• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should speedcubing community have their own timers?

Should we make our own timers?

• Yes

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

AlexCube

WCA
2014HEIK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello guys! I was thinking (as the title says) should speedcubing community have their own timers? I know that the speedstack timers are good but aren't we just helping them? Post your opinions to poll and comments below!

Last edited:

BillyRain

Premium Member
WCA
2012JEFF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although SpeedStacks timers have no problem forfilling our needs, I think it would be nice to have timers and mats designed specifically for cubing.

But if any company were to look at designing something, I would hope that they would seek advice from experienced cubers and the WCA first.

AlexCube

WCA
2014HEIK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Of course we should have our own timers! No more 10 minutes limit!

... Now please make timers, will you?
I don't think that I am that much electrician but I could suggest that :)

Although SpeedStacks timers have no problem forfilling our needs, I think it would be nice to have timers and mats designed specifically for cubing.

But if any company were to look at designing something, I would hope that they would seek advice from experienced cubers and the WCA first.
I agree

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruben

WCA
2014VASQ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
defintely! timers with more feature built in such as the WCA 15 sec inspection time, +2 penalty option. or maybe be generate some practice scrambles. Also, more customization features like colors, size, etc

Clarkeeyyy

WCA
2013CLAR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think having additional options such as inspection time is a viable reason for new timers, however, the indication of how much inspection time is remaining has been discussed before and could be an issue. Nobody wants to look away from the puzzle just to check how much time they have left to inspect. If a good method of measuring inspection time on the timers could be developed then it would remove any uncertainties and controversies, like Chris Olson's 2x2 wr average.

Ruben

WCA
2014VASQ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At the very least, a timer that says "SPEED CUBING" OR "SPEED SOLVING", something like that instead of "SPEED STACKS". Another cool customization feature, which can apply to any timer, would be the ability to engrave, write, or display custom text, like our name or pb.

tjp8153

You could just have the timer beep at 8 and 12 seconds and then it wouldnt be much different than a judge with a stop watch. I think it is a good idea.