• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
absoruud
I've been using the Dayan TengYun M for about 6 months, it's a lovely cube but I just fancy a change. It's expensive but I'm tempted with the 356xs. Anyone tried it yet?
If you want something completely different from the TengYun and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, try the Thunderclap V3 M. It's loud, clacky, heavy and snappy.

If you want something similar to the TengYun... just use the TengYun. :)

Oldmancfop

If you want something completely different from the TengYun and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, try the Thunderclap V3 M. It's loud, clacky, heavy and snappy.

If you want something similar to the TengYun... just use the TengYun. :)
Yep, not sure the thunderclap's the one for me!

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
absoruud
Yep, not sure the thunderclap's the one for me!
I hated it at first, I was very disappointed, but now I kind of love it. I get my best times on it, including sub 20s (My PB single is 16) and my PB Ao5 of 21.71, so I can't complain. I have basically 5 cubes to choose from now that all get me good times: Supernova Yuxin Little Magic M, MeiLong 3 M medium, MeiLong 3 M strong, DaYan TengYun 3x3x3 M and Thunderclap V3 M. But they're all very different. The MeiLong Ms are both fairly flexible, fast and light, they require a very light turning style. The YLM is very stable, but light and you can get a little rough with it and it won't lock up or anything, very good cube. The DaYan you know, the Thunderclap I already described.

I also have the GTS2, which is very good, but mine is stock, because it's my first speedcube and I am not gonna do anything with it, including lubing, magnetizing and tensioning. There's also the YuLong V2 M, but I don't like it as much now that I'm 10-15 seconds faster than when I bought it. It locks up a lot at higher tps. The Kylin V2 M is very stable and quiet, but it's not a cube I get my best times on. It's a bit locky and stiff. I personally still like the Warrior W, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sub 30. It's fun to solve with though, and it makes you turn slower, so it's good as a practice cube.

Oldmancfop

I hated it at first, I was very disappointed, but now I kind of love it. I get my best times on it, including sub 20s (My PB single is 16) and my PB Ao5 of 21.71, so I can't complain. I have basically 5 cubes to choose from now that all get me good times: Supernova Yuxin Little Magic M, MeiLong 3 M medium, MeiLong 3 M strong, DaYan TengYun 3x3x3 M and Thunderclap V3 M. But they're all very different. The MeiLong Ms are both fairly flexible, fast and light, they require a very light turning style. The YLM is very stable, but light and you can get a little rough with it and it won't lock up or anything, very good cube. The DaYan you know, the Thunderclap I already described.

I also have the GTS2, which is very good, but mine is stock, because it's my first speedcube and I am not gonna do anything with it, including lubing, magnetizing and tensioning. There's also the YuLong V2 M, but I don't like it as much now that I'm 10-15 seconds faster than when I bought it. It locks up a lot at higher tps. The Kylin V2 M is very stable and quiet, but it's not a cube I get my best times on. It's a bit locky and stiff. I personally still like the Warrior W, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sub 30. It's fun to solve with though, and it makes you turn slower, so it's good as a practice cube.
Lots of info here, much appreciated. I'm averaging at 25-27 seconds, anything sub 25 is a good time for me. I've had a non magnet Gan Air, absolutely hated the GES nuts, MoYu gts3, loved when I bought it, very stable but I now find the magnets too strong. The TengYun has been great but my fingers stick to it if they get a little damp, or slip off it it if they get very dry, it's smooth and quiet but even with my slow tps it seems a bit unstable if I try a fast pll. The 356XS appealed for it easy spring/magnet strength adjustment, the frosted finish (which I imagine may bit a bit slippery but hopefully consistent without the grip extremes of the Tengyun) and hopefully a stable cube as I start to get a little faster. I also like the look of the XS. If it was £15 less I would buy it without hesitation.

Oldmancfop

Cross solutions? After a year of learning the cube there are still many occasions where I cannot see an elegant and efficient solution to the cross. Using the following scramble as an example:
(green front, white top) U2 R L U' L R2 U2 R' U L' R' U' B' U2 D' F2 B D2 B' R
I always do a white cross, the best I can come up with is: (blue front, white bottom) R' U' F' L F' U2 R B2 F'
Suggestions to a better solution?

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Cross solutions? After a year of learning the cube there are still many occasions where I cannot see an elegant and efficient solution to the cross. Using the following scramble as an example:
I always do a white cross, the best I can come up with is: (blue front, white bottom) R' U' F' L F' U2 R B2 F'
I'm not good at this but found an interesting slice move cross: x' y (red front / blue top) S' R' D R2 D F'

Tom Joad

Facing green.... L U F’ L D2 L2

Or, finish with a wide U2 R2 then put your green orange pair in the back

Oldmancfop

I have never used slice moves and can't get this to work, is your suggestion the equivalent to: (White bottom, blue front) M' B' D B2 D R'?

Tom Joad

I have never used slice moves and can't get this to work, is your suggestion the equivalent to: (White bottom, blue front) M' B' D B2 D R'?
Yes his slice is just like the M B combination you describe with white bottom... edit, I mean F B combo

Tom Joad

I was going to try to contribute the first thing I saw when inspecting it - and this is exactly what I came up with too.
Home grip

It’s the same as the first one I posted but after three moves, to insert orange, instead of L just flick the wideR up so white is on the front...

Tom Joad

I see, I like, I'll get there, I think!
Check out jperms cross video on youtube.

It’s not his first one or second, it’s from about a month ago and is all about efficient finger trick-friendly solutions.

He does about ten examples, first giving you the scramble then asking you to pause and find your own solution then watch his solution.

You could spend a whole hour just thinking about each one. To just watch it once from start to finish would miss the point, I think.

I keep meaning to go back to it. My cross solutions are poor when it is more than five moves and I need a lot of time to think about things to come up with a good solution. I only posted the one above after being inspired by open seas slice suggestion which made me start thinking about it.

Anyway happy cubing