• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 4x4 Question Thread

Lykos

Wow, really? I thought 1:20 is already extremely fast. But ok. I'll try to go for 1:20 then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, really? I thought 1:20 is already extremely fast. But ok. I'll try to go for 1:40 then.
For people taking both 3x3 and 4x4 equally seriously, the average seems to be more or less at 4 times slower at 4x4 than 3x3. So, if you aim at sub-20 at 3x3, 80 sec (1:20) at 4x4 would be reasonable. If you are going to practice less, maybe sub 1:30 would be more realistic. I'm at around 19sec avg at 3x3 but I'm just starting to take 4x4 more seriously now and I'm still at around 1:35 avg at 4x4.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm at roughly 35-40 on 3x3 and 2:15-2:20 on 4x4, or ~3.75 x 3x3 = 4x4. That's with more 4x4 practice. However, it seems like especially if I get parity I can easily end up with 50+ seconds of a 2:20 solve after I finish reduction. I think my best 4x4 solve I finished reduction around 1:05-1:10 for a total of 1:43.75. I use Yau, so the cross is already complete. I think if I got my 3x3 times down under 30 reliably I could easily average not much over 1:30 on 4x4, or about 3.25x.

Drad

Can someone link me to advanced center making for yau 4x4?
I think its a intuitive process and I don't think anyone has made a tutorial on it but you can look for videos for tips and tricks on center making.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone link me to advanced center making for yau 4x4?
You can check how to do half centers in this video:

I don't use it because I had already learned to intuitively build one full center at a time and I were not able to get any faster with this method but maybe for you it's worth it to check it out.

jaredye

Is there an alg that swap 4x4 opposite centers while keeping the paring of edges? The reason I ask is that when I do Yau, sometime I don't start with white/yellow because there are easier centers for other colors. Then when I do last 4 centers I occasionally swap white/yellow positions and I don't realize until the 3x3 stage.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there an alg that swap 4x4 opposite centers while keeping the paring of edges? The reason I ask is that when I do Yau, sometime I don't start with white/yellow because there are easier centers for other colors. Then when I do last 4 centers I occasionally swap white/yellow positions and I don't realize until the 3x3 stage.

M2 Uw2 U2 M2 Uw2

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I use Rw2 U2 D2 Rw2

jaredye

Thanks guys!

Another question. I found my slowest part of Yau is paring up the first 3 white edge pairs. Since they can be anywhere on the cube, the look ahead is pretty hard. Is there any tips on the best way of finding the first 3 white pairs?

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks guys!

Another question. I found my slowest part of Yau is paring up the first 3 white edge pairs. Since they can be anywhere on the cube, the look ahead is pretty hard. Is there any tips on the best way of finding the first 3 white pairs?

That is what made me switch to HoYa. I felt I was able to keep the cube more centered and although the pieces could still be anywhere it is for some reason easier to spot each one.

Sorry, don't have much help other than that. :)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks guys!

Try learning to solve F2C BLD and track the first pair of edges you can find and so on

xyzzy

On the internal center piece ring of 4x4, it has a ridge on one part if it. What's that for? Can I just grind that down on each ring to reduce catching?

It's there to force the core to be aligned to one side of the puzzle. Otherwise, you can't ensure that the core remains aligned with the layers after performing a wide/slice move and the whole puzzle will lock up.

Reactions: Dom

EveRest

How do i solve a 4x4? :(
i know this is a fairly common question but i can't find an easy enough resource to learn it from

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
How do i solve a 4x4? :(
i know this is a fairly common question but i can't find an easy enough resource to learn it from

Basically you solve the centers first, then pair up edges without scrambling centers, then solve as a 3x3.

I think this is the best tutorial I've found, although it is a little more advanced:

There are other videos that are good as well, and you will need a few other algorithms. Most notably:

Edge flip: RU R' F R' F' R

OLL parity (last layer of 3x3 stage there are an odd number of edges oriented correctly): Lw' U2 x Lw' U2 Lw' U2 Lw U2 Rw' U2 Lw U2 Lw' U2 Lw U2 Lw

PLL parity:
After OLL one of the following is the case:
2 adjoining 3x1 bars on the last layer
2 3x1 bars diagonal from each other
No bars but some sides have headlights and some don't
There are only 2 edge pairs or 2 corners that are out of place
If one of these is true, then do the following algorithm where r is just an inner slice move:
r2 U2 r2 Uw2 r2 Uw2

With that you should be able to figure it out, but if you can't this is probably the right place to ask.

chrk623

[4x4] I am aware of oll and pll parity however ive been getting cases at the oll stage like this and i have no idea what to do.
vXJON
http://imgur.com/a/vXJON