• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Oldmancfop

Cross solutions? After a year of learning the cube there are still many occasions where I cannot see an elegant and efficient solution to the cross. Using the following scramble as an example:
(green front, white top) U2 R L U' L R2 U2 R' U L' R' U' B' U2 D' F2 B D2 B' R
I always do a white cross, the best I can come up with is: (blue front, white bottom) R' U' F' L F' U2 R B2 F'
Suggestions to a better solution?

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Cross solutions? After a year of learning the cube there are still many occasions where I cannot see an elegant and efficient solution to the cross. Using the following scramble as an example:
I always do a white cross, the best I can come up with is: (blue front, white bottom) R' U' F' L F' U2 R B2 F'

I'm not good at this but found an interesting slice move cross: x' y (red front / blue top) S' R' D R2 D F'

Tom Joad

Facing green.... L U F’ L D2 L2

Or, finish with a wide U2 R2 then put your green orange pair in the back

Oldmancfop

I have never used slice moves and can't get this to work, is your suggestion the equivalent to: (White bottom, blue front) M' B' D B2 D R'?

Tom Joad

I have never used slice moves and can't get this to work, is your suggestion the equivalent to: (White bottom, blue front) M' B' D B2 D R'?

Yes his slice is just like the M B combination you describe with white bottom... edit, I mean F B combo

Tom Joad

I was going to try to contribute the first thing I saw when inspecting it - and this is exactly what I came up with too.

Home grip

It’s the same as the first one I posted but after three moves, to insert orange, instead of L just flick the wideR up so white is on the front...

Tom Joad

I see, I like, I'll get there, I think!

Check out jperms cross video on youtube.

It’s not his first one or second, it’s from about a month ago and is all about efficient finger trick-friendly solutions.

He does about ten examples, first giving you the scramble then asking you to pause and find your own solution then watch his solution.

You could spend a whole hour just thinking about each one. To just watch it once from start to finish would miss the point, I think.

I keep meaning to go back to it. My cross solutions are poor when it is more than five moves and I need a lot of time to think about things to come up with a good solution. I only posted the one above after being inspired by open seas slice suggestion which made me start thinking about it.

Anyway happy cubing

Oldmancfop

Check out jperms cross video on youtube.

It’s not his first one or second, it’s from about a month ago and is all about efficient finger trick-friendly solutions.

He does about ten examples, first giving you the scramble then asking you to pause and find your own solution then watch his solution.

You could spend a whole hour just thinking about each one. To just watch it once from start to finish would miss the point, I think.

I keep meaning to go back to it. My cross solutions are poor when it is more than five moves and I need a lot of time to think about things to come up with a good solution. I only posted the one above after being inspired by open seas slice suggestion which made me start thinking about it.

Anyway happy cubing
Thanks, sounds good, I'll check it out. If nothing else it might serve as inspiration and encourage me to stop being lazy with my cross.

Oldmancfop

There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on this thread anymore. Have all older cubers come to their senses and given up or are discussions now held elsewhere?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity on this thread anymore. Have all older cubers come to their senses and given up or are discussions now held elsewhere?
I think Facebook may have taken yet another victim. I don’t have Facebook as a matter of principle and because I find Facebook both as a concept and as a company terrifying. I’m still cubing, pissed at the WCA for their handling of Feet, and organizing a competition at the end of this month (Feet) and hopefully in February (big cubes).

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I think discussions have shifted to Facebook. I too, am still cubing. Mostly just lots and lots of 3x3. Have put more focus on 4x4 over the past few months, but recently not much time available. So, again.... just lots of 3x3 solves. Hopefully my lookahead is improving. Next comp is Jan 11. We will see what happens there.