• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tired of Guhongs and Zhanchi's! Other good cubes available?

vincent80000

Hi, I have went through Guhongs, and Zhanchi's, but I still haven't got my perfect cube. I tried the Lubix Zhanchi and Lubix Guhong and they didn't work out. The problem is that my Dayan cubes are very easy to get dirty, and it limits its ability. I just feel the Dayans lose speed and performance after a few months or weeks. Another thing that happens is that after a little wear and tear, the cub suddenly locks-up, and you don't know from where exactly. I think this is because of the multile part pieces. Has this ever happened to you? I don't know what it is, but I'm tired of Dayans know because dirt and other dirty debris gets stuck in between the two-piece edges, and the three piece corners. Know what I'm talking about? I'm looking for a good cube preferably something really smooth and crispy, you know, the clicky feeling, or maybe you have some other suggestions for me, please feel free to give me suggestions. I 'm also wondering if anyone else has run into this problem, please let me know if you have. Thanks very much! And Happy Cubing!!!

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a Type C. A white core with black pieces. And black centre caps.
I like it. I find the black and white cubes have very different feelings... My black was was crispy clicky and kept exploding. My white was very much the opposite.
However I have never tried a dayan so I can't compare.

vincent80000

I use a Type C. A white core with black pieces. And black centre caps.
I like it. I find the black and white cubes have very different feelings... My black was was crispy clicky and kept exploding. My white was very much the opposite.
However I have never tried a dayan so I can't compare.

I'm curious, could you tell me exactly how you got it, and the exact type it is? Do you get it with the white core? I just wanted t make sure if I got something like this, it would be exactly what you said.Also, do you like black more or white more, because I didn't really understand when you sad more clicky but exploded. If you can't provide me with the info, that's fine. Thanks

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Puzl.co.uk. The only place I can get stuff (UK), and with super fast (once 48 hours) delivery, for me at least because I live in the UK
I bought one white type C and one black one. My black one started exploding so I swapped cores.

However, I'm sure people with an extensive collection of cubes will tell you otherwise, and their opinion is probably better than mine, simply because they have mire cubes than me.

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel
Unless you live underground I see no possibility of dirt buildup in a weeks time. The only cube that gets really bad over time is the F-II, where it feels like it clicks and gets stuck in strange positions. You could replace the dayan cores with Alpha.

For other cubes i guess the A5 is okay...

vincent80000

Unless you live underground I see no possibility of dirt buildup in a weeks time. The only cube that gets really bad over time is the F-II, where it feels like it clicks and gets stuck in strange positions. You could replace the dayan cores with Alpha.

For other cubes i guess the A5 is okay...

I don't know what it is, but there is like debris inside the spot where the two edge stocks snap together, and there is like stuff in there. I don't know what it is. I mean, I take pretty good care of my cubes, so I don't think it's because I'm dirty.

vincent80000

Puzl.co.uk. The only place I can get stuff (UK), and with super fast (once 48 hours) delivery, for me at least because I live in the UK
I bought one white type C and one black one. My black one started exploding so I swapped cores.

However, I'm sure people with an extensive collection of cubes will tell you otherwise, and their opinion is probably better than mine, simply because they have mire cubes than me.

Ok, thanks. I'll check out that website.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well the Type C certainly doesn't have multiple parts...

Edit: Ok. Not much variety :(
They don't even sell Dayan cubes =(

But their Type C is pretty good.

vincent80000

Well the Type C certainly doesn't have multiple parts...

Edit: Ok. Not much variety :(
They don't even sell Dayan cubes =(

But their Type C is pretty good.
Yeah, I think I might order that cube. I looked and there are two versions. Did you get the 8.99 version with stickers, or the 9.99? Oh, and I live in Cali, US so it might take long to ship, but it'll probably be worth it... I'm gonna hold that thought though.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With stickers...
I don't trust them to tension it right or sticker it.
Get the cheaper one and sticker it yourself :)

Edit: warning; I have not got any other cubes but a storebought; so I dont have much to compare against. Still, I like it, so yeah, go get it if you think it'll be good.

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know what it is, but there is like debris inside the spot where the two edge stocks snap together, and there is like stuff in there. I don't know what it is. I mean, I take pretty good care of my cubes, so I don't think it's because I'm dirty.

Dry lube or maybe shavings from when/if it was modified. It should be easy to clean out.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've heard lubix+maru was a good combination.
I personally use either diff oil or no lube; the latter currently.

Yeah, clean out your cube first to see if it's usable, but either way, it's nice to have another cube either way :)

Edit: yeah, exactly. They are one piece each so they are 'clean'.

vincent80000

I've heard lubix+maru was a good combination.
I personally use either diff oil or no lube; the latter currently.

Yeah, clean out your cube first to see if it's usable, but either way, it's nice to have another cube either way :)

Edit: yeah, exactly. They are one piece each so they are 'clean'.
The thing is, I cleaned it out already. I actually took it all apart,cleaned it very thoroughly and yet, a little time later, whatever that stuff is, appears again.

vincent80000

I mean, the cube is still usable, it's just that I would love to try a cube with the same old storebought feeling. The Dayans feel very different formthe one piece cubes. YOu can feel the huge difference when you turn it. Maybe one day you should try turning a Dayan cube. I just prefer the one piece feeling rather than the multiple piece feeling now.

chrissyD

WCA
2009DICK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i think you become used to the speed and feel of a cube after a while. My guhong dosen't feel as good as it used to be but i think thats just me. For instance the cube actually feels faster first thing in the morning and feels quite slow later in the day but I don't think that's the cubes fault just the fact i've gotten used to the cube and my hands become too lazy to turn the cube. Maybe use a different cube (regular zhanchi?) for a month or two then come back to the dayans.