• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

FluxDigital01

Sorry for double posting, but I just had an idea.

Get this: a BLD lettering scheme based on the IPA.

If the sticker is a the first in the pair, you use the consonant chart laid over the cube net. If it's the second, you use the vowel chart laid over the net. If you know the charts by heart (like me), then it'll probably be easy to learn the scheme. Additionally, you could even use the ejective chart, clicks, or tones to convey other information like twists, flips, and special cases.

zslane

Quick question about competitions:

I've seen quite a lot of videos of competitions, and the solve routine seems to go like this: cube is scrambled out of view of the solver and then placed under the box shield. The box is removed and the inspection timer starts (or does something else trigger the timer start?). The solver picks up the cube and inspects it. They put it back down and place their hands on the stackmat pads. A couple seconds later they take their hands off the pads and begin their solve. At the end of their solve they drop the cube and smack the pads to stop the timer.

So my question is this: after putting the cube down from inspection and placing hands on the stackmat pads, is the inspection timer still counting down?

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes it is still counting down until you release your hands off the timer. This is why most people advise you to put your hands on the timer right away if you hear the judge say "12 seconds". Also, your are pretty much correct in saying that the box being removed is what triggers the inspection start, but I would like to add that the cover is lifted and the inspection timer is started when you say "ready".

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results

I've seen quite a lot of videos of competitions, and the solve routine seems to go like this: cube is scrambled out of view of the solver and then placed under the box shield. The box is removed and the inspection timer starts (or does something else trigger the timer start?). The solver picks up the cube and inspects it. They put it back down and place their hands on the stackmat pads. A couple seconds later they take their hands off the pads and begin their solve. At the end of their solve they drop the cube and smack the pads to stop the timer.

So my question is this: after putting the cube down from inspection and placing hands on the stackmat pads, is the inspection timer still counting down?
Self-promotion incoming:

This is a good thread to learn about comps. I’m still working on it, but the first 2 sections are done!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

The judge will ask you if you are ready to begin inspection. You have up to a minute to signal that you are ready. When you say you're ready, the judge will start a stopwatch and take the cover off of the cube simultaneously. As soon as the timer for the solve has begun(you've placed your hands on the stackmat and then taken them off), the judge will stop the stopwatch.

So yes, the inspection timer runs until the stackmat has begun

vidcapper

does anyone else get good/average times one day and then for two to three days after that they get bad times?

They are the bane of my cubing! :p

Who will be the first to post a 19x19 solve video? :)

I see there is now one posted. The link...

What sort of time do you think the UWR will be by the end of year? I'm guessing 1.25 to 1.5 hours?

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Hey all! I'm just now returning to cubing after about a 3-1/2 year hiatus (College sure is a time-eater). What are the biggest things that have been happening in the cubing world in the past few years that I should know about?

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey all! I'm just now returning to cubing after about a 3-1/2 year hiatus (College sure is a time-eater). What are the biggest things that have been happening in the cubing world in the past few years that I should know about?
Petrus was used to break the current world record, competitions don’t exist and Tao Yu learnt ZBLL in 6 weeks.
More of accidental Petrus, wr is now 3.47, leo is getting consistent 4s with a lot of 3s. Ya boi Feliks now holds YTUWR with a 3.33, and yeah

Last edited: