• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
TheMachanga
I don't really know where else to say this, but do people who are not color neutral do FMC on white cross always? I think the former world record was on white cross, and I noticed another cross was way easier after looking at the reconstruction. However, white cross gave him an LL skip, but still.

WCA
2011THOM01
Ok, then last layer on yellow?
No. Just because I can't recognize F2L cases on other colors quite as fast as I can on white when speedsolving doesn't mean it's at all difficult to consider the cube from a color-neutral standpoint during FMC, when you don't have to recognize a case and act in a fraction of a second.

Random question: Has anyone worked on software to simulate fingering for / estimate finger-friendliness of sequences of moves?
I've been working on a program that sorts a list of sequences based on their potential feel.

I doubt I'll finish it before the end of the year because something has come up.

WCA
2012VOGL01
Neat. May I ask roughly how you approach the problem?
I've thought about either searching for desirable fragments, or trying to simulate where the cuber's fingers would actually be, and what moves they would be ready to make without re-positioning. That plus branching when there are multiple ways to execute something (like when there are half turns that could go either way).
I've just been toying a tiny bit with the latter idea. I kept track of R turns, and considered it a negative to do a U (but not U') if the sum of R turns wasn't 0. Just a first stab, but it seemed to select better than average sequences from a list.

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Robert271291
I calculated 3916 "unique" LL cases. I just counted the number of repeated cases in Kirjava's huge 2alg LL table and subtracted it from 4128 (43 rows * 96 columns).

Does this sound reasonable? Can anyone back this up?

Last edited: