epic.

Last edited:

scrubofcubes

ok, i just lubricated it using the method that cyoubx uses in his silicube review, and this is amazing. silicube needs to be added to this list.