• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I learn CFOP, Roux or ZZ?

have you tried roux on bis cubes? is sounds like the M moves on 5x5 and up would be harder because the slice layers are much heavier than on a 3x3.
I have, it doesn't make that big of a difference time wise for me, I average about 16 with CFOP, so I just use that for 5 and up.

The slice moves aren't that hard, there is just the risk that some of the layers won't turn, so that's why I don't use it. Also, Roux is very inspection heavy, and it is harder to just solve without inspection.

That being said, I still sometimes use the MU U perms on 5x5, even though I know the RU ones.

I've been messing around with beginner's method for about a month now, and I want to get faster. I've heard of 3 major speedsolving methods while doing research: CFOP, ZZ, and Roux. I would like to know what would be the easiest to learn and I don't need to memorize that many algorithms. Thank you.
eh... i think you should start off with roux, it is a easy to learn method that is also move efficient

Roux lookahead is arguably as easy as CFOP lookahead. It all depends on which method you use. For example, with Roux I can usually plan FB+DR edge, meanwhile when I do a CFOP solve, the most I can plan out is the cross and maybe a corner, and vice versa for a CFOP solver.

As for what you said about ZZ!....
I agree, EO makes absolutely no sense ;P
yes, ZZ is downright confusing.

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
PapaSmurf Cubes
I haven't read any of this discussion, but from your specifications, Roux fits the best. It is low alg count and low movecount and very good. I would also recommend learning ZZ and CFOP and I would also definitely argue that ZZ is better than CFOP although you need 493 algorithms+ for it to be good. In terms of the ZZ/CFOP debate, this isn't the thread for it. One argument for ZZ is that you can definitely get sub 10 with 28 algorithms, as it has been done, but to use the full method 493 algorithms are required so if you're looking for low alg count, don't go with it. With Roux, it's 42 necessary algorithms plus knowledge of cases in a similar way to F2L cases for EOLR. I would recommend learning all 3 though and 4LLL, as that has all the algorithms for all 3 methods and you can decide which one you like the most.

Personally I am a CFOP solver and it is definitely possible to get sub 20 with only 31 algs (2 look oll and full pll) it isn’t that hard to learn and it is very easy to learn. however at times algs can be frustrating to learn so your choice.

you hate algs so you should probably learn roux
each of the 3 methods fit different solving styles,so maybe try all 3 or just roux and cfop (EOline seems too complex for beginners)