• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stickerless vs Stickered

Which do you use?

• Stickered

Votes: 86 31.9%
  • Stickerless

Votes: 184 68.1%

• Total voters

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
I've no pretentions to be a speed-solver (at my age) ;), but I just love solving cubes. I find I prefer stickered, except for the 2x2 & Megaminx.

I think the stickerless ones look cooler, but when it comes to actually solving them, I find stickered ones easier to find pieces on.
I'm the complete opposite. Recognition is much better on stickerless, but stickered cubes look cooler to me. I see a lot of blind solvers using stickered cubes, which I find interesting.
I do think i have a marginal increase in recognition on stickerless puzzles since there is objectively more color available to the eye but I much prefer the look of stickered cubes. Classy :cool: . Plus, I'm shade obsessed and enjoy swapping stickers.

dudefaceguy

I do think i have a marginal increase in recognition on stickerless puzzles since there is objectively more color available to the eye but I much prefer the look of stickered cubes. Classy :cool: . Plus, I'm shade obsessed and enjoy swapping stickers.
Honestly it's just an excuse for me to buy more puzzles. Sometimes I'm in the mood for stickers, sometimes stickerless.

Sub1Hour

techniquly cheat by turning the layer 45 degrees and seeing the stickers in the back. This is a really nice cheat, but it is quite hard to perform in a solve (especially if you have magnets)
"Welcome to the WCA in 2014, if we allow stickerless cubes people will use this cheat so we can't allow it! Stickered only!"

We realized around 5 years ago that it's useless to do this since its faster to just do a pseudo rotation to look around the cube than try and look at the small exposed portion. Also I'm not quite sure how its a "cheat" or how its nice at all.

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorta wanna res this thread
Imo, stickerless looks better for patterns or yt vids, or even grip in some cases, where as stickered always has good gripsbut it is hard to recog or weird to make patterns

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
As a slow solver / collector: No difference, though stickered has a more classic look, especially white plastic. When I solve, the thin black or white lines (which are really milky and a bit translucent for Dayan puzzles) just fade into the background and aren't considered at all.