• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

xyzzy

So the initial scramble needs to have nothing that cancels or partially cancels an F at the beginning or an R' at the end.
There's one important caveat here: you need to start with a random state, then find a solution to that that doesn't start with R* and doesn't end with F*. If you instead generate random states until the scramble sequence satisfies those constraints, this introduces a minor bias to the scrambles. (This is already mentioned in the GH issue, but it's worth highlighting separately; generating random-state scrambles comes with a whole bunch of subtleties that might be missed on first glance.)

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Worlds only happens once every 2 years, usually in July. The next one will be in 2019, but no location has been announced yet.
Do you know (or anyone for that matter) know a rough location of where World 2019 will be? I know that it takes a while for the WCA to decide on Worlds, but I am just curious if any new info has been released, especially since these forums is my only way for cubing update's, since I do not have Facebook, Twitter etc.

Edit: I just remembered that there is a thread already created for Worlds 2019, so sorry that I did not post this there, but thank you moderates in advance for moving it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is still too early to know. Applications for World Championships are now being accepted (through July 15); you can read about it here:
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/applications-for-world-championship-2019

I would guess that the details of the proposals are probably the most significant factor that they will consider when making the decision, but it would seem to me that, all things being equal, something in Asia might make a lot of sense since it has been a while since Asia has had World Championships (2011 in Thailand).

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
It is still too early to know. Applications for World Championships are now being accepted (through July 15); you can read about it here:
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/applications-for-world-championship-2019

I would guess that the details of the proposals are probably the most significant factor that they will consider when making the decision, but it would seem to me that, all things being equal, something in Asia might make a lot of sense since it has been a while since Asia has had World Championships (2011 in Thailand).
Thank you very much for that, much appreciated:) Do you know if the US is thinking about applying? I doubt they are but I thought I would ask. Thanks

Thom S.

The Rainbow Cube and Siamese Cube(s) because there wasn't enough interest in it

The WCA in 2007 said:
  • Art. 9a/d, removed Siamese Cube, Rainbow Cube from the events. Not enough interest from the community for these events. For future versions we have to come to a method of deciding which events should be official.

You could count Multi old Style as removed.
Magic and Master Magic as they are no puzzles.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Do you think the new GTS3M will be legal for BLD? I ask because the edges make it distinctive.

Follow-on question: if say it IS legal for 3BLD would it still be legal for use in MBLD? Clearly it’s distinctiveness could be used to aid the Cuber to ensure they were on the “correct” cube....

Hazel

Premium Member
Do you think the new GTS3M will be legal for BLD? I ask because the edges make it distinctive.

Follow-on question: if say it IS legal for 3BLD would it still be legal for use in MBLD? Clearly it’s distinctiveness could be used to aid the Cuber to ensure they were on the “correct” cube....
As long as the ridges don't differ between pieces I don't see why it wouldn't be. As for MBLD, you're allowed to have cubes of significantly different sizes (eg. a mini Valk and a Big Sail) so I don't see this being a big issue.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
As long as the ridges don't differ between pieces I don't see why it wouldn't be. As for MBLD, you're allowed to have cubes of significantly different sizes (eg. a mini Valk and a Big Sail) so I don't see this being a big issue.
Interesting... and thank you