• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stickerless vs Stickered

Which do you use?

• Stickered

Votes: 100 29.9%
  • Stickerless

Votes: 235 70.1%

• Total voters

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, I actually have a legit question. What are the pros and cons of stickerless and stickered?
I’m thinking of getting a Dayan Tengyun V2 M, and originally I was going to get stickerless like I’d always done, but thenI looked at the stickered version, and I was like... I really don’t know now.
Since I haven’t used a recent stickered cube in forever, how easily do the stickers chip/peel nowadays? Are they on centre with the pieces? Are they good quality?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
You know, I’m actually leaning towards stickered, since
a. If I don’t like the shades, I can replace them
b. Stickerless is way more generic now, and not a lot of people use stickered anymore
c. If I scratch the cube, the scratch will be on the sticker, and I can just replace the sticker (and if it goes into the cube, the new sticker will cover it)
d. To contrast my collection of all stickerless

teh yoshi

b. Stickerless is way more generic now, and not a lot of people use stickered anymore
c. If I scratch the cube, the scratch will be on the sticker, and I can just replace the sticker (and if it goes into the cube, the new sticker will cover it)
Yeah, you kinda hit the nail on the head here. Lots of people will jump on the whole stickerless train without acknowledging the different needs for people that stickerless actually doesn't provide. Another big one is that some forms of colorblindness can affect how you recognize the shades, and you have no control over the shades on stickerless puzzles.

Honestly, it's mostly about preference. I love both stickered and stickerless, and I tend to get any puzzle in both when I can. I usually like to go out and practice with stickered puzzles because it looks cooler to the general non-cubing public, but I'll probably use stickerless at home. It just depends on my mood.

EvanTheCuber

Im Getting the Dayan Tengyun V2 M(Already Preordered on Speed Cube Shop.) But after having a GAN Air SM, On the Whiteside, the White and Green Block became literally a black and green block. The Logo is literally disappeared, and it looks dirty. But then I bought the X, it looks brand new. Honestly, I recommend Stickerless. Which I am getting for my Tengyun V2.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Im Getting the Dayan Tengyun V2 M(Already Preordered on Speed Cube Shop.) But after having a GAN Air SM, On the Whiteside, the White and Green Block became literally a black and green block. The Logo is literally disappeared, and it looks dirty. But then I bought the X, it looks brand new. Honestly, I recommend Stickerless. Which I am getting for my Tengyun V2.
Also Evan, everytime I look at your post I feel like you’re slightly annoyed, because the roll eye in your signature really stands out, and my subconscious processes that lol.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Ok, I actually have a legit question. What are the pros and cons of stickerless and stickered?
I’m thinking of getting a Dayan Tengyun V2 M, and originally I was going to get stickerless like I’d always done, but thenI looked at the stickered version, and I was like... I really don’t know now.
Since I haven’t used a recent stickered cube in forever, how easily do the stickers chip/peel nowadays? Are they on centre with the pieces? Are they good quality?

Pure preference, whatever looks better to you

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
My $0.02 is that a stickered puzzle has more versatility and life to give a long time down the road. For instance, I recently made an old Ghost hand cube into a sticker mod w/ (6) slightly different shades of blue...that’s not a great puzzle but its better and more intriguing than just a poorly turning 3x3 on my shelf I’ll never use again. I plan to put some Sudoku stickers on other relics I have back from when V-Cubes were all the rage.

I’m also obsessed with sticker shades and feel like it’s a gamble when ordering a stickerless puzzle. Adding your own with stickers is fun!...for some of us. It’s all preference.

EvanTheCuber

Also Evan, everytime I look at your post I feel like you’re slightly annoyed, because the roll eye in your signature really stands out, and my subconscious processes that lol.
Lol I am not annoyed seriously. Its just very surprising how my pb is like 17 seconds less than my average.:p

Edit: should I change my signature?

EvanTheCuber

Cube stickers get chipped very easily nowadays. For me at least.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Lol I am not annoyed seriously. Its just very surprising how my pb is like 17 seconds less than my average.:p

Edit: should I change my signature?

I can't speak for Petrus, but for me it always catches my eye and makes me think that you put a roll eyes at the end of a post, then I realize it's just your signature. For me personally, it's not really a big deal, just something I notice almost everyone time I see one of your posts

Jchap808

Yeah, you kinda hit the nail on the head here. Lots of people will jump on the whole stickerless train without acknowledging the different needs for people that stickerless actually doesn't provide. Another big one is that some forms of colorblindness can affect how you recognize the shades, and you have no control over the shades on stickerless puzzles.

Honestly, it's mostly about preference. I love both stickered and stickerless, and I tend to get any puzzle in both when I can. I usually like to go out and practice with stickered puzzles because it looks cooler to the general non-cubing public, but I'll probably use stickerless at home. It just depends on my mood.

All great comments, but truly it comes down to personal preference. You have a bunch of stickerless get the stickered, and vice versa. Or you could be like some cubers and get the stickered, only because Dayans first main 3x3 was stickered and keep that same pattern for all cubes Dayan. Don't let anyone's personal preference sway your decision making. In the end you're the user, no one else.

I can add my 2 cents about both cubes, but I choose not to. Pick your color and make the best of it. You'd be happy otherwise.

P.s. I've teamed up with Piecubeshop, the original posters of the review video of the Tengyun v2m. I'm doing an unboxing, review, and giveaway on behalf of Piecubeshop. I'll post the link in the post I made about it. If you cant find it, just search it.

vidcapper

I've no pretentions to be a speed-solver (at my age) ;), but I just love solving cubes. I find I prefer stickered, except for the 2x2 & Megaminx.

I think the stickerless ones look cooler, but when it comes to actually solving them, I find stickered ones easier to find pieces on.

Mo_A2244

YouTube
Visit Channel
I like stickerless cubes, however, I have hardly tried a stickered cube for comparison purposes. However, I would still think they would be equal, stickerless cubes are good for rough turners who would usually peel the stickers off because of how fast they turn. But I would suggest stickered definitely... for those who "peel the stickers off and put them back on again."

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
These days I prefer stickerless cubes, but I use stickered cubes when it's either not possible or very expensive to have a cube with my custom color scheme.

dudefaceguy

I've no pretentions to be a speed-solver (at my age) ;), but I just love solving cubes. I find I prefer stickered, except for the 2x2 & Megaminx.

I think the stickerless ones look cooler, but when it comes to actually solving them, I find stickered ones easier to find pieces on.
I'm the complete opposite. Recognition is much better on stickerless, but stickered cubes look cooler to me. I see a lot of blind solvers using stickered cubes, which I find interesting.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm the complete opposite. Recognition is much better on stickerless, but stickered cubes look cooler to me. I see a lot of blind solvers using stickered cubes, which I find interesting.
I'm pretty sure it's for color scheme reasons although I do know that many people use the original GTS as their blind main and that does not come in stickerless. I also think its because most people learn bld on a stickered cube with letters on the stickers so maybe that's what they are used to.

My recog is the same on stickered and stickerless but I prefer stickerless since I do a lot of big cubes and it would be such a pain to resticker a 7x7, also more cubes are coming in stickerless only now so its probably the better option in the long run.