• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed sometimes people announce that they're quitting or taking a break or are back or intend to change or something like that. Last time I said I might create a common thread for that, so here it is. Please no hate if someone posts his own thread instead of in here, this thread is just an offer for people like me who would like to announce something like this but feel more comfortable doing it in a shared thread rather than creating their own personal one.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright...

I quit

No, not cubing, don't be silly. I quit my job. Not at all an easy decision, but after a long struggle I decided I need the time more than the money. Starting September 1, I'm taking a break to work off stuff that has accumulated over my life and is dragging me down, to work on my own projects, to learn new things, and to find out how I want to continue my life. For example learning Ruby on Rails and Flash and building cubing websites and tutorials with them that I've been wanting to do for a long time. Though it's not just for cubing, it'll hopefully also help me catch up with current technologies and be better for my future jobs.

I'll change

No more bickering. I've been for a long time wanting to stop it and I like to think that I partly reduced it, but now I'm really serious. Waste of time, especially when I try to correct stuff, which can be very time-consuming. I'm idealistic, but I can't stop it anyway, and I'd better spend my time in purely constructive ways. And yeah, sometimes I'm wrong and then it's embarrassing. And maybe I'll make more friends if I don't affront everyone. And maybe I can become a good example for others. Cause I'm by far not the only one bickering way too much here.

Last edited:

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I quit:

I quit making daily, pointless, crappy, useless videos on YouTube. YouTube is a place for people to post whatever videos that want and share them with the world. And from those videos, you start to judge someone. Whether it is justified or not, you begin to think of Person X as someone who is dumb, and Person Y is a great comedian etc. And I do not want to be known (as I mostly already am) as a YouTube whore (hopefully that's allowed on the forums) who only makes videos for subscribers, money, and the honor and glory, and not for my love of cubing.
I love cubing much more then I love YouTube, but I let it get out of hand, and so I am quitting the pointless videos, and only making videos that are interesting and that I believe to be worth people's time. I want to ramble less, and stay on topic, and make sure I know what, and how to talk about what I want to talk about, before actually recording. Editing is a must.

I'll Change:

I'll change my outlook and opinion on Youtube, cubing, and the members of both the cubing, and Youtube community. I am going to go to cubing competitions because I love cubing, and because I like meeting people who share the same hobby as me, not to win. Winning is nice, but not my main objective.

I'll Change:

My completely defensive attitude when responding the comments, messages, posts etc. I have this attitude where I have to defend myself from everyone and everything who attacks me/points something out that I did wrong because I have made stupid decisions, and been attacked so much for them that I feel the need to retreat into my shell of self-worth.
I will stop reacting in such ways to this, and try to look at what the person is saying from all different points of view, not just the "he is attacking me, and I have to stop him" view.

So that's mine.

Gurplex

Banned
Stephan, you remind me of Dr.Cox from Scrubs!:p... I wanted to say that for a long time, hahha. Maybe its because you're not afraid of confronting people and 95% of the time you're right, idk lol.

anyway. Good luck on your future and I hope to see you as a mod again. People m- *COUGH*, People may not like you but you did your job really well! you really kept things in order.

blah

brah
Wait... huh?! Just because you're gonna stop bickering doesn't mean you can't be a mod anymore! :confused:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I RETURN
for now. I'm still in South Africa, but I have internet connection, so I might as well contribute to this forum a little while I'm here.
The funeral was yesterday, and went well (as far as funerals go, anyway).
I depart back to South Africa on the 13'th, and then have school ~2 weeks later.

The computers available are really old, and I have worse-than-dial-up connection (at times, 4kB/s), and so I've decided to look for an OS to run off of a CD or my jump drive that I can use in order to ...avoid....the crappy specs. I was thinking DSL, but even that (50MB) would take a good while to d/l. Any suggestions on this search would be greatly appreciated.

Thankfully, for now, I have portable Chrome on my jumpdrive, which is nice.

As far as cubing goes, I'll be doing a good bit less of that for a little while. While the people here somewhat support the whole cubing thing, I know that the sounds are annoying. However, I do plan to learn 4x4BLD while here, but the tutorial should be text-based, because of the bad connection.

So, yeah, I'm kinda back, and would be even more back if I had a better OS. :/
Please. Suggestions.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Stephan, you remind me of Dr.Cox from Scrubs!:p... I wanted to say that for a long time, hahha. Maybe its because you're not afraid of confronting people and 95% of the time you're right, idk lol.

anyway. Good luck on your future and I hope to see you as a mod again. People m- *COUGH*, People may not like you but you did your job really well! you really kept things in order.
First proof that Stefan is actually changing. In the past he would have
*) gone through all his posts
*) calculated how often he was right, if he really was wrong ever ;) and find some way to account for "almost accurate, but not 100%" situations
*) Either post "I was right 97,32% of the time" OR ask "Can you tell me how you got to 95%? Did you base it on something (if so, you are wrong it is 97.32%) or did you just make up some numbers to make you look more intelligent?"
;)

Seriously Stefan, I have noticed you toned down quite a bit lately without losing your "improve the world one stupid person at a time" mentality.

I applaud you for taking your future so serious but I also wonder if you couldn't have asked your employer for training time/budget.

I return: To doing everything I can in the weekly competition....as soon as I will be home (and awake) again for > 30 minutes

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But without you who else is going to beat up all the morons around here? I mean I would, but I barely read any threads these days. I just happen to open one occasionally (usually if I see that someone that I consider to make posts that are worth my time reading has posted most recently in the thread), see something stupid that someone said, and they become my unfortunate target.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
First proof that Stefan is actually changing. In the past he would have
*) gone through all his posts
*) calculated how often he was right, if he really was wrong ever ;) and find some way to account for "almost accurate, but not 100%" situations
*) Either post "I was right 97,32% of the time" OR ask "Can you tell me how you got to 95%? Did you base it on something (if so, you are wrong it is 97.32%) or did you just make up some numbers to make you look more intelligent?"
;)

That was fun to read.

I quit learning Roux until Nationals.

I'll change to Roux when Nationals is over.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I pause FMC and pyraminx because it's too time consuming and there aren't any competitions with it anytime soon.
I'll change to Petrus some time eventually, maybe right after CT this weekend.
I return to OH and BLD until CT this weekend when I will get my official solves and pause again.