• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

CubingGenius

For normal two-handed ZZ solving, I often solve both sides simultaneously. Is it a better idea, when doing one-handed solving, to try to solve one side and then the other, so I can do less rotating?

M

Malkom

Rotate in a ZZ solve? I guess you mean Z rotations and that cant be avoided during FB, but after that you shouldnt need to rotate

CubingGenius

Rotate in a ZZ solve? I guess you mean Z rotations and that cant be avoided during FB, but after that you shouldnt need to rotate

Sorry for not being more clear. I mean after EOline, if I should solve the two 1x2x3 blocks one at a time. And by rotating, I mean doing a z rotation only for one-handed to turn the LU into RU which is a lot easier to execute.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Sorry for not being more clear. I mean after EOline, if I should solve the two 1x2x3 blocks one at a time. And by rotating, I mean doing a z rotation only for one-handed to turn the LU into RU which is a lot easier to execute.
I think most people prefer to solve one side then the other, but will switch sides for a really lucky case. Often for a lucky pair, its easier to move it out the way to preserve it rather than to have to change sides an extra time. But if its a 2-3 move square, its most probably worth solving right away.

CubingGenius

I think most people prefer to solve one side then the other, but will switch sides for a really lucky case. Often for a lucky pair, its easier to move it out the way to preserve it rather than to have to change sides an extra time. But if its a 2-3 move square, its most probably worth solving right away.

Thank you.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I average about 29 seconds on oh what should I do to get faster?
Don't listen to @shadowslice e above. He makes it sound like different people solve differently and need to do different things depending on their solving style to get faster.

The truth is there is generic advice that does apply to everyone and is the only advice you ever need to get faster:

Identify your bad habits and stop doing those things. Identify your weaknesses and drill them until they aren't weaknesses any more. Identify your strengths and think about what makes them strengths. How can you incorporate whatever that is into other parts of your solve. Never solve mindlessly. That's all it takes at your time or any other time.

Also, more practice helps too.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't listen to @shadowslice e above. He makes it sound like different people solve differently and need to do different things depending on their solving style to get faster.

The truth is there is generic advice that does apply to everyone and is the only advice you ever need to get faster:

Identify your bad habits and stop doing those things. Identify your weaknesses and drill them until they aren't weaknesses any more. Identify your strengths and think about what makes them strengths. How can you incorporate whatever that is into other parts of your solve. Never solve mindlessly. That's all it takes at your time or any other time.

Also, more practice helps too.
Thing is, when I say it like that, it is because to a newer solver, "identify your weaknesses and improve on them" is kind of a catch-22. I mean, even faster solvers will ask what they could improve on every once in a while in case something they thought was good about their solve is actually one of the weaker parts.

Also, if you don't know what method they use or splits, you can't say "work on your PLL" or "LSE needs work" or anything beyond vague "always think about what you're doing and if there is a better way to do it" or "work on your worst part of the solve" which I have always found to be somewhat unhelpful and something which most people have heard before.

Last edited:
how do i improve my oh tps i can do some algs ok like eplls all sub 2 but in f2l and eoline i just can turn fast

Anni.Ostberg

YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone have any good OH tutorials?
And any good tips for getting fast?

I do everything right, but I can´t do it fast so in kinda desperate here!
Help!!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
how do i improve my oh tps i can do some algs ok like eplls all sub 2 but in f2l and eoline i just can turn fast
It's really just a combination of drilling fingertiricks and lookahead. asmallkitten has a good video on YouTube iirc. Also, if you don't do Japanese style (reverse flicks instead of pushes) you should probably switch (though there are occasions where pushing my be better depending on where your hands are. Bottom line is train yourself to move your hands as little as possible to perform each move. Having multiple ways of doing each helps to make sure your hands are never too out of position.

If you post a video we would probably be able to pinpoint exact things to work on.

pionky is almost alwasy better than ring for any turn. its awkward at first but when you swith to pinky d's and r's you'll get much mcuh faster