• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

In particular I would argue that the notation:

(A B)*1.5

or

\( (A B)^{1.5} \)
(corresponding to the repetition notation Singmaster used)

is especially bad as it doesn't really make any sense mathematically if A and B are taken to be group elements,

If defining an Operator funcMult( A, 2) = A + A = AA makes mathematical sense, as you say, and the standard operator would be funcMult(A, 2) = A*2

Defining any Operator for funcBiTail( A, B ) = ABA makes mathematical sense, too.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Might switch to that 2nd alg if I can perform it faster, hate my OLL for that case.

The first r2 of that alg is unnecessary, and is more commonly written as F U' R2 D R' U2 R D' R2' U F' aka [F U' R2 D R': U2] and is my favorite alg for that case. I assume you're using the R U2 R2 etc alg for that case now, which does suck (though it's a useful OLLCP). You might also try r U2 R' U' R2 r' U R' U' r U' r' in addition to the F U' one in order to prevent diag corner CP PLLs.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The first r2 of that alg is unnecessary, and is more commonly written as F U' R2 D R' U2 R D' R2' U F' aka [F U' R2 D R': U2] and is my favorite alg for that case. I assume you're using the R U2 R2 etc alg for that case now, which does suck (though it's a useful OLLCP). You might also try r U2 R' U' R2 r' U R' U' r U' r' in addition to the F U' one in order to prevent diag corner CP PLLs.

Yeah I was using the R U2 R2 one. It does suck. I can't decide which I like better, qq's rotationed version of that alg, or the F U' R2 alg. Meh, shall time both.

I just started OLLCP last week, and have most of the awkward OLLs done (in the sense of, I can always avoid a diag CP PLL)

Athefre

A couple of months ago I taught my brother how to solve; using 8355. Sometime later I showed him that he can improve his solve times using pairs. He quickly got frustrated and resorted to orienting the corner in a desirable way then pairing it with the edge, then got tired of that and resorted further back to the original 8355. I thought the way he was creating pairs was interesting.

Place the corner at UFR then,

If the edge is oriented, place it at UB and perform F'U'FU until the pair can be slotted with RUR'.
If the edge is misoriented, place it at UL and perform RUR'U' until the pair can be slotted with F'U'F.

Last edited:

Athefre

I'm thinking that maybe OCELL and NMLL would work better if the first step involved orienting the L/R colors instead of U colors. It looks like it would lead to better sequences for the second step. So, merge the two ideas into one and it would work for an LL with oriented edges and for the people that use non-matching blocks in Petrus or ZZ.

I feel like I have to continually stress that I know that nobody so far uses non-matching blocks.

Athefre

Maybe I should have said "complete non-matching in 3x3x3 speed" (forgot about you Rowan) which doesn't just mean opposite blocks.

Is there a name for an LL method that orients the corners and separates opposite edges (not necessarily placing the two edge bars correct relative to each other)? Then PLL for the second step. It looks like it would be 23 cases - 14 for Orient+Separate, 9 for PLL.

EDIT: Actually, I think it's 30. How did I forget the "correct" 7?

Last edited:
Is there a name for an LL method that orients the corners and separates opposite edges (not necessarily placing the two edge bars correct relative to each other)? Then PLL for the second step. It looks like it would be 23 cases - 14 for Orient+Separate, 9 for PLL.

For corners there are 7 orientations.

For edges there are 3 possibilities: edge-3-cycle, other-3-cycle, no-3-cycle

For corner oriented case, just the two 3-cycles are necessary.

3*7 + 2 = 23 - this way of couting does not use any kind of L/R - color placement (I didn't understand your plan, or how just 7 more algs are enough to make a differece)

All this cases can be solved by 9 PLLs (the PLLs not doing an edge-3-cycle A T H E N F Z),

It's like doing phasing during OLL instead of during F2L.

Last edited: