• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Poll: What speedcubing method do you use?

What speedsolving method do you use for 3x3?

• Total voters
WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Roux score went up by 11 overnight while CFOP/ZZ went up by 4 between them, suggesting that some Roux fan told his friends to vote :).

Nice try at guessing, but Roux fans have no friends :p

It was Kian (PDF) on FB... hope he doesn't ban me :D
I can't just sit back and watch the best method be the least popular.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what does this mean?

He is incapable of having his weight supported by his buttocks while observing attentively that the most excellent, effective, or desirable procedure for accomplishing something is liked, admired, or enjoyed to the smallest extent or degree.

Thanks, Google. :p

efattah

I really get the feel that the actual percentage of speed cubers that use CFOP is around 99%. Honestly find me any recent competition that had even ONE Roux solver. At US nationals the final 16 had zero. This is nothing against the method it is obviously super fast (though possibly slower to master). At the time of writing this there are 442 people who have recorded official sub-10 averages on 3x3. How many of those are with Roux? I'd guess something between 10 and 30.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I really get the feel that the actual percentage of speed cubers that use CFOP is around 99%. Honestly find me any recent competition that had even ONE Roux solver. At US nationals the final 16 had zero. This is nothing against the method it is obviously super fast (though possibly slower to master). At the time of writing this there are 442 people who have recorded official sub-10 averages on 3x3. How many of those are with Roux? I'd guess something between 10 and 30.
At this time the list is
Alexander Lau (7.37)
Kaijun Lin (8.40)
Kavin Tangtartharakul (8.79)
Kian Mansour (8.98)
Ryan Przybocki (9.06)
Vincent Wong (9.17)
Austin Moore (9.48)
Tomoya Yamashita (9.67)
Thom Barlow (9.97)
Though I would disagree with your assessment that is takes longer to get faster with roux as insofar as I'm aware rouxers tend to progress faster though the sheer number of CFOPers means that they have a distinct advantage for number of sub-x.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
At this time the list is
Alexander Lau (7.37)
Kaijun Lin (8.40)
Kavin Tangtartharakul (8.79)
Kian Mansour (8.98)
Ryan Przybocki (9.06)
Vincent Wong (9.17)
Austin Moore (9.48)
Tomoya Yamashita (9.67)
Thom Barlow (9.97)
Though I would disagree with your assessment that is takes longer to get faster with roux as insofar as I'm aware rouxers tend to progress faster though the sheer number of CFOPers means that they have a distinct advantage for number of sub-x.
Roux advancement is fast because of the intuitive nature of the method. 3/4 steps are intuitive, and intuitive steps are easier to improve on than algorithmic steps when youre starting out. The "number of sub-x" argument is the hardest one, but the numbers get very very close when you look at the elites.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Beginners choose CFOP because it's undeniably the method the vast majority of fast people use. The fast people stick with CFOP because they've invested a lot of effort into it and don't want that effort to go to waste. It's a self-sustaining cycle, and it's going to take something major to break it - a Roux user at #2 in the world apparently wasn't even enough.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Beginners choose CFOP because it's undeniably the method the vast majority of fast people use. The fast people stick with CFOP because they've invested a lot of effort into it and don't want that effort to go to waste. It's a self-sustaining cycle, and it's going to take something major to break it - a Roux user at #2 in the world apparently wasn't even enough.

Maybe there are just more people that just like CFOP more (for example I).

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel

I would tend to agree with you.

Maybe there are just more people that just like CFOP more (for example I).

I think so too.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
people got to stop with the resources stuff. pretty much all you need for roux is CMLL, and that's easy to find. and there has been threads from way back when that discuss most of the advance techniques. now there are even videos for those techniques and hundreds of example solves from elite roux users. i don't think people choose not to do roux or zz because of lack of resources. i certainly didn't even consider it. more like people don't choose roux because of popularity or too much invested time in cfop.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly find me any recent competition that had even ONE Roux solver.
Dixon Fall 2016 had TWO Roux solvers. @Knut Peterson and Kevin Gee.
There may have been more, I only judged Knut and recognized his LSE, and Kevin is my brother.

people got to stop with the resources stuff. pretty much all you need for roux is CMLL, and that's easy to find. and there has been threads from way back when that discuss most of the advance techniques. now there are even videos for those techniques and hundreds of example solves from elite roux users. i don't think people choose not to do roux or zz because of lack of resources. i certainly didn't even consider it. more like people don't choose roux because of popularity or too much invested time in cfop.

I'm not saying that there aren't enough Roux resources, I was just saying, that when you are starting out and have no idea where too look, there is a greater chance of finding CFOP resources than ZZ or Roux resources.
Sure, if you know what to look for it isn't hard to find, but if not, then you just go with what comes first which will most likely be CFOP stuff.
And then, after spending some time getting faster at CFOP, people wont want to switch methods.

Last edited:

Umm Roux?

It is pretty hard to find Roux until it's too late. When I started cubing, I thought just wanted to be able to solve a cube, until I got caught between an argument between a CFOPer and a Rouxer. I chose Roux only because my friend said it looked sexy. Unless by influence of a fellow rouxer(a rarity), a newcomer is most likely going to go LBL-->CFOP.

I started cubing back in 2001 when I was in high-school. Got sub-30 with CFOP, but lost interest/moved on. I've been playing around with abstract algebra and decided to get a new cube about 2 weeks ago. I've forgotten almost everything from before, so I decided to learn Roux for speed and Heise for understanding/challenge. I'm at about a minute right now with Roux, with 2-look CMLL and cycling to orient L6E.

So I found CFOP and Petrus first, but there wasn't much info on Petrus (Fridrich's page on CFOP was one of the few sites with comprehensive info at the time) and ZZ/Roux/Heise/etc hadn't been invented yet. Coming back I see that significant progress has been made in speed solving. I chose Roux this time around because of the low move counts / high intuitive aspects mostly, it seems likely to be a rather optimal method. The low algorithm count makes it easier to learn as a (mostly) beginner: I have enough experience to solve without algorithms and don't really want to spend tons of time on memorization. While move counts aren't directly proportional to speed they are related, so that's another point in its favor. And I've always rather liked slice moves, so Roux it is!

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
I use zz. And I think waterroux has great potential.
If you want to find a method that fits for you, look in many different ones, not just cfop or roux.