• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so suppose if I average 20 secs I have to say for 3 minutes,20 seconds underwater holding my breath
Somewhere around there, yeah. Keep in mind that both cubes and fingers will be a bit slower in water (plus you'll be going without inspection), so if you want to average around 20 seconds you'll have to be quite a bit faster on land.

Hey but the won't the cubes get wet??
Yep. You probably don't want to use your best speedcube for this, and it wouldn't hurt to air the cubes out afterwards. I'm not really sure what is involved in a good underwater cube, but I'd assume you want the kind of cube that's decent without lube, and that has rounded pieces to prevent lockups.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yep. You probably don't want to use your best speedcube for this, and it wouldn't hurt to air the cubes out afterwards. I'm not really sure what is involved in a good underwater cube, but I'd assume you want the kind of cube that's decent without lube, and that has rounded pieces to prevent lockups.

Logically you could use a bad cube aswell, becuase if it has a lot of frictionh normally (Hint at storeboughts), the water would potentially remove some of the friction between the peices, like a thick lubricant (Hint at lubix)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But the goal is to have a good cube in the water, not to *improve* a cube. The water does lubricate the pieces slightly, but it won't fix a high-friction cube, and you definitely don't want to be putting in a lot of physical effort to do turns in an underwater attempt.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think a loose cube like an A5 or any new Dayan could be advantageous, counteract the pressure of water on your hands and the cube. Pops would be crazy though, lol.

H

Hershey

OMG this is creepy, the devil's number was my best time in a 2x2 average:

Average of 5: 8.48
1. (6.66) U' F R F2 U' F U
2. (11.47) F' R F' U F' U2 R2
3. 9.41 R2 U' F R F2 R F2 R F' U'
4. 7.38 F' R2 U F' U2 F2 U' R U'
5. 8.66 R' F U R F2 U R2 U

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
470rubiks.jpg

lolaznpodium

Tiersy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Considering the fact that I want to get fast i.e sub-20 am I weird/dumb/(insert adjective) because I solve using Petrus instead of CFOP?
It is quite likely that if i had practised CFOP as long asi have Petrus I would be sub-20 by now. I love doing Petrus but still get frustrated because I get a lof of low 40 second solves... I don't understand me sometimes, is anyone else in this situation?

Last edited:

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Sub-20 is achievable with any decent speedsolving method. If you feel more comfortable with Petrus than with CFOP, then just stick to Petrus.

Tiersy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub-20 is achievable with any decent speedsolving method. If you feel more comfortable with Petrus than with CFOP, then just stick to Petrus.

Oh I will, Petrus is amazing!

I just think that learning CFOP would be a faster was of achieving really quick times. I am just gonna stick at Petrus even if it takes longer to get my times down. SUb-30 avg here I come!!!

Tiersy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe your times are going down quicker than they would if you'd've learned CFOP.

Maybe, who knows... I'm certainly not gonna test that out at this stage :)

My actual understanding i.e spatial intelligence of the cube sucks that is why I opted to learn Petrus in the first place, I think there is a lot to be said for intuitive solving in whatever method you choose to use. Plus Petrus style block-building floats my boat.

When I have the time I think it'd be great to know full PLL and OLL too, add COLL and a good understanding of intuitive F2L to the list. That'd make you a really solid cuber.

Last edited: