• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Arghhh. How do you guys just 'know' the algs for OH immediately after learning them for 2h? It took me like a month just to do a T perm for OH

wait wait wait how do you memorise algs then?

probably by memorising repeating "bits" of algs and/or movement of pairs, blocks etc.

any thoughts about OH splits though? i seriously need some advice as i'm like super stuck

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
so you remember an alg as being composed of segments A, B AND C? where ABC are certain movements of pairs etc....how on earth do you guys do this?

Here's an example with a COLL alg: R' U2 R' D' R U2 R' D R2
First, remove a pair: R' U2
Then, move the D block: R' D'
Replace the pair: R U2
Replace the block: R' D
R2 is obvious afterwards.

Yetiowin

WCA
2015JIAN03
I am sub-25 at OH and I just use the 2H algs for LL. My LL can sometimes be up to half my solve. Should I learn OH OLL and PLL?

I don't use muscle memory to memorize algs, which doesn't transfer over to OH.

Really? I find that I can transfer my muscle memory to OH on almost all algs.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am sub-25 at OH and I just use the 2H algs for LL. My LL can sometimes be up to half my solve. Should I learn OH OLL and PLL?

Really? I find that I can transfer my muscle memory to OH on almost all algs.

OH PLL is necessary, and isn't even that hard to learn. OH PLL will depend on if you want to get serious about OH. Personally, I would do PLL now and oll later (to give a nice boost into sub 15).

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
I average like 55-1:00 for OH. I started practicing for OH in mid February. I can do some PLLs like T, U, A, Ga, Gc perms OH and almost all of the 2 look OLLs. So can you give me suggestions on how to improve at OH. I know that the most important factor for getting faster at any event, especially OH is practice. But is there something beside it that I can do? And is it the correct time for me to start doing all of the PLLs one handed (not the OLLs because I haven't even learnt them yet for 2H solving)?

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average like 55-1:00 for OH. I started practicing for OH in mid February. I can do some PLLs like T, U, A, Ga, Gc perms OH and almost all of the 2 look OLLs. So can you give me suggestions on how to improve at OH. I know that the most important factor for getting faster at any event, especially OH is practice. But is there something beside it that I can do? And is it the correct time for me to start doing all of the PLLs one handed (not the OLLs because I haven't even learnt them yet for 2H solving)?

These are probably already in this thread somewhere... but here are the videos that helped me the most:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5FA0A7B6F5419F6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCetdkl5ygg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DrSZDIcH_I

Antoine, Phil, and Weston's channels are full of great OH material. Check 'em out.

Edit: and the best website for OH specific alg sets is Antoine's: https://sites.google.com/site/antoineccantin/oh

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm starting to love OH. I have very strong fingers and I can TPS very high
I avg around 25 with Like 10 PLLs and a 14 second F2L. I am learning more Algs for LL but any tips on reducing F2L time?
also what are some good splits for say sub 18

E: MY current splits
cross:3.2 seconds
F2L (inc cross) 15.1
LL:9.8

Last edited:

SenorJuan

@OLLiver: As you apparently have good TPS, it sounds like you need lower movecount and fewer cube rotations. And maybe your fast turn speed could be hampering your look-ahead? so do some slower solving, to work on your technique.
Make use of empty slots, know lots of ways to perform a particular step, be able to insert the pair into the diagonally-opposite slot from 'normal' (eg. a z-rotation to insert the BL slot).
I'm guessing other folks will say "show us a video", that may show up your weaknesses more.

Last edited:

Ksh13

WCA
2016HARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Trying to finish off OH PLL, and I am wondering about if you guys use OH specific G perms or just the standard ones?

Edit: Also are there any videos out there about doing cross for OH? Sometimes it eats up way too much of my solve

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
Trying to finish off OH PLL, and I am wondering about if you guys use OH specific G perms or just the standard ones?

Edit: Also are there any videos out there about doing cross for OH? Sometimes it eats up way too much of my solve

I'm not an extremely fast OH solver or anything, but I actually use regular G-perms and I like them. depending on the G-perm you use, if you do them at a certain angle you don't need to make any rotations.

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I am trying to get faster at OH, here are my splits
Cross 3.0 seconds
F2L (not including cross) 11 seconds
LL around 8 seconds.
I know the following PLLs a,e,f,2 g perms,h,j perms, n perms, R perms, U, T,V,Y perms for OH plus 2 look OLL
What do I need to work on most to achieve sub 20?

SuperZecton

Hi,i want to get better and one handed and i've been using ring finger but alot of people have been saying that pinky is better.However,my pinky just can't reach far enough to do a R'.How do i improve,besides buying a smaller cube or making it looser?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,i want to get better and one handed and i've been using ring finger but alot of people have been saying that pinky is better.However,my pinky just can't reach far enough to do a R'.How do i improve,besides buying a smaller cube or making it looser?
Look at asmallkitten's video on oh. Also, unless you have small hands, you should be fine if you just keep drilling.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
A month ago my pinky couldn't reach for R' either. I did the sexy move over and over for and forced myself to stretch my pinky and use it for R'. Yes, my pinky hurt a little for a couple of days, but after a week I was wondering how I had ever found it difficult. I think my grip has shifted to make it easier or something.