• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I learn CFOP, Roux or ZZ?

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
here are my reasons for why you should use Roux or CFOP

reasons for CFOP:

-easier transition from LBL
-more people use it so there is loads of content on it
-easy to look ahead
-easy to have high TPS
-easier to get into events like megaminx, 2x2, and OH (though you can do OH with Roux but it takes a lot of practice to be able to do M moves with one hand)

also take into account that most of the pro's use this method like Feliks, Max, Lucas, Sebastien and Phillip.

reasons for Roux

-less moves
-you can afford to slow down TPS
-less algs you need to learn (though not by a lot)

i think there is no reason why you should try to learn ZZ.

here are a few other things to take into consideration:
Roux uses lots of M moves, so if you like that you definitely should try Roux out
Roux is very intuitive
you can feel more unique with Roux as fewer people use it
CFOP will be easier to get into megaminx than Roux and it is easier to start out OH with CFOP
is very easy to turn fast whilst solving

I personally use CFOP, but ill let you decide, hope this helped.

EDIT: i think you should learn CFOP until you average about 30 seconds and then try out Roux and make your final decision

Last edited:
As a fellow beginner I would watch and learn some Intuitive F2L then get into Roux. That worked really well for me. When I first watched Roux videos they were confusing, but after doing F2L for a few days I went back to the Roux videos because, like you, I’m not interested in memorizing algorithms, and Roux made a lot more sense then. It’s definitely good to learn some CFOP and you will learn algorithms along the way by default. I currently use about 4-6 algorithms with the Roux method. My OLL and CLL are probably not as efficient as they could be but I will be working on improvements once I get my TPS up. One thing I do differently than you will see in the Roux videos is I solve the bottom 2 edges, then the top 4 edges, then the corners. All the tutorials I have seen solve the corners first then the Last Six Edges (LSE). Kian Mansour and Critical Cubing have had the most useful videos for me. Good Luck.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What even are reasons
CFOP is easier to learn after beginners method. Turning is much more fluid. You can achieve much higher TPS. 95% of pros use it. MUCH better for 3x3 stage on big cubes. It's easier to get fast on (After 1.5 years of speedcubing I had a sub 8 official average) There's less freedom than other methods like Roux, which in my opinion is a good thing. You can expand your algorithm knowledge to get faster. Less regrips, better fingertricks, etc.

GAN 356 X

I have only tried CFOP, but I've heard ZZ and Roux are also very good. although Roux has lower move count, I believe look-ahead is harder to use, whereas on CFOP you can use high TPS and still have good look-ahead (just look at Feliks Zemdegs). Also, Roux has not as many algorithms to learn. I don't know anything at all about ZZ.

Anthem

Try roux and cfop I wish I switched to roux when I could of because u will have so much more potential with roux if you are good at block building

TheKravCuber

WCA
2019MARA05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have only tried CFOP, but I've heard ZZ and Roux are also very good. although Roux has lower move count, I believe look-ahead is harder to use, whereas on CFOP you can use high TPS and still have good look-ahead (just look at Feliks Zemdegs). Also, Roux has not as many algorithms to learn. I don't know anything at all about ZZ.

Roux lookahead is arguably as easy as CFOP lookahead. It all depends on which method you use. For example, with Roux I can usually plan FB+DR edge, meanwhile when I do a CFOP solve, the most I can plan out is the cross and maybe a corner, and vice versa for a CFOP solver.

As for what you said about ZZ!....
I agree, EO makes absolutely no sense ;P

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
if you wanna be part of the cool kids club use roux

if you wanna be a normie use cfop, your choice man

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
if you wanna be part of the cool kids club use roux

if you wanna be a normie use cfop, your choice man
gptr,1400x,front,black-c,188,133,1000,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

efattah

Well a good reason to learn both CFOP and Roux is because eventually you can mix them and use ZBRoux (a lot later on once you know ZBLL).

Also I'm not sure it is correct to say Roux has few algorithms. You have 42 CMLL x 3 (one that flips edges, one that does nothing for edges, and then either a fast (random edge) one or a different angle one), plus 50 EOLR, so that is 176 plus the 2nd block pair algos in 2 reflections which is around 42 so about 218 algorithms for a master solver; to be fair that is still less than the 600 or so algorithms that a master CFOP solver uses.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well a good reason to learn both CFOP and Roux is because eventually you can mix them and use ZBRoux (a lot later on once you know ZBLL).

Also I'm not sure it is correct to say Roux has few algorithms. You have 42 CMLL x 3 (one that flips edges, one that does nothing for edges, and then either a fast (random edge) one or a different angle one), plus 50 EOLR, so that is 176 plus the 2nd block pair algos in 2 reflections which is around 42 so about 218 algorithms for a master solver; to be fair that is still less than the 600 or so algorithms that a master CFOP solver uses.
Wow dude. Why overcomplicate things?
Just use blockbuilding, 2look or 42 cmll and intuitive lse
Then learn tricks progressively