• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

AdityaM

I currently average 40-45 seconds on 3x3 OH on my RS3M 2020. Will getting a mini cube helps me improve at least a bit? I know look ahead and 1-look OLL also is a factor but will getting a mini cube helps?
If yes suggest some good budget magnetic mini cubes.

Aluminum

I can solve a cube in about 35ish seconds with two hands. I know 2 Look OLL and full PLL. Ive been wanting to learn how to sove the cube with using only one hand. How is this accomplished? I use my left hand but my hand often gets tired or I forget the algorithms. How do you get better at this? Are there such things as one handed algoritms?
In same situation

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel

First 2
Those are honestly not great algs.

Also for the people new to OH, your hand will get tired quick for a while. You just have to do OH solves daily to build up your hand strength. Once the muscles develop enough you'll be able to do long OH sessions without much issue.

Puzzlerr

wait, so what OH cube should I get? I already have pretty small hands so I'll need a cube a bit smaller than normal

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
wait, so what OH cube should I get? I already have pretty small hands so I'll need a cube a bit smaller than normal
I'm not much into OH, but I think in general you want fast cubes with weak-medium magnets, although it probably varies from person to person.
54mm cubes: Dayan GuHong V3 M (idk much about this), GAN 354 M
55 mm cubes: WRM 2021, Tornado V2, TengYun V1
56 mm is normal size, you might want to stay away from that.
You might not have small hands but just have a weak pinkie. I thought I had small hands (I mean I am 14 so ig they had to be smaller), but actually after practicing some turning, it felt normal.

Puzzlerr

I'm not much into OH, but I think in general you want fast cubes with weak-medium magnets, although it probably varies from person to person.
54mm cubes: Dayan GuHong V3 M (idk much about this), GAN 354 M
55 mm cubes: WRM 2021, Tornado V2, TengYun V1
56 mm is normal size, you might want to stay away from that.
You might not have small hands but just have a weak pinkie. I thought I had small hands (I mean I am 14 so ig they had to be smaller), but actually after practicing some turning, it felt normal.
okay, i'll read the reviews and prices on the cubicle for the 54 and 55mm cubes

I'm 14 as well, and my hand is a bit too small for 56mm I can just barely get my pinkie in the right spot

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
how much should I practice to develop strength in my hand and don't feel pain anymore?
after half a dozen solves I can't stand the pain
i would just pick up the cube and do R U R’ U’ a bunch of times. That helped me improve endurance and turn speed. I still pick up the cube and do R U R’ U’ everyday just to improve turn speed.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
how much should I practice to develop strength in my hand and don't feel pain anymore?
after half a dozen solves I can't stand the pain
Depends on the type of pain - if its anything sharp, then I would honestly just stay away from the event. Even though it's obviously the best event in the entire WCA, it's not worth seriously injuring your hand for it. However, if it's just a general ache that you can tell is just due to inexperience with the event, then I would honestly just do solves until it starts hurting (so, 5?).

I would also recommend doing any sort of fidget move, but definitely a little bit more varied than just T perm - if you can, try to be proactive about your fidget moves so that you can incorporate a variety of different turns that will help with mid-solve turning: things like eido, double flicks, swag L moves, D and B moves (including their double flicks), and maybe even rotations too, assuming you're stuck with CFOP and don't use a rotationless method like Roux or ZZ.

I will say, hardware is also much more dependent for OH than it is for 3x3. So making sure your cube is modern enough (anything post 2016 should be fine tbh) and set up well; you don't want it too tight or sluggish. Controllable is good but unnecessary resistance with an event where you have half the turning force is just a bad idea.