• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you go above the 2:00 in both of your first two solves, you get a DNF average for the Ao5.

Actually you just don't get an average. If you have two DNF times in a complete average, then you get a DNF.
Even if you go over 4:00 on both of your first two solves, you simply don't get an average, not a DNF average.

Although, in fear of @Ranzha reprimanding me, I checked the regulations, and it looks like one should get a DNF average? o_O

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#9f
  • 9f9) For "Average of 5" rounds, one DNF or DNS is permitted to count as the competitor's worst result of the round. If a competitor has more than one DNF and/or DNS result in the round, their average result for the round is DNF.
However, the three worst results (notably me) of the sq-1 combined final have two DNF/DNS' but don't have a DNF average.
https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions/Michigan2017/results/all#esq1_c

Is this something (awarding DNF averages for DNFing cutoffs) that competitions should start doing, something that should be fixed in the regulations, or something that I missed?

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
[...] I checked the regulations, and it looks like one should get a DNF average? o_O

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#9f
  • 9f9) For "Average of 5" rounds, one DNF or DNS is permitted to count as the competitor's worst result of the round. If a competitor has more than one DNF and/or DNS result in the round, their average result for the round is DNF.
[...]

That's why combined rounds exist (which you need to use in order to have a cut-off). It's a combination of Average of 5 and Best of 2. If you don't make cutoff then you were actually in a best of 2 round, so 9f9 doesn't apply. (Analogously for mean of 3 events.)

Duncan Bannon

Magnetic clocks are legal right?

And a small discoloration on a 5x5 is legal right? Ill provide pictures, when I can find out how to upload pictures.... Thanks!

Hazel

Premium Member
Would this 7x7 be competition legal with that corner defect? My guess is no.
1QD3vIg.jpg

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Magnetic clocks are legal right?

And a small discoloration on a 5x5 is legal right? Ill provide pictures, when I can find out how to upload pictures.... Thanks!
3h) Modifications that enhance the basic concept of a puzzle are not permitted. Modified versions of puzzles are permitted only if the modification does not make any additional information available to the competitor (e.g. orientation or identity of pieces), compared to an unmodified version of the same puzzle.

Yes, magnetic puzzles are legal, as long as they don't make additional information available.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
My clock is partially open with no tape, has a crack down a side, and has small superglue dots on some corners. Is it comp legal?

E: I should probably mention the dots of glue are on the inside of the casing, not the dial, and don’t affect any movement of the puzzle

Dancing Jules

My clock is partially open with no tape, has a crack down a side, and has small superglue dots on some corners. Is it comp legal?

E: I should probably mention the dots of glue are on the inside of the casing, not the dial, and don’t affect any movement of the puzzle

Not if Laura Ohrndorf is your delegate.

Hazel

Premium Member
Why do all FMC scrambles start and end with R' U' F?
Most FMC solutions (or many at least) start with edge orientation, so this makes sure that the edge orientation isn't super easy. I'm not sure on the specifics but I think regular scrambles would make it too simple or something? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also believe you always end the scramble with R' U' F. I hope this helped somewhat :D
I also have a question regarding this, to convert a regular random state scramble to a legal FMC scramble do you just add on R' U' F to the beginning and end and you're good or is the scramble itself generated differently?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This was actually done to prevent problems with premoves / inverse scrambles - to allow people to find premoves without having to worry so much about using part of the scramble in their solutions. Those 3 moves don't count towards using part of the scramble, which gives some breather for finding premoves.

A good discussion of this change appears here:
https://github.com/thewca/tnoodle/issues/210

Adding on R' U' F to the beginning and end doesn't quite accomplish the requirement, as I unfortunately discovered with my first attempt at adding it in the Weekly Competition - the possibility exists that the scramble being added to might cancel one or more of those moves, which would defeat the purpose. So the initial scramble needs to have nothing that cancels or partially cancels an F at the beginning or an R' at the end. But given that, adding R' U' F to the beginning and end does give a valid scramble for FMC.

Last edited: