• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was going for a sub 5 clock single and got a 4.87 first sub 5!!!! But it was half a turn off would that be a DNF in competition and should I count it???
Wow. I'm surprised there's a gaping hole in the WCA regulations for that! I guess it's because it's so rare that a Clock winds up halfway between two positions. Judging by the regulations for other puzzles, I'd think that if it's no more than 50% to the next setting, it would still count - that would fit the spirit of the regulations for the other puzzles. But if it's the slightest bit more than 50% toward the next setting, I'd say it should be a DNF. If this is not the way it would be judged by the WCA, I'd say we need a clarification in the rules for it.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow. I'm surprised there's a gaping hole in the WCA regulations for that! I guess it's because it's so rare that a Clock winds up halfway between two positions. Judging by the regulations for other puzzles, I'd think that if it's no more than 50% to the next setting, it would still count - that would fit the spirit of the regulations for the other puzzles. But if it's the slightest bit more than 50% toward the next setting, I'd say it should be a DNF. If this is not the way it would be judged by the WCA, I'd say we need a clarification in the rules for it.
That happened to me in comp. It was pretty much exactly half way. The delegate put it in the delegate report and it wasn't DNFed.

Smcuber

Anyone know of updates for Nats 2019?? Last year it was posted on December 15th iirc. I don’t have a Facebook so I’m just wondering if I’m missing smt

AMCuber

I think I already know the answer to this, but are custom color schemes allowed? I am only changing one color and I don't want to change the stickers then learn it's not allowed

Thom S.

I think I already know the answer to this, but are custom color schemes allowed? I am only changing one color and I don't want to change the stickers then learn it's not allowed

Custom color schemes are allowed as stated in Article 3 .
You can change the stickers on the side you want to change as long as the face keeps one uniform color

SdnS

WCA
2018SEXT01
Some how, some way, my qiyi big sail has beaten my expensive fancy 3x3s that I use in comps and at home. And I’m trying to figure out if it’s comp legal or not, cause I want to use it in a competition but I’m scared to use it cause I don’t want to get DNFed. :I

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some how, some way, my qiyi big sail has beaten my expensive fancy 3x3s that I use in comps and at home. And I’m trying to figure out if it’s comp legal or not, cause I want to use it in a competition but I’m scared to use it cause I don’t want to get DNFed. :I
What the responders above said is correct. And you're in the clear since you're not screwing around. However, super-large or super-small cubes CAN be barred from use by a delegate if they determine that you're not trying to do your best. For example, anyone using the Heshu 18cm cube is clearly not trying to get their best-possible time. Thus that cube would likely be barred. A Big Sail, however, would not be a problem.

Side note: I love my Big Sail. I magnetized it and it's one of my favorite cubes.

thewagneroca

What's that one competition, in Poland I think, that used cellphones connected to stacktimers to automatically upload times? Competitors and judges had magnetic cards and whatnot. It happend around ~2010, IIRC.
I've dug around in the forum but can't seem to find it.
Thanks!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel

xyzzy

Figure I should ask before I go to a comp tomorrow and end up getting my cube rejected:

If I remove most of the centre caps on my stickerless Wuji (basically, all of them except the ones that cover the screws), so it looks like this (pardon the crappy picture), this should still be comp legal, right?

The only possible point of contention might be 3j/3j2, but all of the pieces in the same orbits still look identical in shape. (To whatever extent this might fail 3j, pillowed cubes should also fail 3j for the same reason, but pillowed cubes are allowed.)

xyzzy

I'm willing to bet money that this puzzle is not going to be allowed, but I can't base this on anything but gut feeling. Except maybe 3a2 or 3d2.
Thing is, the plastic obviously does have a uniform colour.

If we were to throw out puzzles where shadows cause the perceived colour to be different, that would also exclude most of the not-completely-convex puzzles, such as the Galaxy v1/v2, GTS3, Aoyan, etc. Stickerless puzzles with primary internals (e.g. Shadow, Spark) also have slightly different perceived colours.

(I'm obviously biased because putting back all those centre caps would take minutes of my precious time, and also increase the risk of DNF from having multiple caps fall off (5b5d). Can't get popped caps if there aren't any to pop!)