• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Request - Fridrich Setup Algorithms

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry if this question has been answered already, but I have searched all over the forums, wiki and popular cubing websites.

I want to learn Fridrich F2L, OLL and PLL algorithmically. But, to practice each algorithm, I need the setup formulae for each of the cases.

Dan's cubestation had them, but the website is down. Can anyone provide me with the algorithms or link me to a website which has them?

Thanks in advance.

Kun.

Sent from my A75 using Tapatalk 2

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
OLL and PLL: Just do the same alg over and over on a solved cube until it is solved again. You don't need algs for F2L.

This. There are a few cases where algs are useful in Fridrich F2L, but you should learn intuitively, makes you better as a cuber. Any algorithm will return the cube to its original state after enough repetitions, so if you do an algorithm enough times from a solved cube state it will eventually return there. For F2L search badmephisto on youtube, his videos really helped me "get" F2L.

speedpicker

If you want to get the setup, just reverse the solution. Basically read it from right to left, changing any move with a ' attached to one without, and any without to one with. So R U F R' becomes R F' U' R'. Sune R U R' U R U2 R' becomes R U2' R' U' R U' R'.
Hope thats clear.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all the replies. So, If I want to learn F2L intuitively, are badmephisto's tutorials the way to go?

I never knew that repeating the alg for OLL & PLL would recreate the situation. Thanks for that.

Does anyone know what happened to Cubestation?

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all the replies. So, If I want to learn F2L intuitively, are badmephisto's tutorials the way to go?

I never knew that repeating the alg for OLL & PLL would recreate the situation. Thanks for that.

Does anyone know what happened to Cubestation?

I learned from Badmephisto's tutorial. Now I really understand it. As for OLL/PLL:
OLL I think you should do the inverse, it is a lot easier than doing the same alg 6 or so times. Some only take like 3 repeats but others can take six or more.
PLL doing the alg is good because most cases (except Gs, Us, and As) are setup by doing the alg once.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, I mostly get it.

Here's the last problem I have...

When I get to PLL, I can't recognize which of the 21 cases is on the cube.

Is there anything I can do too check, like matching 2 edges, or matching 2 corners?

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for pointing it out. I'm very happy to get all my questions answered so quickly. This is a great community, would love to get more involved. Thanks once again.

omer

Alright, I mostly get it.

Here's the last problem I have...

When I get to PLL, I can't recognize which of the 21 cases is on the cube.

Is there anything I can do too check, like matching 2 edges, or matching 2 corners?

Nobody recognizes PLL's by thinking "OK this edge needs to go here, this edge has to go here, then this corner here and this corner here so this must be the Gb perm", it takes too long and too much looking. It's all about recognizing much simpler patterns, so for example if you spot one side that is completely solved then it has to be either Ua, Ub, Ja or Jb, if it has headlights it must be Ua or Ub, and then from here it's easy to know which one to choose. Other cases use similar logic. Just practice a lot until you develop your own "system" for recognition, or watch videos describing other systems (the best you can get is recognizing the PLL by simply looking at two sides, though this is hard and takes learning & practice).

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think most people recognize PLLs by looking at blocks of pieces, with some use of opposite colors as well. For instance the A perm has a 2x2 block (edge+corner+edge) and one of the corners next to that block has a color opposite to the edge next to it. (In the V perm, both corners are like that.) In the G perm, you have a corner+edge block and a corner+corner block, and their relative placements determine which one you have. An H perm has corner+corner blocks on every side, and all the edges have an opposite color to the corners next to them. And so on. You can actually recognize every PLL by only looking at the F and R faces, but this isn't really recommended until you get much faster.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nobody recognizes PLL's by thinking "OK this edge needs to go here, this edge has to go here, then this corner here and this corner here so this must be the Gb perm", it takes too long and too much looking. It's all about recognizing much simpler patterns, so for example if you spot one side that is completely solved then it has to be either Ua, Ub, Ja or Jb, if it has headlights it must be Ua or Ub, and then from here it's easy to know which one to choose. Other cases use similar logic. Just practice a lot until you develop your own "system" for recognition, or watch videos describing other systems (the best you can get is recognizing the PLL by simply looking at two sides, though this is hard and takes learning & practice).

Yeah, actually, that was what I meant. I'll learn f2l first and then onto LL. Mine is a 4look LL. I average 1.00-1.30 (minutes).

I think most people recognize PLLs by looking at blocks of pieces, with some use of opposite colors as well. For instance the A perm has a 2x2 block (edge+corner+edge) and one of the corners next to that block has a color opposite to the edge next to it. (In the V perm, both corners are like that.) In the G perm, you have a corner+edge block and a corner+corner block, and their relative placements determine which one you have. An H perm has corner+corner blocks on every side, and all the edges have an opposite color to the corners next to them. And so on. You can actually recognize every PLL by only looking at the F and R faces, but this isn't really recommended until you get much faster.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to learn f2l first though. I'm aiming for sub-1 minute right now.

Another question I have is : What is a good speedcube I can get? The best ones here in India are the Dian Sheng ones, and the only store that had them has run out of stock :(

I have the original Funskool one, it doesn't lock up, but it is very hard to turn

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another question I have is : What is a good speedcube I can get?
If you're allowed to buy stuff from the internet, there are a lot of good brands out there. LunHui, ZhanChi, GuHong are some of the more popular ones. But most speedcubes you can buy are really good after just a little lubing. Don't go for amazon.com or something, go for a specialized cube store like Witeden or 51morefun.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're allowed to buy stuff from the internet, there are a lot of good brands out there. LunHui, ZhanChi, GuHong are some of the more popular ones. But most speedcubes you can buy are really good after just a little lubing. Don't go for amazon.com or something, go for a specialized cube store like Witeden or 51morefun.

Alright, thanks. There is an online store here, and they sell Zhanchi, Guhong and LanLan. Which one do you recommend?

ShadowsEye

Alright, thanks. There is an online store here, and they sell Zhanchi, Guhong and LanLan. Which one do you recommend?

I recommend the ZhanChi, I would buy it from http://thecubicle.us/ it's a US based store and you can buy lube and stickers in the same order. Get the DIY version and use a bit of sandpaper to clean up the flashing (the points where the plastic was injected) I smooth out the internals of each corner with sandpaper and my thumb and that's really all that's needed.