• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Teoidus

Doyou see the whole first block in inspection, and how many moves does it take?

9 moves @ 4 tps -> sub-3 first block, 3.8 definitely is a little high

SB and LSE look about where I had it at ~17.xx avg, my CMLL was a little slower though

EDIT: Okay I watched this video on your channel. It looks like it's from a while ago so I don't know if it's good to go off of, but all first blocks in that video looked like they averaged 13-16 moves and there were often pauses to look for the last pair. I'd say definitely try and plan the whole first block in inspection and always aim for sub-9 STM.

Last edited:

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I came up with a structured system for predicting at least orientation:
So when you are doing a pair insert(excluding AUF), the insert is almost always like this:
any R move, any U move, invert first R move.
to predict CO during the 3 moves, you do this:
1.R move
right before you do this move, note the corner orientation of the piece that gets moved to the D layer with the move. Let's call it the "D piece" for now.
2.U move
when you do this move, 2 pieces will be moved onto the R face. With those 2 piece's orientations, along with the D piece's orientation you should be able to predict the case it is(you will have to know where the last move will place the D piece).
3.Invert first R move
Immediately after this move, do an AUF to recognize the CMLL case(you should already know what CO case it is, so this should be quick.)

any feedback? If you guys like it, I have a variant of this way to predict the A case AUF's fairly well(its pretty hard to predict how to AUF), and I'll post it if you want.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I came up with a structured system for predicting at least orientation:
So when you are doing a pair insert(excluding AUF), the insert is almost always like this:
any R move, any U move, invert first R move.
to predict CO during the 3 moves, you do this:
1.R move
right before you do this move, note the corner orientation of the piece that gets moved to the D layer with the move. Let's call it the "D piece" for now.
2.U move
when you do this move, 2 pieces will be moved onto the R face. With those 2 piece's orientations, along with the D piece's orientation you should be able to predict the case it is(you will have to know where the last move will place the D piece).
3.Invert first R move
Immediately after this move, do an AUF to recognize the CMLL case(you should already know what CO case it is, so this should be quick.)

any feedback? If you guys like it, I have a variant of this way to predict the A case AUF's fairly well(its pretty hard to predict how to AUF), and I'll post it if you want.
I pretty much use this. The stationary corner is easy, one corner does a U/U' which is easy too, and you just pick the 3rd depending on which one is closer (FDR for front slot, FUL for back slot).

Alternative method: get sub 2 at 2x2.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
sorry for bump, but this thread is kind of eternal anyway.
I think that for teaching beginners(to roux at least) blockbuilding, I think this page may be helpful.
One thing that roux does not have is a transition from beginner's method, a tutorial for people that have juuust mastered beginners and are trying to learn how to be a bit faster. Any ideas?

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
sorry for bump, but this thread is kind of eternal anyway.
I think that for teaching beginners(to roux at least) blockbuilding, I think this page may be helpful.
One thing that roux does not have is a transition from beginner's method, a tutorial for people that have juuust mastered beginners and are trying to learn how to be a bit faster. Any ideas?
So the roux community should try to attract some newer solvers, should we make a video describing Roux in terms that LBL people could understand? Originally, I thought that "inventing" a new beginner method might be easier (corners first but instead or <R E> its <M U>), but maybe a transition could be better.

In other news, I just made a page of all the CMLL's I use, because some of the algorithms I use(Found w/ Acube) are really nice and I haven't seen other people use them. The link to the page is in my signature.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which CMLLs do you think are interesting?
almost all of the D cases(L cases) I generated myself, and I really like most of those (the D2 is controversial though).
Also my C6/B6 algorithm(they are symmetrically the same algorithm). Also my F2 alg is a little strange, but nice. Those are only a few off the top of my head. Please, just look through the CMLL's.

Teoidus

I've got an interesting one for D1: R' D R' D R3 U' R3' D' R D' R
D4 isn't working for me
D6 there is R U2' (R2' F R F') (R U2' R')

C6/B6 are standard, I think (though people usually invert instead of mirror)

F2 is better done as r' U r U2' R2' F R F' R