• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

G0ingInsqne

WCA
2020XUHU01
I have no idea. I thought pencil at first, but it didnt go away when I used an eraser. Maybe just scratches, hopefully not physical damage
Keep rubbing it repeatedly, any idea what caused the marks? Most substances wear off after being repeatedly rubbed. I got ink on my GTS2M once, I got a towel, and rubbed it repeatedly for a bit, worked.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Can you listen to music with earbuds with solving in comp?
Short answer: No
2i) While competing, competitors must not use electronics or audio equipment (e.g. cell phones, MP3 players, dictaphones, additional lighting) apart from the Stackmat timer or stopwatch.
  • 2i1) Competitors may use non-electronic aids that do not give an unfair advantage, at the discretion of the WCA Delegate. This includes:
    • 2i1a) Medical/physical aids worn by the competitor (e.g. glasses, wrist brace). As an exception to Regulation 2i, medical aids may be electronic if the competitor does not have comfortable non-electronic alternatives (e.g. if the competitor has a personal hearing aid or pacemaker).
    • 2i1b) Earplugs and earmuffs (but not electronic headphones and earbuds).
    • 2i1c) Hand warmers.
    • 2i1d) Food and drink.

inkoativ

Dear Forum,

I have a beginner's question about the meaning of regulation 2k6, which says:

2k) At the discretion of the WCA Delegate, a competitor may be disqualified from some events (a single event, multiple events, or all events) if the competitor:
2k6) Does not fulfill the event's requirements (e.g. not knowing how to solve the puzzle). A competitor must not compete with the expectation of a DNF result or an intentionally poor result.

My question is, if the above means that I as a competitor should be good enough to expect to stay within the cut-off time for the event?

I'm asking, since I'd like to go to a competition and try out some events, where I as a newbie am not very skilled (e.g., 4x4x4, 5x5x5) and am pretty sure that I will not make it within the cut-off time of the competition unless it's a lucky scramble [1]. In other words, I expect to DNF. Can I still compete? Would the Delegate be allowed to exclude me, if I before solving tell the judge, that he/she should keep an eye on the timer, because I expect to go beyond the cut-off time?

I know it's a bit silly question, but I'm supposed to read the rules before going, so it would be good to know...

/inkoativ

[1] Reformulating the above in technical terms: I estimate the probability of my solve time to be below the cut-off to be less than 50%. In other words: E( I(solve-time < cut-off) ) = P( solve time < cut-off) < 0.5, where I is the indicator function. In other words P( Attempt will be a DNF) > 50%, i.e. I expect to DNF, which would trigger 2k6?

MEF227

Hello! I am soon going to attend my first WCA competition. I will compete in 3x3, and maybe 2x2, 4x4, and skewb. My question is, if you register, but then decide you don't want to compete in an event, are you allowed to pull out of the event? There is a cut-off for 4x4 and I want to get faster, but I don't know if I can get my time down in time for the comp. This thread can also serve for other comp questions.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dear Forum,

My question is, if the above means that I as a competitor should be good enough to expect to stay within the cut-off time for the event?

I'm asking, since I'd like to go to a competition and try out some events, where I as a newbie am not very skilled (e.g., 4x4x4, 5x5x5) and am pretty sure that I will not make it within the cut-off time of the competition unless it's a lucky scramble [1]. In other words, I expect to DNF. Can I still compete? Would the Delegate be allowed to exclude me, if I before solving tell the judge, that he/she should keep an eye on the timer, because I expect to go beyond the cut-off time?

I know it's a bit silly question, but I'm supposed to read the rules before going, so it would be good to know...

/inkoativ

[1] Reformulating the above in technical terms: I estimate the probability of my solve time to be below the cut-off to be less than 50%. In other words: E( I(solve-time < cut-off) ) = P( solve time < cut-off) < 0.5, where I is the indicator function. In other words P( Attempt will be a DNF) > 50%, i.e. I expect to DNF, which would trigger 2k6?

I think when you refer to cutoff, you mean time limit. You are only stopped and given a DNF when you reach the time limit. The cutoff just determines how many solves you get to do. (cutoff \leq time limit)

If you think it's unlikely (I'm not sure there's an exact point, such as 50%, that I would assign) you'll get below the time limit then it would be best not to sign up for that event, to help the competition run smoothly.

You should still sign up even if you only won't make the cutoff though.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Dear Forum,

/inkoativ

I think it’s fine, that regulation is just to stop spammers who are intentionally DNFing and +2ing for the sake of it. What that line means is that don’t compete wanting to DNF. You will of course want to get your times counted, so that is good enough.
tl;dr I think it’s fine, do your solves. Might want to get someone to confirm though. I’ve only competed once.
@Kit Clement

EDIT:
  • 2k6+) CLARIFICATION WCA Delegates should only use their discretion to prevent competitors from being a severe detriment to the competition (e.g. wasting time and/or competition resources). Competitors should not be disqualified for a "poor" result when they are competing to the best of their abilities.
If you click open the book icon on the WCA homepage, there’s ’Regulations’ and below, ‘Guidelines’. Check that if you’re confused after reading through :)

inkoativ

I think when you refer to cutoff, you mean time limit. You are only stopped and given a DNF when you reach the time limit. The cutoff just determines how many solves you get to do. (cutoff \leq time limit)

If you think it's unlikely (I'm not sure there's an exact point, such as 50%, that I would assign) you'll get below the time limit then it would be best not to sign up for that event, to help the competition run smoothly.

Thanks for answering. Yes, that should have been time-limit instead of cut-off - mixed up those two. My reasoning was about the same as your so I withdrew from 4x4x4 after having signed up for it and based on 2k6. However, from a newbie point of view the time-limit is for me the indication of what the limit is for the competition to run smoothly. So I'm fine being DNF'ed after a while, but the 2k6 IMHO is a little harsher, as the tone isn't very newcomer friendly... The guideline interpretation pointed out by @PetrusQuber

Competitors should not be disqualified for a "poor" result when they are competing to the best of their abilities.

does sound a little nicer, so I ponder, if there isn't a nicer way to tell this in the regulations... ;) If I got it right, suggestions about improvements can be made on github, so maybe I'll try my luck there at some point. Thanks for your help.

MEF227

You should still sign up even if you only won't make the cutoff though.
I'm still a bit confused. This is the info provided on the competition's page, copy and pasted.
4x4x4 CubeCombined FinalBo2 / Ao54:00.002 attempts to get < 1:30.00
I average between 2:00-2:30 (depending on if I mess up centers or get parity).

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm still a bit confused. This is the info provided on the competition's page, copy and pasted.

You should definitely sign up for 4x4x4 then. You are far under the time limit of 4:00 so you won't get DNFed for going over. You won't make the 1:30 cutoff, which means that you'll only get to do your first two solves.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Like @Keroma12 said, definitely sign up for it, you’ll get a couple of singles anyway, and there is a non-zero chance that you’ll get lucky and get an average.

When I organize competitions I have two goals: I want to compete, and I want to give other people the opportunity to compete. I organized a competition yesterday, there was one guy who took just over 6 minutes to solve a Megaminx. Since the time limit was 6:00 he DNFed his first two solves and didn’t get to do an average, but it was absolutely fine that he tried. I judged his first attempt, and my only regret is that he missed getting an official success by less than 7 seconds.